• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Rims from poh heng

Guest daxchin

Guest TuMMyBeaR

Used to patronise his shop..... But realised that they are always so busy.... hard to get them to show rims, tyres, discuss prices etc....

Plus, didn't like the way they balance my rims.... so I stop going....

But this is just my opinion... maybe their service has improved? :)

Guest kopimonster

if you are talking about used AMG rims (that were traded in by their previous owners), i suggest you inspect them thoroughly and ensure they are of acceptable condition (to you of course) before purchasing them. other than that, i dont forsee any other problems getting them (assuming you get the necessary fittings e.g. PCD, offsets sorted out).

on their service level, i tend to agree with TuMMyBeaR, they are always busy and dont have much time for you. But i kinda felt that PH is better off selling replicas and those taiwan brands, as i find their prices quite reasonable. however, their prices for branded Jap rims e.g. Rays are quite out of this world, as i have found out myself.

Guest Raskie

quite a few shops selling replicas ... hunt around seen them at Lee Beng @ AMK Ave3, South East @ Kaki Bukit and a tire shop in Bedok Market (where a famous noodle shop is), sorry dun know the name .., also big tire/rim shop along Upper Thomson/Sembawang Road ..

Guest ehwwong

:offtopic:

its replica rims really worth the money?? don't get me wrong, but maybe its just me... why fit a replica rim which we cannot be sure that the rims will be 100% QC..

Guest blackmercs

:offtopic:

its replica rims really worth the money?? don't get me wrong, but maybe its just me... why fit a replica rim which we cannot be sure that the rims will be 100% QC..

huh? Y not? Dont get me wrong too bru. How can one ensure that original one will get 100% QC too? I m cheapo, that's why i m on replica!!! lolz

Guest TuMMyBeaR

Apparently, for replica rims, there are a few places of origin.

Honestly, I'm not so enthusiastic about rims from Taiwan. Somehow there's this fear that the rims may fall apart one day.... ;D But that of cos doesn't mean that original rims will not do the same.....

I know there's a tyre shop at Tan Boon Liat Building (next to Glass Hotel) called Soon Tyres. They carry OEM rims, which are made in Italy rather than Germany (MB Rims). Prices are about half of original, plus they will trade in your old rims & tyres.....

There's another shop in Bukit Batok Ind Estate but I can't remember the name of the shop. Very good service, patient and wide choice of rims and tyres at very very decent prices.

Cheers

Guest blackmercs

Apparently, for replica rims, there are a few places of origin.

Honestly, I'm not so enthusiastic about rims from Taiwan. Somehow there's this fear that the rims may fall apart one day.... ;D But that of cos doesn't mean that original rims will not do the same.....

I know there's a tyre shop at Tan Boon Liat Building (next to Glass Hotel) called Soon Tyres. They carry OEM rims, which are made in Italy rather than Germany (MB Rims). Prices are about half of original, plus they will trade in your old rims & tyres.....

There's another shop in Bukit Batok Ind Estate but I can't remember the name of the shop. Very good service, patient and wide choice of rims and tyres at very very decent prices.

Cheers

True, there is alot of fear for replica rims. I would like to ask, anyone heard of replica fallen apart from their frens? instead of hearsay? Till date, i heard nothing of it in sillypore. Anyone got any story to share?

Guest ehwwong

apparently not in sillypore but in USA... some guy brought a replica rim and it literally broke into half when doing some extreme speed. read it in mbworld though..

aiya, ah black i not saying you cheapo.. i am sure you can well afford a original rim.. but i guess sometimes we pay the "extra" for piece of mind.

Guest blackmercs

apparently not in sillypore but in USA... some guy brought a replica rim and it literally broke into half when doing some extreme speed. read it in mbworld though..

aiya, ah black i not saying you cheapo.. i am sure you can well afford a original rim.. but i guess sometimes we pay the "extra" for piece of mind.

wong ah wong, no worries abt me bru. I wanna clear some air on the replica thingy lah. Yalor, been driving replica rim for life liao. Alot of hearsay bad abt replica rims. So wanna kapo abit here and there. I know THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE.........................

So no one have real life story to share? mai hearsay hor!!! Unker u there, any comments on this??? Share share story if any!!!

