• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Gear shift characteristic D-R-D

Guest drift838

Guest drift838

Not that it's a serious prob, but notice that for the w204 5sp auto, there seems to be a slight lag when shifting from D-R and vice versa.

Just wanna confirm with bro/sis here and if you guys notice this as well.

It's no wehre as bad at Audi A4's cvt, but when compared to my 2005 w211 E200, I feel that the E200 changes from D-R and vice versa faster.

You would understand wat I mean when you are parking... say step brake, come to a stop, switch to reverse, 1 sec lag then R engages to reverse....

There is no jerking nor knocking from the shift... just a lag.. and perhaps if I didn't compare with my w211, I wouldn't feel it.

I did see some post that people here found the reversing power lacking in the w204?

Any advice? Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest echodeltax

Mine dun have jerk, but just a 1 sec lag before switch over.

You guys have the lag as well?

Is your "1 sec lag" from D to R or R to D??

For me, D to R is quite fast actually no lag.

Guest kepiting1sg

confirm got jerk, if you are on S mode...

confirm got lag from D to R...

confirm got jerk it out, if you are on Song mode..

confirm got lag from Dozing off to Relax....... ...muahahahaha :offtopic:

Guest drift838

The lag is mainly from D-R.

I guess to some a 1 sec lag is normal.

But I feel that the 5sp auto gearbox is quite weak. Sometimes, we floor the car and need the power... the gear box takes a while to react... and it's quite a while.. any the engine just makes lots of noise in the process, but no go :(

Guest Cklasse

When I went for the C-class challenge, I felt that the W204 (as well as W203) has the "retarded" feel when pedal is floored. Once pedal is floored, the car seems to hesitate before move off. I have come to realise you need to give some rolling going on before flooring the car if you want a fast pickup.

Guest Cerano

The lag is mainly from D-R.

I guess to some a 1 sec lag is normal.

But I feel that the 5sp auto gearbox is quite weak. Sometimes, we floor the car and need the power... the gear box takes a while to react... and it's quite a while.. any the engine just makes lots of noise in the process, but no go :(

What if you install SB?

Guest ehwwong

yes, i agreed.. sometimes flooring the pedal does not help with pickup at all when you are trying to overtake a slow car.. what i usually do is to hold the paddle shifter and it will down shift to the gear and optimum powerband that allows you to be in the zone quicker.