• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Draught stop - important?

Guest stealth123

Guest stealth123

Hi all,

I am currently comtemplating a slk purchase and am trying to figure out what the necessary items / options.

Some questions come to my mind ...

- is the draught stop important?

- how about smart top? I see this item here listed on wishlists here

- is there such thing as iPod integration where song titles will pop up on the car's LCD?

- what other options should I be considering?

Would appreciate all your inputs... :)

- mave

Guest Sareve

The draught stop isn't important at all unless you have long hair and it will actually break if you drive too fast with it installed. I used to wear a hair band when driving lol.

Some inputs from me:

Draught stop is important if you dont want your hair to be messy when you drive. It helps. Its expensive too.

Smart top is not factory fitted and can only be fitted outside. MBM is the place to go. Mine is fitted with Smart top cos Piecha jam my hardtop halfway. It is useful as you can travel while you transform. Also you can open or close by pressing 3 times open or close instead of needing to press and hold the open/close key. With smarttop you can also open the window only while you are outside of your car via pressing 2 times open. Smarttop also enables you to open your entire window (back included), something default cant.

Ipod integration from CnC only enables you to see the song title from your instrument cluster. On your Audio it shows nothing. Furthermore the song title is not complete if the title is long. Artist names and informations are not shown as well. Its a bummer but it saves your trouble needing to find compatibility outside CnC.

You should consider the Sport package as it comes with options that you cant get outside. Eg the red seat belt and the dark headlamp.

:)

Guest stealth123

Sareve & OKL,

Thank you both for your input - very useful! :)

Just surfed around a bit and found the iPod integration kit on http://www.comandonline.co.uk/product.php?productid=16208&cat=279&page=1

Is this something that can be purchased online and installed locally? Are there shops which helps with this? Or is this product available locally?

Also - with the Smart Top - any indication of how much it will cost?

-mave

Guest redhood

Hi, and welcome!

Draft stop is important to create a cosy environment when you drive with top down. MBM has quote $780 for Smart Top including installation. You might wanna check with them again.

Ipod integration is not possible if you are buying pre-FL SLK. only FL models are compatible with C&C integration kit. For pre-FL, you'll need after market, such as Dension Gateway 500, which will not allow you to see song titles on instrument panels or Audio 20. The Dension will set you back a little more than $1000 including installation at Pin Liang.

Happy modding!

Guest stealth123

yeah - i currently use a RF transmitter.. it's actually quite hard to find a free frequency.

And when I drive from SG northwards... I usually have to adjust the frequency along the way... and it's quite a pain ...

Agree with redhood that we lose quite a bit of sound quality with the RF transmitter also.

Guest stealth123

looooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnngggggg waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy more....

I'm looking at the SLk280... and it has to be indented (hard to find stock in SG).. so the waiting time is approx 5 months.

Altho... I'm rather tempted to get the SLK350... but that car is even harder to come by....

Can i also seek your thoughts around the anti-dazzle mirror... Do you guys use yours? Is it something worth spending money on?

Guest ACSLK

Hi stealth123,

5 months (OMG)..............

Anti-dazzle mirror is good.............but if it is not too ex (why not)

you buying frim C&C?

SLK350 better 7G plus 306hp n 360nm vs SLK280 231hp and 300nm

cheers...........

Guest redhood

Anti dazzle, if it works, should be very useful. The Slk is a low car, thus we regularly get blinded by tall cars behind, especially with ill-adjusted headlights.

But mine doesn't work as well as it should. Dunno whether it is not effective or I don't have it. Ha ha!

Guest stealth123

*smile* ha ha.. yeah, I think i agree with you Redhood - cause since the SLK is rather low, its driver will be very impacted by headlamps of the cars behind.

Makes sense...

Before i started considering the SLK, I was actually looking at the Alfa Spider - I remember the sales folks were trying to convince me that the car doesn't come with anti dazzle because it's not needed...

Think the option is gonna cost me abt 1K.

No, I'm not getting from C&C ... the price difference between PI and them is really too significant to ignore.

Guest ACSLK

Hi stealth123,

oh i see (PI)..........congras.......

maybe you wanna drop by this Sunday at 4.30pm to 6.30pm: Kallang Car Park F......to check out more SLKs

cheers

• 1 month later...
Guest stealth123

Hi all,

I am currently comtemplating a slk purchase and am trying to figure out what the necessary items / options.

Some questions come to my mind ...

- is the draught stop important?

- how about smart top? I see this item here listed on wishlists here

- is there such thing as iPod integration where song titles will pop up on the car's LCD?

- what other options should I be considering?

Would appreciate all your inputs... :)

- mave

after a few weeks now i've been driving my SLK... thought I circle back to put my input on the original questions I asked... to benefit those who are considering options while purchasing their SLK.

Draught stop.. well, i guess this is rather important. Altho I didn't fix one up yet.. but I feel that without one and with the hood down, the wind can get quite uncomfortable if you are travelling around the region of 90km/h and above...

Anti dazzle mirror - gosh yes, important! :) I love my anti dazzle mirror. I didn't use to have it in my old car... and boy, do i treasure it on my SLK now..

Smart top - it's a "got to have it " mod i think. kinda like the ability to lower the hood on one press of the button in the car.. or three press on the unlock button on your key. The alternative (altho i am not 100% sure).. is that you have to keep it pressed while the vario-roof is in motion.

ipod integration - depends pretty much if you are a music fan or not. I have a spare ipod which i intend to plug into the car permanently once my cable comes.

hope the above helps those in search of their next ride.. :)

Guest stealth123

just got my ipod integration cables today - interesting discovery tho.

read in a few places that the ipod integration kit only displays the title on the instrument panel and not on the Comand 20 screen. Mine does leh - it shows up at 2 places - instrument panel and comand 20 screen... *yippee*...

Hi, and welcome!

Draft stop is important to create a cosy environment when you drive with top down. MBM has quote $780 for Smart Top including installation. You might wanna check with them again.

Ipod integration is not possible if you are buying pre-FL SLK. only FL models are compatible with C&C integration kit. For pre-FL, you'll need after market, such as Dension Gateway 500, which will not allow you to see song titles on instrument panels or Audio 20. The Dension will set you back a little more than $1000 including installation at Pin Liang.

Happy modding!

Sorry guys, need to hijack this thread.

Redhood, you mentioned that the FL model are compatible with C&C Integration kit. May I know how much does it cost for that kit ?

Guest stealth123

Sorry guys, need to hijack this thread.

Redhood, you mentioned that the FL model are compatible with C&C Integration kit. May I know how much does it cost for that kit ?

heard it was 1000nish...

Guest redhood

Sorry, I dun know the price but it is probabalh abt 1k. Benzworld has it too. Chk w them.

Actually, FL dun need integration kit. Just get a long aux cable, mount ur iPhone on a Belkin FM mount, plug in and voilà! Cost under $100, I think.