• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

GPS for SLK

Guest mindless

Guest mindless

Hi there,

I am contemplating on installing a GPS system but am really clueless on what's hot in the market. Can anyone tell me:

1) Which brand is most user friendly (am a real tech idiot and anything more complicated than a simple calculator is rocket science to me ???)

2) Price range

3) Duration for installation of this gadget

and last but not least... do they all look the same or are there some better looking ones that wouldn't take up too much space and blend in well with the interior of the car..?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Guest ehwwong

hi mindless,

do you intend to use your screen for the GPS or buy off the rack GPS available in most electronic stores?

if off the rack one, don't need installation lah.. just plug and play one... i would strongly recommend Garmin Series 255 (S$399) for its accuracy and also the Mal-Sing map.. very solid!

for multimedia interface add-on if its available for your car, it ranges from S$2500-$3000 and installation may take 1/2 a day.

Guest mindless

Thanks ehwwong. I am thinking of using my screen for it and according to your reply this will costs about S$2.5k - S$3k rite? Which are the brands to consider?

Cheers!

Guest ehwwong

Thanks ehwwong. I am thinking of using my screen for it and according to your reply this will costs about S$2.5k - S$3k rite? Which are the brands to consider?

Cheers!

not sure about the brand.. but i know juzz for cars and auto spritzer do it... but you can choose the GPS module, which i saw a car install with garmin software. bery bery good.

search for command APS thread in the forum to find out more...

Guest bbwannabe

hmmm....

if you don't go for the add on, Garmin is a good brand. very user friendly, advanced, very fast, and world renowned!

best of all, is the local support for the Garmin units. there are local mappers that map out Singapore in detail. a lot of custom point of interests were mapped by them. food, shopping centers, commercial buildings, almost everything! these mappers then create a map that is largely compatible to the Garmin units. these created maps are course much better than the official maps that Garmin sells to the end user.

the 'bestest' news is that Garmin did a tie up with them to provide official maps with back end made by them. (BTW they are http://www.malsingmaps.com/)

good luck with your search!

OT: I am a sucker for the original map. since Garmin couldn't release map updates as fast as them, my GPS didn't know of KPE for at least 1 year. haha....

Not all can add on as you need to have command interface to begin with. Not sure if the command is standard for your SLK350.

Even if can for the price of $2k I think not very worth. Garmin's GPS are very nice and can definitely blend in well with your interior.

:)

Guest ehwwong

exactly.. the garmin unit is quite small and it will not obstruct your view too much if place near the driver windscreen.. but then, i don't own a SLK.. so dunno how it will look..

if you have interests to add on more stuffs like, reverse camera, DVD etc then the multimedia interface is worth it!

Guest kepiting1sg

exactly.. the garmin unit is quite small and it will not obstruct your view too much if place near the driver windscreen.. but then, i don't own a SLK.. so dunno how it will look..

if you have interests to add on more stuffs like, reverse camera, DVD etc then the multimedia interface is worth it!

How I wish my Garmin screen can be bigger cos Unker old man eyes cannot see small details....hehehe!

The Garmin model I recommended is the GVN 53 for connection to stock HU screen but knowing Merc stock HU is a F$#kin pain in the ar$#.

That's why I commented that if this model can be connected to the Merc stock Command will be best but I doubt it can.

Lazy to do more homework on Command APS cos this Garmin set will never work on my lousy Audio 20 unit.

IMHO

Buying a portable Garmin is the way to go!

If U dun travel with it overseas, then a local Garmin Nuvi set will be great with free map updates from MalsingMaps after their recent tie up with Garmin.

http://www.malsingmaps.com

If U travel to Europe and or States, then look for a Nuvi with both maps.

Your GPSr is as good as the updates of your maps.

Roads in Europe might not changed much over time but not other countries

Local Singapore & Johore Maps for Garmin Nuvi sets with unlimited updates can

be obtained from Jerome Wee website with a 1 time donation of US$20

http://gpsmaps.jwpixs.com/

A breakaway of quite a few Mappers from MalsingMap is MalFreeMaps currently are producing very good SG, West & East Malaysia FOC with map updates for Garmin GPSr almost once every other week,

http://www.malfreemaps.com

For those who travel to Indonesia, Navigasi.net provides free maps for Garmin GPSr which covers the whole of Indonesia with very detail maps for major cities.

http://www.navigasi.net/goptd.php

My 5 years old Garmin Nuvi 670 has been serving me very well with bluetooth car kit.

