• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Steering Wheel Centralised for C-180 (W204)

Guest echodeltax

Guest angela

In all seriousness, the whole automatically drifting off to the left for safety is a load of crap that your SE told you just to avoid fixing the problem. Think about it logically. There are 3 lanes on most roads, if you drifted left on either the middle or right lane, you'd be hitting someone to your left. If you drifted left on the left lane, you'll be smashing into a lamp post, tree or perhaps even a pedestrian if you're really unlucky. All these situations would not happen if the car just went straight as it supposed to.

touche, you have a good point.

but i also see it from another point of view: when you're tired, most of the time, you wont be on the right most lane, you're most likely to be on the left, where there are slower moving traffic. also, even if you are on the right most or centre lane, when your car veers to the left, the cars on your left are usually travelling at a slower speed, so they are more likely to be able to stop before they hit you.

most of the time, you will fall asleep on the highways, where there are "straight-er" roads without traffic lights. nearly all of singapore's highways and expressways have barriers on the left and right side to provide a minimal level of protection.

no doubt, i personally few both our points make their own stand.

however, like you, i still feel our steering wheel should point straight when left to their own devices, reason being - Have you ever released both hands, to buckle up, press a button on your phone, open a bottle to drink water, or for any other appropriate reason, and your car just veers off centre? its bloody dangerous.

Guest echodeltax

Dear Bros,

After you have adjusted your steering alignment and centralised it, it there any knocking/cranking sound when you turn your steering while your car is stationary??

I am referring to the new C-180 (W204).

Thanks.

Guest Sareve

Dunno about the C class in particular, but there is no such sound when I turn any my family's cars while they are stationary. The only time this happened was when my undercarriage was broken and some part of it was rubbing against the wheel.

Guest nightfly

I asked my SE about this left bias of the steering shortly after I took delivery of my C180. She said it's defaulted that way and that if I didn't like it I can have them fix it straight. I intend to do this during my 1st service which should be due sometime next month (already hit 10k but SE told me to save some $ and stretch it to 12k).

Guest echodeltax

I asked my SE about this left bias of the steering shortly after I took delivery of my C180. She said it's defaulted that way and that if I didn't like it I can have them fix it straight. I intend to do this during my 1st service which should be due sometime next month (already hit 10k but SE told me to save some $ and stretch it to 12k).

Why is it defaulted to the left?? So strange?? shouldnt perfect centered be the default.

• 1 month later...
Guest echodeltax

Just an update Bros...

Finally find the time to go C&C to centralised my steering... waited about 1hr+.

Initially it was pointed to the left about 1-1/2 degree.... asked the service advisor to make it perfectly straight for me. Maybe i sounded abit too fussy.... i dunno...

Anyway, I was really happy it was finally done after driving around with a tilted steering wheel for 2 mths+...

But when i drove back along the expressway, i realised that they over did it!!... now pointed to the right!! sianz.... :(

Comparing to previously it was about 1-1/2 degree left, now is about 1/2-1/4 degree right. :(

Why cant they do it properly once and for all... thought C&C should have some digital laser machine to measure accurately?? Since is a C-Class, shouldnt there be some markings inside the steering column to show that is centralised??

I am thinking can C&C get the mechanic to sit with me and test drive?? That would be easier for me to tell them how much "off" is the steering.

Guest TuMMyBeaR

Just an update Bros...

Finally find the time to go C&C to centralised my steering... waited about 1hr+.

Initially it was pointed to the left about 1-1/2 degree.... asked the service advisor to make it perfectly straight for me. Maybe i sounded abit too fussy.... i dunno...

Anyway, I was really happy it was finally done after driving around with a tilted steering wheel for 2 mths+...

But when i drove back along the expressway, i realised that they over did it!!... now pointed to the right!! sianz.... :(

Comparing to previously it was about 1-1/2 degree left, now is about 1/2-1/4 degree right. :(

Why cant they do it properly once and for all... thought C&C should have some digital laser machine to measure accurately?? Since is a C-Class, shouldnt there be some markings inside the steering column to show that is centralised??

