• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

C180 Coupe Battery

Guest tristanC180

Guest tristanC180

Hi all,

I'm driving a C180 coupe...recently the battery symbol appeared on my dashboard...contacted C&C..quoted me 600 bucks for a battery!

Anyone knows which battery is compatible? And which workshops have more experience in Mercs cars?

Thanks!

Guest blackmercs

hi, you may wanna goes to any workshop and ask for a quote. R u AA memeber? if yes, called them and ask for a quote they will send their guy down to replace for you. As for the cost, i m quite sure it wont cost more than $250 bucks.

Guest tristanC180

Hi blackmercs,

Thanks for the reply...do you know of any good brands of batteries? Hankook quoted me 190 for a battery...can't remember the brand but he mentioned that a BM changed to that battery before and it screwed up the circuit board...when that guy brought it to BM to service the car..charges came up to 2000! But then again...they could not prove that the battery messed up the circuit board..

Guest blackmercs

Hi blackmercs,

Thanks for the reply...do you know of any good brands of batteries? Hankook quoted me 190 for a battery...can't remember the brand but he mentioned that a BM changed to that battery before and it screwed up the circuit board...when that guy brought it to BM to service the car..charges came up to 2000! But then again...they could not prove that the battery messed up the circuit board..

hmm i m a newbie too so cant advise you which brand to go for mercs, only cheapo mods!!! To be safe, try MBM as recommended by CKlasse ba. If not, get the model and brand name from them and call afew workshop for quote!!!

Guest tristanC180

yup..C&C workshop said that varta is for conti cars...he ask me to get a quote outside but still recommend that i get it done at C&C...think i'll head to MBM ba...thanks all!

Guest kepiting1sg

Hi all,

I'm driving a C180 coupe...recently the battery symbol appeared on my dashboard...contacted C&C..quoted me 600 bucks for a battery!

Anyone knows which battery is compatible? And which workshops have more experience in Mercs cars?

Thanks!

Battery symbol mean weak battery or alternator charging problem? :wifstupid:

If it's battery IMHO there're 2 brands good for conti cars i.e Varta & Hoppecke.

My previous W203 battery died on me suddenly without warning (internal short circuit) - called AA,

they came & changed with Hoppecke battery - about $200+ <$250

2 weeks ago I went to Autobacs to buy Varta battery for my ride in Batam Island 75A with high 800A cranking current - $200+ <$250

The Varta brand was Varta - Asia.

Autobacs also has Varta battery with packaging that looks like made in Europe but they cost >$300+ for the 85A

BTW Varta car battery or rather Starter Battery is no more German - they have been bought over by Johnson Controls - USA

Guest tristanC180

Hi Kepiting1sg,

Whats the diff between 75A and 85A? What C&C workshop advised was that the brand is not so impt..what's impt is to take note of the voltage...he told me the C180 uses 12V 100AH batteries...

AutoBacs quoted me 300+ for a brand Aurora..but that was before C&C came back to me so i'm not sure wats the power of the batt...

Blackmercs...got Kangtao for job in West ah?? haha...but i shifting to the east soon leh...

Guest blackmercs

Blackmercs...got Kangtao for job in West ah?? haha...but i shifting to the east soon leh...

haha no kangtao lah, come and join us for this coming meetup ya, 28th June at Kallang carpark F. 4.30 pm

cheers

Guest kepiting1sg

Hi Kepiting1sg,

Whats the diff between 75A and 85A? What C&C workshop advised was that the brand is not so impt..what's impt is to take note of the voltage...he told me the C180 uses 12V 100AH batteries...

AutoBacs quoted me 300+ for a brand Aurora..but that was before C&C came back to me so i'm not sure wats the power of the batt...

IMHO,

75A & 85A means 75AH(Ampere Hour) & 85AH(Ampere Hour) respectively.

It's an indication of the battery capacity.

Imagine the battery a pail of water.

85 AH or Ampere Hour mean it contain a higher capacity or "more water"

It's not 75AH will lose out to a 85AH unless U are discharging it with the same load.

In a car, the battery is only for cranking the starter motor to start your engine &

when the engine starts running, the alternator takes over to supply the Direct Current to your car while it

charges the battery when it discharged itself for a short while when it cranked your engine.

The most important is the cranking current i.e the power drawn by the starter motor from the battery.

No doubt a higher capacity battery usually can provide a higher cranking current than one that of lower capacity.

U have to compare "apple to apple" i.e diff. brand & diff. model has diff. performance such as

cranking current, cycle life, charge & discharge characteristics, etc sorry for the mambo jumbo. :iconsalut:

Go take a look at your battery - look for XXXAH to see it's capacity & see if cranking current is also listed on the battery label.

(To update yourself on what is your battery capacity)

1)Easy way is to call AA -IMHO not expensive or

2)Economical way - check battery, buy yourself & changed yourself or

3)if not go to MBM and

4)last but not least go to C & C :death:

Imagine I couldn't get a good imported battery for my Prado Jeep in Batam Island.

Contrary to the island latest FTZ implementation, it was harder to get imported items such as batteries.

