• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

TIBO GPS Navigation System X371

Guest kepiting1sg

Guest kepiting1sg

Someone is selling this GPS System in the ICE forum!

Is this TIBO GPS Navigation System X371 any good?

Is the maps easily updated?

Appreciated comments please!

I may want to buy a GPS system for my car but

I am blur like a sotong to know which one is good.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cklasse

It all depends on what do you want out of a GPS device?

Buying a GPS with proprietary software such as Agis Navigator (found in PDA and Nokia N95) and MapKing and others means you will be using that map for a long time without any update. You have to pay for a new version update.

Fortunately, there are a group of users in Singapore and Malaysia (Malsing) who update and add additional features in Garmin map and post for free usage in the net. It is expensive to buy GPS maps and trying to have a few countries will easily cost me a new set of tyres.

Back to the use, if you are going to use the GPS as a street directory, and wants to carry around, then probably a phone GPS would be enough. However, if you are going to have many driving holidays in Malaysia and other countries, a Garmin GPS standalone unit is one of the best to get.

My opinion. After using a PDA Agis NAvigator GPS for a year, I ditch it for a Garmin. The Garmin has maps from Malsing with features such as red light camera warning, ERP gantry warning, speed limit warning incorporated. I had a full world map downloaded from Malsing too, with most countries major roads (which is what you need) and detailed roads in some cities. Having a permanent GPS unit in the car is the most hassle free setup (taking it out to keep in the armrest is a snap too) and you will use it everytime (trust me, with a phone or PDA GPS, I can bet you won't use it that often).

Having the Garmin has allowed me to travel freely, without worry of getting lost. The Garmin has proven to be useful in my last Margaret River trip when I had to drive in total darkness in Aussies road.

Guest kepiting1sg

shipped in from the states!! ;D cost above $1K right cklasse??? ???

Kel,

I am old but I have not forgotten his posting!

I remembered he paid for his Nuvi 370 @ S$900+

which included shipping but without GST.

$$$ ??? should not be a problem if it's really useful.

All I want is a confirmation from him and the actual source and I know it's portable.

If I am not wrong, Garmin is one of our company customers.

Let me see if I can get it from source. ;D ;D ;D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kepiting1sg

It all depends on what do you want out of a GPS device?

Buying a GPS with proprietary software such as Agis Navigator (found in PDA and Nokia N95) and MapKing and others means you will be using that map for a long time without any update. You have to pay for a new version update.

Fortunately, there are a group of users in Singapore and Malaysia (Malsing) who update and add additional features in Garmin map and post for free usage in the net. It is expensive to buy GPS maps and trying to have a few countries will easily cost me a new set of tyres.

Back to the use, if you are going to use the GPS as a street directory, and wants to carry around, then probably a phone GPS would be enough. However, if you are going to have many driving holidays in Malaysia and other countries, a Garmin GPS standalone unit is one of the best to get.

My opinion. After using a PDA Agis NAvigator GPS for a year, I ditch it for a Garmin. The Garmin has maps from Malsing with features such as red light camera warning, ERP gantry warning, speed limit warning incorporated. I had a full world map downloaded from Malsing too, with most countries major roads (which is what you need) and detailed roads in some cities. Having a permanent GPS unit in the car is the most hassle free setup (taking it out to keep in the armrest is a snap too) and you will use it everytime (trust me, with a phone or PDA GPS, I can bet you won't use it that often).

Having the Garmin has allowed me to travel freely, without worry of getting lost. The Garmin has proven to be useful in my last Margaret River trip when I had to drive in total darkness in Aussies road.

Hello Cklasse,

My many thanks to U for all your comments, time and assistance given to me

especially copying the Malsingmaps to my SD card and showing me the pointers how to use your Nuvi 370. bow.gifbowx.gifbow.gif

Me being blur like sotong about SG roads, it was really a pain in the arXX without a GPS to find my way to your place. (Even the road directory in my car was out of date) ;D

My wife called me this morning in Pleasure Island to tell me that my new toy wallet.gif Nuvi 360(US Maps only) has arrived this morning. agal.gif

I will be going back to SG tomorrow nite, can't wait to lay my hands on it.

It will be fun using it to find my way to Malacca town this Saturday.

Kum Xia! Kum Xia! Thank U! Thank U!

cclass.jpg[

Guest four_eggs

four_eggs here. tibo reception is bad. imaging i am staying at thomson and till i reach vivo city, still no reception. sold off my tibo set after 6 mths usage and now using HP Rx5770. excellent set and getting signal within 2 mins.

[/qu

Guest kepiting1sg

four_eggs here. tibo reception is bad. imaging i am staying at thomson and till i reach vivo city, still no reception. sold off my tibo set after 6 mths usage and now using HP Rx5770. excellent set and getting signal within 2 mins.

Thank you Allen for your feedback!

I've took up CKlasse advice to buy the Garmin Nuvi 360.

I used it yesterday to travel from Pasir Ris to HFC, it was breeze and IMO very accurate. The re-routing was also very fast.

Cheers!

Guest four_eggs

four_eggs here. tibo reception is bad. ifrom thomson till i reach vivo city, still no reception. sold off my tibo set after 6 mths usage and now using HP Rx5770. excellent set and getting signal within 2 mins.

[/qu

• 2 months later...

I decided on a Garmin Nuvi 200 for S$390 without the original map but someone suggested a PDA so I looked at the HP 5775. Then I was told that there is a new HP PDA coming soon. Argh ... decisions decisions.

Guest kepiting1sg

I decided on a Garmin Nuvi 200 for S$390 without the original map but someone suggested a PDA so I looked at the HP 5775. Then I was told that there is a new HP PDA coming soon. Argh ... decisions decisions.

IMHO,

Nothing beat a device that is solely for the purpose in this case a GPS.

Go for the Nuvi 260!

For the Nuvi 200, it doesn't speak "street names" eg. "in 500 metre, turn left to Telok Blangah Way"

Click here for a comparison in features.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=134&compare=compare&compareProduct=9160&compareProduct=11017&compareProduct=6290

I actually bought a Nuvi 360 and I was very impressed with it.

After 2 weeks I sold the Nuvi 360 and upgraded to a Nuvi 670.

Also take note that it's very easy to download SG/MY Maps for Garmin GPSr from

Malsingmap

http://www.malsingmaps.com/portal/

Guest Cklasse

Go for the stand alone Garmin GPS and you won't regret.

I am using the Nuvi 370 for the bluetooth function as well as the GPS. Talking on the phone has never been any easier with this Garmin now, just press a button and talk when a call comes in.

I have tried using it when I travel and setting up in the rental car is a matter of plugging in the charger, turn on the Nuvi and drive.

Hi, I'm using the Holux GPS60 running on WM3 with both Garmin and mapking software.

It works wonders.

This set was with me for the last 3~4 years already. No issues so far.

Both map taken from MalSingMap, and must give them the credit for updating these maps frequently.

Simon