Those with Command APS with Navigation has to pay for map updates DVD which don't cover Singapore & Malaysia often enough

Guest yoshikix

I am using Malfreemap atm , I tried malsing before , try to go Mount faber , end up cannot. Malfreemap don't need to be unlock , much better than Malsing , somemore malfree update every week :clap:

Guest SgLaKsa

How I wish my Garmin screen can be bigger cos Unker old man eyes cannot see small details....hehehe!

The Garmin model I recommended is the GVN 53 for connection to stock HU screen but knowing Merc stock HU is a F$#kin pain in the ar$#.

That's why I commented that if this model can be connected to the Merc stock Command will be best but I doubt it can.

Lazy to do more homework on Command APS cos this Garmin set will never work on my lousy Audio 20 unit.

IMHO

Buying a portable Garmin is the way to go!

If U dun travel with it overseas, then a local Garmin Nuvi set will be great with free map updates from MalsingMaps after their recent tie up with Garmin.

http://www.malsingmaps.com

If U travel to Europe and or States, then look for a Nuvi with both maps.

Your GPSr is as good as the updates of your maps.

Roads in Europe might not changed much over time but not other countries

Local Singapore & Johore Maps for Garmin Nuvi sets with unlimited updates can

be obtained from Jerome Wee website with a 1 time donation of US$20

http://gpsmaps.jwpixs.com/

A breakaway of quite a few Mappers from MalsingMap is MalFreeMaps currently are producing very good SG, West & East Malaysia FOC with map updates for Garmin GPSr almost once every other week,

http://www.malfreemaps.com

For those who travel to Indonesia, Navigasi.net provides free maps for Garmin GPSr which covers the whole of Indonesia with very detail maps for major cities.

http://www.navigasi.net/goptd.php

My 5 years old Garmin Nuvi 670 has been serving me very well with bluetooth car kit.

Those with Command APS with Navigation has to pay for map updates DVD which don't cover Singapore & Malaysia often enough

Although i'm not planning to get a GPS and didn't really read your post, i still find that you are damn helpful to post all the above info for the others :iconsalut: :iconsalut: :iconsalut: I Karma-ed you on behalf of the others :thumbsup:

Guest mindless

Though I am not sure what SgLaksa meant by having Karma-ed Kepiting1sg..., thanks everyone for all the valuable information and I think Garmin will prolly be cool enough to stop me from getting lost.... again... (I hope) :).

Cheers!

Guest kepiting1sg

Though I am not sure what SgLaksa meant by having Karma-ed Kepiting1sg..., thanks everyone for all the valuable information and I think Garmin will prolly be cool enough to stop me from getting lost.... again... (I hope) :).

Cheers!

To give a karma is to applaud for someone which has contributed or to smite if for eg. a guy is "wu liao" in his posting.

So the more U have contributed and hopefully kind souls know how to appreciate it and give U karma.

Thanks SgLaKsa for your karma!! :clap:

Guest ladyseals80

well, make sure you know how to get to our GTG venue this coming sunday.. :pray:

she no need GPS to know how to come to our GTG one lah...

so many will volunteer to bring her go one... ;)

Guest SgLaKsa

Cheers!

To give a karma is to applaud for someone which has contributed or to smite if for eg. a guy is "wu liao" in his posting.

So the more U have contributed and hopefully kind souls know how to appreciate it and give U karma.

Thanks SgLaKsa for your karma!! :clap:

Bro you deserve it man, most ppl, including myself, won't put in so much effort to key in all the info and links for others =) Cheers man :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
Guest stealth123

hi,

Saw an old thread a while back - which says that Garmin GPS can store the location of fixed speedcams along the NSHW. Is this true? Can anyone advise how accurate are these locations?

Also - because of this, I was looking at the range of Garmin GPS... *gosh*.. there are so many. Are there any experts here who can tell the differences between the different versions?

And, if i intend to travel with my GPS, Kepiting1sg's post mentioned that I should get the Novi with 2 maps. So does this mean that I can get any model and then load the maps in later? ... or are there specific models which I have to look out for?