1 Sunday I went to Autobacs bought one 75AH Varta battery, put in my W211, carried it home.

Next day, took a cab, lug it to Harbor Front Centre, ferry check in counter,

past customs X-ray, immigration, up the ferry, down the ferry, immigration, custom

and finally got the F$#kin heavy battery finally at last to my jeep.

Waited for the late afternoon cloudy sky, took out the spanners & a muscle man to help me

to change battery(happen to be 85AH Varta battery but with a lower cranking current of 700A - new 75AH but 800A).

(I couldn't wait any longer cos the old battery has been giving "warnings" getting harder & harder

to crank each weekend I left the jeep there) :swduel:

Guest kepiting1sg

haha no kangtao lah, come and join us for this coming meetup ya, 28th June at Kallang carpark F. 4.30 pm

cheers

Cumming to live near Unker arh??? or izzit Ah Wong.....hehehehe!!!!

song song ki julong! changi julong - julong changi..... :twinmfinger:

Welcum!!!! :welcome: Welcum! :welcome:

Guest NewC180

Hi Kepiting1sg,

IMHO,

75A & 85A means 75AH(Ampere Hour) & 85AH(Ampere Hour) respectively.

It's an indication of the battery capacity.

Imagine the battery a pail of water.

85 AH or Ampere Hour mean it contain a higher capacity or "more water"

It's not 75AH will lose out to a 85AH unless U are discharging it with the same load.

In a car, the battery is only for cranking the starter motor to start your engine &

when the engine starts running, the alternator takes over to supply the Direct Current to your car while it

charges the battery when it discharged itself for a short while when it cranked your engine.

The most important is the cranking current i.e the power drawn by the starter motor from the battery.

No doubt a higher capacity battery usually can provide a higher cranking current than one that of lower capacity.

U have to compare "apple to apple" i.e diff. brand & diff. model has diff. performance such as

cranking current, cycle life, charge & discharge characteristics, etc sorry for the mambo jumbo. :iconsalut:

Go take a look at your battery - look for XXXAH to see it's capacity & see if cranking current is also listed on the battery label.

(To update yourself on what is your battery capacity)

1)Easy way is to call AA -IMHO not expensive or

2)Economical way - check battery, buy yourself & changed yourself or

3)if not go to MBM and

4)last but not least go to C & C :death:

Imagine I couldn't get a good imported battery for my Prado Jeep in Batam Island.

Contrary to the island latest FTZ implementation, it was harder to get imported items such as batteries.

1 Sunday I went to Autobacs bought one 75AH Varta battery, put in my W211, carried it home.

Next day, took a cab, lug it to Harbor Front Centre, ferry check in counter,

past customs X-ray, immigration, up the ferry, down the ferry, immigration, custom

and finally got the F$#kin heavy battery finally at last to my jeep.

Waited for the late afternoon cloudy sky, took out the spanners & a muscle man to help me

to change battery(happen to be 85AH Varta battery but with a lower cranking current of 700A - new 75AH but 800A).

(I couldn't wait any longer cos the old battery has been giving "warnings" getting harder & harder

to crank each weekend I left the jeep there) :swduel:

Unker, what an irony! You have to go through so much trouble just to get a VARTA battery for your 'company' vehicle in BATAM!!!

Sorry for OT but just couldn't help it! hahahahaha.....

Guest kepiting1sg

Unker, what an irony! You have to go through so much trouble just to get a VARTA battery for your 'company' vehicle in BATAM!!!

Sorry for OT but just couldn't help it! hahahahaha.....

Diff. division, diff products and we belongs to the Austrian side.....hehehehe!!!

Could have left it with our freight forwarder on the next container to Batam.

Dun wanna see my wife get caught alone if the battery died on her while she drove the jeep. :death:

Guest tristanC180

Kepeting1sg...thanks for the info...checked my batt at Autobacs earlier...its a 12V 74AH...dunno why C&C told me 100AH...anyway batt got no prob...its the alternator charging thats low...so gotta bring down C&C to get it replaced since still under warranty...

28Jun i cannot make it for the meetup man...got class to attend...haha..

Guest kepiting1sg

Kepeting1sg...thanks for the info...checked my batt at Autobacs earlier...its a 12V 74AH...dunno why C&C told me 100AH...anyway batt got no prob...its the alternator charging thats low...so gotta bring down C&C to get it replaced since still under warranty...

28Jun i cannot make it for the meetup man...got class to attend...haha..

Battery symbol mean weak battery or alternator charging problem?

Glad that I was right the 1st time abt alternator charging problem!! :clap:

Guest kepiting1sg

:clap: :clap: :clap:

May i know what time you guys are staying till on Sunday?

I finish class at 5pm..may join the meetup after that..

We usually hang around till 6+ pm.

Hope to see you there! :thumbsup:

Guest blackmercs

Guys...sorry i couldn't make it that day..i'll try to make it for the next meetup...cheers!

No worries, during the meetup saw one C180 coupe, i thought is you!!! So hopefully next meetup we have a twins C180 and CLC??

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Cklasse

Damn...missed the meetup again...only logged in today...haha...

Always remember it's at the last Sunday of the month. Now please put it in your PDA or handphone calendar or on your wall. Think on your car bonnet will not forget. :2guns: :apwink: