• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

New to the conti car world.Need help thanks.

Guest FL500

Guest FL500

:iconsalut:

Hey all,

I am new to the conti car world.Just purchased a C200K and will be collecting it next week.

Was wondering anyone knows which direction I should be looking at regarding sprucing my ride up abit.

i.e HID lights--(light bulbs, error msg--> totally new to such electronics), exhaust(systems), rims(can 20 in be slotted into the front?--Problems?) air filters, ECU chippings(plug & play or piggy bags)

Am familiar with the japanese car types but getting things like an error msg for just changing bulbs(as told to me by a friend) is bizzare to me.

Hope this ain't (a) silly question(s).

Thank you very much.

Cheers

Guest kinky74

welcome dude.......another happy C200 anyway for the mod you can check it out Ah wong mod corner.....he already list out the posion and the degree of damage.....and also there is no cure for it yet :yumyum: :yumyum: :yumyum: :yumyum:

Guest ACSLK

Hi FL500,

welcome in......20ins should be no problem......

you may wanna log-in to Kleemann website to check it out (MBM, Patrick 8383 3775) is the agent that bring this in....

happy modding.......

cheers

Guest Cklasse

Hi, welcome to the star. You have to realize what you had bought is an intelligent car that will even tell you which bulb is not working. Enjoy your ride.

Guest bbwannabe

Hi, welcome to the star. You have to realize what you had bought is an intelligent that will even tell you which bulb is not working. Enjoy your ride.

and even smart enough to replace the blown bulb with a neighbouring lamp.

which reminds me, saw a previous gen s280 at chomp chomp recently. the right rear hazard light was blown and it was using the rear right reversing lamp as replacement. lol!

Guest angela

which reminds me, saw a previous gen s280 at chomp chomp recently. the right rear hazard light was blown and it was using the rear right reversing lamp as replacement. lol!

eh WTF!?!?!? 73895ac3.gif73895ac3.gif73895ac3.gif

is this true? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Guest TuMMyBeaR

Yes, that is correct. MB cars are intelligent enough to temporary change the bulbs usage when the other is not working.

For eg, if your rear brake light bulb is not working, when you brake, the rear lights that turns on when you switch on your headlights will become the default brake light.

This system is there to ensure that despite having a bulb not working, there will be some light coming from the rear. This is a safety feature. :thumbsup:

Guest bbwannabe

well, if you're adventurous, you could take out one of the rear lights to see how it reacts.

but it will probably be easier read about them in the manual. (it is under troubleshooting display messages on dashboard)

Guest angela

Yes, that is correct. MB cars are intelligent enough to temporary change the bulbs usage when the other is not working.

For eg, if your rear brake light bulb is not working, when you brake, the rear lights that turns on when you switch on your headlights will become the default brake light.

This system is there to ensure that despite having a bulb not working, there will be some light coming from the rear. This is a safety feature. :thumbsup:

is this feature available for 2005 W203? dun recall reading about it on my manual...

well, if you're adventurous, you could take out one of the rear lights to see how it reacts.

but it will probably be easier read about them in the manual. (it is under troubleshooting display messages on dashboard)

hand very itchy................ feel like playing ard with the blubs... i wonder how many combos i can get..... ;)

Guest TuMMyBeaR

is this feature available for 2005 W203? dun recall reading about it on my manual...

It should be. I had a customer who had a 2004 E240 who had this as well. So I believe should have. Sometimes the manual will not mention everything. There are tons of things about the car that sometimes surprises us the SEs as well.... ^-^

Guest blackmercs

It should be. I had a customer who had a 2004 E240 who had this as well. So I believe should have. Sometimes the manual will not mention everything. There are tons of things about the car that sometimes surprises us the SEs as well.... ^-^

Oh yes got to agreed with you, just like the not "clean" audio system!!! lolz

Guest FL500

:afro: :afro:WOW!

Thank you all for the swift replies!!!Surely I didn't know about the bulb thingie.. haha now I got a bloody urge to plug out one of the bulbs to try....

I was told that if i were to put my hand thru the open window...and wind up the window...upon contact with my arm..the window will sense an object there and wind back down...kinda like a safety feature too. hehee.. took a deep breath and tried it put just now... it works!

hahah.Tot that was cool.

Anyway collected my ride just now.Took it to the petrol station for some juice and took a slow drive home. The ride was sure 20000 times more comfortable then my previous and it was rather interesting playing around with the buttons on the steering wheel and the other mouse wheel on the centre console.Ok..it did take my eyes off the road a fair bit..but what the hell.. ::)

Am heading down tomorrow to change the main lights to a HID one. Was wondering something that maybe someone can help me out with here. If I were to change just the bulb for the high beam and fog lights..say just change the bulb, same type but just different colour( e.g stock to say something whiter..6000K?) will there be a warning light? Sorry if this sounds silly. Am stil new to this warning thingie and kinda still uncomfortable with it.MAybe not used to being told by a car whats wrong..hahah though we humans should be telling the comp, not the comp tell us.. haha anyway how how..can just change bulb?

Lastly, Thank you all for the mods intro and links..will be checking it out.. saw the jap mag on some ventuno mid pipe...kinda interested...

Guest ehwwong

no warning light if you do it properly...

i am using a Philip HID conversion kit 6000K..very bright, installed it at BL aka auto spritzer which they told me that they needed to reset the system using STAR (diagnostic tool for merc) to prevent any error msgs.

They are also several cheaper alternatives available (see blackmerc post), its really up to individual preferences and how much you are willing to spend.

cheers

Guest FL500

Oh yes got to agreed with you, just like the not "clean" audio system!!! lolz

tell me tell me

got what hum sump things in our radio... if something to do with listening to scary noises dun tell me..7th month coming.... ::)

Guest FL500

no warning light if you do it properly...

i am using a Philip HID conversion kit 6000K..very bright, installed it at BL aka auto spritzer which they told me that they needed to reset the system using STAR (diagnostic tool for merc) to prevent any error msgs.

They are also several cheaper alternatives available (see blackmerc post), its really up to individual preferences and how much you are willing to spend.

cheers

oh okok thank you... fingers crossed then.. cos i went down autobacs..saw some interesting bulbs and was thinking of just buying to just replace..but didnt dare cos didnt know if the warning will come on.

Ok so basically even changing a bulb will require a reset to be done.. in that case better not do it unless the shop has the machine to do the reset. darn i need to buy one of these reset machines man.. is it expensive? so can change bulb and other small things without having to go to shop to reset all the time.

Guest ehwwong

the Daimler STAR diagnostic machine will cost at least >US$10000 and it requires special expertise to use it... not everything requires a reset.. like interior light, car license plates etc etc..

do it in one go.. save time, save trouble, maximum effect.. :)