• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Engine oil pressure reading

Guest E200

Does anybody know what is the acceptable reading for engine oil pressure for our W124? My ride shows "3" when the car is moving, but when I the car is stationary it falls to about slightly above "2". So is "2" acceptable or too low??

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest damagecar

I encountered this also (w124-8v) and tried to compare with other w124. In the end, I just treat it as normal since our ride is more than 15yo. Also, I have no problem when car is at idle.

I hope to hear from any professional bros here who can confirm that this "engine oil pressure" can be ractified too.

Does anybody know what is the acceptable reading for engine oil pressure for our W124? My ride shows "3" when the car is moving, but when I the car is stationary it falls to about slightly above "2". So is "2" acceptable or too low??

it's normal

when my car was new, it was between 1 to 2 level. When it reach 10 years,it's higher at above 2

Guest noelhon

I experience the same thing (8v), when driving, it confirm go up to 3. but when idle, it will drop betw 1 to 2. i guess shld b norm as my mech also didnt say otherwise, keep my fingers cross....

Guest damagecar

let me add on to the puzzle

mine is permanently stuck to 3 ... regardless moving or stationary , hot temp or cold

is this a good or bad sign ?

good

Guest E200

mine is permanently stuck to 3 ... regardless moving or stationary , hot temp or cold

Correct me if I'm wrong... was looking at the owner's manual and it said something about pressure reading dropping during idle. H/v, it says that when the car accelerates, this MUST go up. So I believe going up and down is probably normal - just that we don't know how much "down" can it tolerate.

Hence, permanently stuck to 3 may not be a good sign, afterall. Suggest you have that checked, otherwise you could be driving at very low pressure without realizing it...

Guest angela

erm, just a wild guess, but maybe the needle reading is faulty and only goes to the 3rd position when engine is on?

erm, just a wild guess, but maybe the needle reading is faulty and only goes to the 3rd position when engine is on?

touch wood i hope No

Cannot be lah, bro... there are many of us with the same observation leh... can't be that all the W124s have this same fault, right?

previously, mine was slightly above 2 while stationary and 3 on the move when using 15W40 engine oil. was told by someone in this forum to try on thicker oil and it worked. presently, using 20w50 thicker oil and it stays at 3 even stationary. will monitor for another week and will update you guys! Mechanic told me that thicker oil needs more power to drive the tank and hence will burn more fuel, whereas thinner oil base will have better fuel consumption??? :thumbsup: