• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Engine oil found in coolant reservior

Guest broccoli

Guest broccoli

hi all

I sent my w203 c180 (4yr6mth old car) to MBM workshop for my 45kKM servicing today. Agony founding, the coolant in the reservior has turn chocolate, milk shake like. It is found to be engine oil that found its way into the coolant line, according the workshop guy.

I was told that the only way to find out what causes the seepage, is to dismount the engine and send for testing (pressure test). Possible causes are engine block crack (most expensive), piston head crack, gasket replacement or cooler motor. It is said that the repair or replacement cost will go as high as 10K.

This c180 was purchased 2nd hand 1/1/2 month ago from shuang hup. Servicing was done during 40kKM 3 months ago and it is 45kKM today when i send for servicng. Actually 2 days ago, there was an warning reminder to top-up 1 litre of engine oil. As I am planning for a driving trip up north to KL next week, I decide to send my car for a routine check at MBM.

Any bro out there has experience on this issue. Please advise.

So stress now.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cklasse

Tea with milk colour is an indication of oil mixed with water. I am afraid this money has to be spent to repair or replace. It is not easy to weld casted metal. The previous owner must have neglected the car a lot to cause this.

Guest LeeCH

Looks like it is going to be a costly fix up. Even if manage to trace the crack part where oil seepage into reservoir system is, I am afraid a welding job may not solve the problem. Worst of all this is an out of warranty case. Do keep us updated on the solutions meanwhile.

Guest kepiting1sg

Most expensive will be replacement of engine block, which will cost close to 10K including labor cost. I am keeping my finger cross. :love9:

IMHO,

Could be just a case of blown head gasket and that would be the cheapeast repair.

Not likely to be your engine block unless U can see smoke from your exhaust.

Could possible be a cracked or warped cylinder head too.

That U might be able to replace with a new cylinder head or a used 1 from the scrap yard.

If it's a cracked piston head, U will see white smoke in your exhaust cos engine oil gets into the combustion chamber of your engine.

You will also have lost engine compression with power lost too.

Oil in the cooling system is a sign of the engine oil getting into your cooling system and not coolant getting into your oil cooling system.

To confirm the latter, just pull up your engine dip stick and see whether the engine oil on your dip stick is milky too or not.

Most common cause is still blown head gasket.

U may just want to change the head gasket, retighten your cylinder head, flush your cooling system and refill your coolant and see how it goes.

That will be the cheapest option!

Please keep us inform and Good Luck Bro!

Guest kepiting1sg

Thanks bro for the reply.

Will update the once I have first hand news from MBM. Pray that it is only a gasket issue.

:welcome: :welcome: A warm welcome to you and hope you enjoy your stay with us!!!! :welcome: :welcome:

BTW I got my 1 year old pre-loved W211 E200K from Shuang Hup too but I sent the car to MBM for a checkup before I bought it.

• 1 month later...
Guest kelvyn

hi all

I sent my w203 c180 (4yr6mth old car) to MBM workshop for my 45kKM servicing today. Agony founding, the coolant in the reservior has turn chocolate, milk shake like. It is found to be engine oil that found its way into the coolant line, according the workshop guy.

I was told that the only way to find out what causes the seepage, is to dismount the engine and send for testing (pressure test). Possible causes are engine block crack (most expensive), piston head crack, gasket replacement or cooler motor. It is said that the repair or replacement cost will go as high as 10K.

This c180 was purchased 2nd hand 1/1/2 month ago from shuang hup. Servicing was done during 40kKM 3 months ago and it is 45kKM today when i send for servicng. Actually 2 days ago, there was an warning reminder to top-up 1 litre of engine oil. As I am planning for a driving trip up north to KL next week, I decide to send my car for a routine check at MBM.

So stress now.

Try this. May help?

• 12 years later...
On 4/25/2009 at 1:57 PM, Guest broccoli said:

hi all

So stress now.

Belated reply:

I’ve had a 92 Mercedes 190E 6 cyl  since 2011. At some point the coolant went Frappuccino colored. I have tried to empty and redo coolant to no avail. 

Regardless, I’ve been driving it like that ever since. I only use her around town and don’t try to go down the mountain and sit in a hot traffic jam. But I could let her run idle all day without overheating in normal weather.