I am thinking can C&C get the mechanic to sit with me and test drive?? That would be easier for me to tell them how much "off" is the steering.

Hi bro,

Which branch did you go to? Alexandria, Pandan or Ubi?

Let me know in advance if you are coming down. Let me try to get someone to go out with you to the roads....

Cheers

Guest echodeltax

Thanks bro Tummybear... you sound very nice and understanding....

Anyway dont think i got time to do the car again so soon, hv been in/out of C&C at least 4 times since i got the car for 2+ mths back. really waste alot of time. maybe next month or so when i am less busy at work.

Really appreciate your kind offer to help! :)

Guest Sareve

If you go to ulu pandan, get the chief mechanic to fix your car the next time you go. He recently fixed the SL's steering alignment very quickly when my dad brought it to him and told him about the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ehwwong

My steering is also not pointing straight. Is it very common for the C-Class??

common... but i couldn't care less since i like driving with 1 hand instead of 0 hands... >:D

Guest kepiting1sg

My steering is also not pointing straight. Is it very common for the C-Class??

common... but i couldn't care less since i like driving with 1 hand instead of 0 hands... >:D

wah! Driving with 1 hand arh!!

What do U do with the other?...hehehe :evlaugh:

Guest echodeltax

So all of you guys also got steering problem of not pointing straight?

Guess is really common for all C-Class. Then i will wait for my next service at 10,000 km.

Guest ehwwong

on a serious note.. i never did notice it because i am always holding it with 1 hand.. so it comes naturally to steer the wheel a little.. i did a test by driving with no hands and the car indeed move slight to the left.. it could be due to the road gradient in singapore.. only on a highway then i notice..

if it does not go way out, i will not fix it because it may get worse.. hehe

Guest c180g

I am also very affected by this steering not pointed straight thingy.

I remembered correctly the test drive car didn't have this problem, cos i did commented to my SE that it was perfectly straight.

• 1 month later...
Guest LeeCH

Before I got delivery of my C200, I was loaned a complimentary unit for a week. That unit was badly veering to the left as many have written here. Anyway, when I got my C200 a week later, there was no such feel. The next day after I took delivery, I went upgrading to 19". No alignment was necessary as I kept the diameter of the wheels to the same by adjusting tyre profile size. What I did to prevent this problem is to ask the mechanic to do a side slip adjustment. So far so good. A $25 cost puts all the problems of the car pulling to the left to rest. Will report further if the car pulls to the left/right in future.

Guest Clear Vision

Hi Guys,

Read so much about this issue and decided to post my experience and SOLUTION:

Been driving 6 Brand new cars and 3 cars have slight off center steering. SE told me all the craps, cant fix it and so finally on some friends recommendation went to this shop and have it fixed. Swee Swee, pefect job in say 30 mins. Cost S$60 for upto 1600cc and S$80 for above 1600cc. They have a sophiscated machines that place on all 4 wheels and steering wheel simutaneously and align....

I have no relation with this Company and have use them 3 times and recommended many bros all said GOOD.

Creative Trading, Jimmy Tay, tel 6257 7207

38 Woodlands Ind Park E1, #02-06.

Guest NewC180

Hi Guys,

Read so much about this issue and decided to post my experience and SOLUTION:

Been driving 6 Brand new cars and 3 cars have slight off center steering. SE told me all the craps, cant fix it and so finally on some friends recommendation went to this shop and have it fixed. Swee Swee, pefect job in say 30 mins. Cost S$60 for upto 1600cc and S$80 for above 1600cc. They have a sophiscated machines that place on all 4 wheels and steering wheel simutaneously and align....

I have no relation with this Company and have use them 3 times and recommended many bros all said GOOD.

Creative Trading, Jimmy Tay, tel 6257 7207

38 Woodlands Ind Park E1, #02-06.

I think it's called Computerised Wheel Alignment. Some tyre shops have them too. I did at Stamford Tyres in Lok Yang (Jurong) some time ago. But I think the price you've given above is quite cheap.