Guest Raskie

when doing some extreme speed. read it in mbworld though..

originals will cost alot because of the the research, quality and branding ... as compared to replicas. also your post above says "extreme speed" ... that says it all does it not ?

i guess for daily driving, most replica would be fine and perform just as well .. but if you track frequently, I would suggest investing in good quality rims in addition to the good brake system and all ...

well, at the end, if are uncomfortable with replicas, then avoid them and go for the real thing. As for me, i am ok with replicas but would not go for trade-in replicas though ...

:tazzie:

Guest kepiting1sg

wong ah wong, no worries abt me bru. I wanna clear some air on the replica thingy lah. Yalor, been driving replica rim for life liao. Alot of hearsay bad abt replica rims. So wanna kapo abit here and there. I know THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE.........................

So no one ha

I ve real life story to share? mai hearsay hor!!! Unker u there, any comments on this??? Share share story if any!!!

U called me arh??? :yawn:

1. Objectives of rims are for looks & improve road holding (upsizing) - all almost agreed to 100% of this statement

2. Budget may be a deciding factor for chosing replicas

3. The other camp will not agree with statement 2 and say originals are safer & better

a. Lighter - a fact most of the time (reduce FC due to lighter load)

b. Tougher & stronger to take knocks - a fact most of the time

c. Take stress better like Bro Raskie said during tracking when especially diving into those corners & bends

d. X-Factor - originals wor!!!!! ....no fake rolex leh!....hehehehe!

4. Replicas camp will not want to admit to statement 3 and say in reality

no body has damaged his rims especially on good sillypore roads

- a fact that original camps might wanna to dispute - how well the replicas standup to in a serious accident?

Is there any diff. when a replica or an original rim hit a kerb at high speed? :devil2:

Replica increase FC due to being heavier - U got more barang2 in your boot to increase FC than the replicas & your mother -in law sitting in your car...hehehe...all things must be equal lah!

IMHCCO No Right or Wrong answers - your money your choice - No Aware please - I m secular....wahahah!!

Experience

When polismen wore kaki shorts for uniform.

1 Alfa kaki told me during a "rally" to Malaysia, his min-lites alloy magnesium rims

ran across railway tracks without problem whereas those with steel wheels get bengkok....hehhehe

Unker got 1 experience with cheapo Taiwan rims long time back. Maybe nowadays they are equally good as the real thing but I guess not any lighter.

Good light alloy wheels material dun cum cheap that's for sure.

Cutting across Skudai (Masi Lemak hideout) to Kota Tinggi, 1 of my front wheel went into a big lobang in the road.

The rim was bent, cracked & tyire damaged after leaving the big pothole but Unker managed to steer the car to safety.

BTW I lup my stock Advantgarde alloys....hehehehe.....Brabus Mono S looks chi chio armani....BUT ...wait for Toto for the justifications to wallet or shall I?.....hehehehe!!!

Maybe organize a trip to Batam Island to test the potholes there with your rims - some big enough to swallow a Perodua....heheheheh!!! :bootyshake:

Have a pleasant super duper great Sunday to all of U out there!!!!!

Guest paddy

U called me arh??? :yawn:

1. Objectives of rims are for looks & improve road holding (upsizing) - all almost agreed to 100% of this statement

2. Budget may be a deciding factor for chosing replicas

3. The other camp will not agree with statement 2 and say originals are safer & better

a. Lighter - a fact most of the time (reduce FC due to lighter load)

b. Tougher & stronger to take knocks - a fact most of the time

c. Take stress better like Bro Raskie said during tracking when especially diving into those corners & bends

d. X-Factor - originals wor!!!!! ....no fake rolex leh!....hehehehe!

4. Replicas camp will not want to admit to statement 3 and say in reality

no body has damaged his rims especially on good sillypore roads

- a fact that original camps might wanna to dispute - how well the replicas standup to in a serious accident?

Is there any diff. when a replica or an original rim hit a kerb at high speed? :devil2:

Replica increase FC due to being heavier - U got more barang2 in your boot to increase FC than the replicas & your mother -in law sitting in your car...hehehe...all things must be equal lah!

IMHCCO No Right or Wrong answers - your money your choice - No Aware please - I m secular....wahahah!!

Experience

When polismen wore kaki shorts for uniform.

1 Alfa kaki told me during a "rally" to Malaysia, his min-lites alloy magnesium rims

ran across railway tracks without problem whereas those with steel wheels get bengkok....hehhehe

Unker got 1 experience with cheapo Taiwan rims long time back. Maybe nowadays they are equally good as the real thing but I guess not any lighter.

Good light alloy wheels material dun cum cheap that's for sure.

Cutting across Skudai (Masi Lemak hideout) to Kota Tinggi, 1 of my front wheel went into a big lobang in the road.

The rim was bent, cracked & tyire damaged after leaving the big pothole but Unker managed to steer the car to safety.

BTW I lup my stock Advantgarde alloys....hehehehe.....Brabus Mono S looks chi chio armani....BUT ...wait for Toto for the justifications to wallet or shall I?.....hehehehe!!!

Maybe organize a trip to Batam Island to test the potholes there with your rims - some big enough to swallow a Perodua....heheheheh!!! :bootyshake:

Have a pleasant super duper great Sunday to all of U out there!!!!!

wah unker, you continue to write like this, can compile all your inputs and submit as thesis for a masters or phd... :la:

so far, yet to try replica rims. not that i loaded and use only originals but had a rpo2 on a subaru that lasted me for 7 good yrs and still going strong (had them since day one of car on road). had its fair share of potholes, knocks and kerb kissings but still in one piece.

initially felt the pinch but divide out the cost over the yrs, worth it :thumbsup:

Guest heavenknows

Interesting thread... ;D

Slightly off-topic but somewhat related. I was asking a few tyre shops about the W204 rims trade in value. Not unexpected, they give all kinds of reasons and excuses saying that the W204 rims are unique only to this model. Other models, not even the W203, can use. They were only willing to take in at $200 for the whole set!!! :-[

Well, just wondering if this is true. I know the PCD for all Merc cars are the same. So it must be the offset that is very different. The W204 offset for my 17" is 47.

Guest blackmercs

Interesting thread... ;D

Slightly off-topic but somewhat related. I was asking a few tyre shops about the W204 rims trade in value. Not unexpected, they give all kinds of reasons and excuses saying that the W204 rims are unique only to this model. Other models, not even the W203, can use. They were only willing to take in at $200 for the whole set!!! :-[

Well, just wondering if this is true. I know the PCD for all Merc cars are the same. So it must be the offset that is very different. The W204 offset for my 17" is 47.

yes u r right offset is the key factor for selection, PCD shld be the same, correct me if i m wrong. $200 is abit low for trade in, how old is yr rims?

Guest heavenknows

yes u r right offset is the key factor for selection, PCD shld be the same, correct me if i m wrong. $200 is abit low for trade in, how old is yr rims?

blackmercs, mine are the stock Avantgade 17". Got my car in Jan09.

I also say, $200 is really low, leh!! That's why I've not managed to change rims so far.

Guest blackmercs

blackmercs, mine are the stock Avantgade 17". Got my car in Jan09.

I also say, $200 is really low, leh!! That's why I've not managed to change rims so far.

Ok i think can fetch higher price then. So u intend to change to original or crispy (replica) rims?

Guest heavenknows

Ok i think can fetch higher price then. So u intend to change to original or crispy (replica) rims?

Can fetch higher? I sure hope so. Any good lobang to recommend?

I'm still shopping around. No hurry lah. Saving up to get OZs or BBS... but I'm not ruling out replicas. Then, must get CFO approval first. ;D

The tyre shops told me that the different models of the Mercs have different offsets. They once took in a S-class stock rims but could not resell them cos they couldn't fit a lot of other cars. And they couldn't sell to other S-class owners cos they were already on the same stock rims!! Haha. ???

Guest blackmercs

Can fetch higher? I sure hope so. Any good lobang to recommend?

I'm still shopping around. No hurry lah. Saving up to get OZs or BBS... but I'm not ruling out replicas. Then, must get CFO approval first. ;D

The tyre shops told me that the different models of the Mercs have different offsets. They once took in a S-class stock rims but could not resell them cos they couldn't fit a lot of other cars. And they couldn't sell to other S-class owners cos they were already on the same stock rims!! Haha. ???

bru those reason given are crap lah. If this cannot sell that cannot take, why they are taking in yr rims for the pathetic pricing? Not like yrs is the only mercs model in sillypore rite?? U need to make up yr mind what types of rim before going down for nego. Is yr call!!! Happy hunting!!!!