• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W203, rough gear change to 2nd/1st gear?

Guest bbwannabe

Guest bbwannabe

hello,

i just took over a w203 sports ed. drove over 1000km in 2 weeks. haha... sure am enjoying some of the technological marvel build in it.

one question:

is the gear change to 2nd/1st gear supposed to be so rough?

scenario:

in comfort mode, the car will start in 2nd gear right? let say i'm going over a hump so i will slow down to about 20km/hr. then, i will feel a very obvious jerk as the car change down to 2nd gear. ditto when changing up. less obvious when in sports/standard mode.

any advise from the pros here?

is the w203 like this or do i need to have the gearbox looked at? just finish 30k km servicing with cycle, no problems were spotted...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Guest blackmercs

hello,

i just took over a w203 sports ed. drove over 1000km in 2 weeks. haha... sure am enjoying some of the technological marvel build in it.

one question:

is the gear change to 2nd/1st gear supposed to be so rough?

scenario:

in comfort mode, the car will start in 2nd gear right? let say i'm going over a hump so i will slow down to about 20km/hr. then, i will feel a very obvious jerk as the car change down to 2nd gear. ditto when changing up. less obvious when in sports/standard mode.

any advise from the pros here?

is the w203 like this or do i need to have the gearbox looked at? just finish 30k km servicing with cycle, no problems were spotted...

hmm nopey, no jerky feeling at all be it Sport or Comfort mode for me.

Guest Cklasse

For W203, I have noticed if the car has slowed to 1st gear and if you step hard, forcing the car to suddenly changed up to 2nd gear, there will be a jerk. I have learned not to slow down too muchduring turning or let the car pick up speed gradually after I slowed down. You will eventually know what is a good speed not to step hard to cause the jerk.

Not sure if your jerk is the same situation.

Guest Gene

I understand that 'jerk' you are talking about.... but mine is a different thing... it only happend in the morning when I go to work... engine cold i guess..... whether its S or C mode, the jerk is very hard like I am making the poor thing climb verrically and only when i give it more fuel then it manage to goes up one more gear... best is to let it warm up first then this problem will not exists.... I drive a SLK 200

However, I also drives a bmw 523i and this car gives me the same problem as your description....

have been driving for approx. 20K then one fine day I drove to PML and told those guys to check..... left the car for 2 days and they fins no fault in the gearbox... so they reset the Adaptation and tell me to try again..... Oh boy, ever since then, totally no problem liao....

Why not goes to MBM and ask them to help.... Our Mercedes have this adaptation that can be reset... no harm trying.... dont know how much he will charge

Guest bbwannabe

thanks for all the reply peps.

hmmm... yah, it seems to be like what you all said. kinda weird isn't it? expected most of the car i guess. hahaha... at least got closure now.

i'll check and let you all know again.

thanks again!