• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

(help) metallic rattling/grinding sound when driving in the rain

Dylan_K

hi guys..not too sure if this is a common problem, but would like to seek some advise/help.

I recently noticed a metallic rattling/grinding sound when i was driving in the rain (it was raining almost every minute for the past weekend over the new year), which was never there when I was driving (slow/fast, easy/hard). This was on the expressway where there was quite a bit of water puddles/ponding. it was loud and i can feel the vibration from my seat, and it felt like it came from the undercarriage. so obviously I stopped the car, got out and looked underneath but there was nothing dangling or loose. When i drove off, the sound was still loud initially, but after some gentle low/rpm cruising the sound disappeared. This sound was not there when i drove previously, and is not there now when i'm driving. no engine light came up, and Xentry check turned up nothing too. 

i saw a few bros in the group who shared that their undercarriage suffered some minor damage from driving thru puddles, but i don't think mine's the same case since i don't see any thing loose from underneath. no obvious fluid/oil leakage in the carpark also. i googled and some other folks shared something about water causing the exhaust to contract etc, which sounded abit strange to me, hence asking here to see if any one else had a similar experience and had more success in troubleshooting. 

TIA!

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic