• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Diff between sport and comfort

Guest Cerano

Guest Sareve

Comfort starts your car in 2nd gear, Sport starts the car in 1st. That's all there is to it unless you have a high end model with the AMG variable suspension kit (or something to that effect). In that case, you should have a button that allows you to change the ride height and firmness next to your gear stick, but I believe this function only works once you go into S+ or M+.

Guest tategoi

When in Comfort, do you feel that the car is unwilling to move in reverse gear? I have to step on accelerator to move it. When I switch to Sports and it starts to roll the moment I lift off the brake.

Guest Sareve

but doesnt the height of the suspension change with the mode? somehow i feel lower in sport hahah :yumyum: :clap:

Well your car MAY have this function if you specifically ordered the AMG dynamic suspension option, but it would be immediately apparent if you did because then you'd have the buttons to allow you to control ride height as well as S+ mode. If you don't have these buttons then... it's just an illusion :P You just think your car rides lower because you think sporty cars should be lower :P

The bottom line is, Sport just makes your car start in 1st gear while Comfort makes it start in 2nd gear. I believe that's about it. Gear change timings are exactly the same, I've tested this quite abit. Similarly, the whole perception that your car moves more in R when you're in S instead of C is just one of those illusions created by your expectations.

Guest tategoi

To get record straight, pressing the Sports button does not lower ride height. However, it does adjust the firmness of the damping, drag the RPM higher before up-shift, and make steering response sharper.

The lower ride height is due to the 15 mm lower sports suspension which is part of the AMG Sports Package, and it is not adjustable.

but doesnt the height of the suspension change with the mode? somehow i feel lower in sport hahah :yumyum: :clap:

Well your car MAY have this function if you specifically ordered the AMG dynamic suspension option, but it would be immediately apparent if you did because then you'd have the buttons to allow you to control ride height as well as S+ mode. If you don't have these buttons then... it's just an illusion :P You just think your car rides lower because you think sporty cars should be lower :P

The bottom line is, Sport just makes your car start in 1st gear while Comfort makes it start in 2nd gear. I believe that's about it. Gear change timings are exactly the same, I've tested this quite abit. Similarly, the whole perception that your car moves more in R when you're in S instead of C is just one of those illusions created by your expectations.

Is there any significant differences when moving off from stationery if u use sport mode or comfort mode? I personally feel that comfort mode is easier and smoother to drive... am I imagining things? Thanks for your clarifications in advance.

Guest angela

Is there any significant differences when moving off from stationery if u use sport mode or comfort mode? I personally feel that comfort mode is easier and smoother to drive... am I imagining things? Thanks for your clarifications in advance.

yes, as sareve mentioned, in S mode u move off in gear 1, in C mode u move off in gear 2. gear 1 has more power, gear 2 lesser.

yes, i too find that driving in C mode is best for feeling the power of the kompressor, and i've driven in C mode always before and after installing my sprint booster. i dun like S mode cuz it kinda jerks the car when i drive. i feel that in S mode, sometimes when doing hard revving, i find the car "throwing the clutch".

Guest funng

yes, as sareve mentioned, in S mode u move off in gear 1, in C mode u move off in gear 2. gear 1 has more power, gear 2 lesser.

yes, i too find that driving in C mode is best for feeling the power of the kompressor, and i've driven in C mode always before and after installing my sprint booster. i dun like S mode cuz it kinda jerks the car when i drive. i feel that in S mode, sometimes when doing hard revving, i find the car "throwing the clutch".

hmm. thats true, can feel the upshifts hitting harder at almost 4krpm. basically, not much diff la. I personally think its expectations, sometimes i feel like being a racer car driver, i press S and step on it. until i get overtaken and deafen by a ferrari or lambo. hahhaa. :evlaugh:

Guest TuMMyBeaR

Very true.... When in 'S' mode, the gear do not change as quickly as in 'C' mode. The reasons as to why in 'S' mode, the gears move off from 1st gear is becasue that is the 'S'tandard mode. In 'C'omfort mode, it moves from 2nd gear because of winter; snow conditions. As it is RWD vehicle, when there is snow on the roads, moving off from 2nd gear will allow the car to reduce wheel spins because of lesser torque being converted to the rear wheels....

Actually, all these info are in your owner's manual.... Hee hee.... ;p

Guest hwong

TuMMyBeaR ]

yes, i too find that driving in C mode is best for feeling the power of the kompressor, and i' wrote:

Very true.... When in 'S' mode, the gear do not change as quickly as in 'C' mode. The reasons as to why in 'S' mode, the gears move off from 1st gear is becasue that is the 'S'tandard mode. In 'C'omfort mode, it moves from 2nd gear because of winter; snow conditions. As it is RWD vehicle, when there is snow on the roads, moving off from 2nd gear will allow the car to reduce wheel spins because of lesser torque being converted to the rear wheels....

Actually, all these info are in your owner's manual.... Hee hee.... ;p

You have to be our in house represetative advisor and negotiator!!! Wha, could not meet up with you this morning... next time dude! :ninjaturtle:

Guest TuMMyBeaR

You have to be our in house represetative advisor and negotiator!!! Wha, could not meet up with you this morning... next time dude! :ninjaturtle:

Hahaha.... I try to help in any way I can la.... ;)

Sorry about this morning...Had to help a customer send her car to STA to get her faulty IU replaced....

Lao auntie, and very 'gu niang' one....spent 30mins trying to explain to her how to get there but she still don't get it.... :banghead:

So I gave up. Said I'll pick it up....hahahaha..... ::)

Guys, you need to flat out your accelerator from rest to appreciate the difference between Comfort and Sport ;)

Sport is exhilarating. Gear change between 5k and 6k rpm.. :rockon: :punk1: I'd never owned a car that had gone anywhere near redline on auto ;D

Guest angela

Guys, you need to flat out your accelerator from rest to appreciate the difference between Comfort and Sport ;)

Sport is exhilarating. Gear change between 5k and 6k rpm.. :rockon: :punk1: I'd never owned a car that had gone anywhere near redline on auto ;D

for my w203 in both comfort and sport mode, once i hit the button at the bottom of the pedal, the car hits the redline before every shift.. no difference once i hit the button... izzit different for the W204?

Willy ]

Guys, you need to flat out your accelerator from rest to appreciate the difference between Comfort and Sport wrote:

for my w203 in both comfort and sport mode, once i hit the button at the bottom of the pedal, the car hits the redline before every shift.. no difference once i hit the button... izzit different for the W204?

I observed gear change at 3.5k-4k rpm in comfort. But maybe I didn't step all the way. Let me try again this weekend and confirm ;D