• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Exhaust fumes smell IN my w124

Guest mr w124

Guest mr w124

Hi guys. have decided to take the coe plunge next week. just some minor things to sort. Any other w124 owners have experienced this? there;s a slight to quite evident smell of exhaust fumes in the car, especially at high speeds. my wife notices is more than i do. anyway, was just wondering if it could be anything to do with the ac filters or is it a leaky exhaust. all comments would be welcome. Thanks guys.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my 2 small cents ... press the re-circulation button to turn the light on

that way ... the air stays inside the car and does not take in fresh air from outside.

this reduces the exhaust fume smell + aircon is colder + lower fuel consumption

aside to all experts .... how can i keep the recirculation mode turned on permanently ??

Everytime i start the car... the aircon resets itself and i need to keep pressing the recirculation mode

any advise is heartfelt appreciated !!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mr w124

I mentioned about the exhaust fumes smell in my car earlier. Thought it might be the cabin filters. Any chance that it might be a detiorated fire wall? might have crumbled after all these years. Any thoughts?

Guest mr w124

U r right mike. There is a hole there where i guess some plug was supposed to be. but the prob is that the smell seems to be coming from the ac. its more noticeable up front. can the plug be bought at any spare parts shop?

Guest mr w124

I'll try that. was driving back earlier with my wife seated in the back with the baby. She couldn't smell the fumes n neither could i from the front, then i dropped gear to overtake n rpm went to abt 4k. thats when the smell came from the front ac vents.

Many years ago, I had similar problem with my w124 too. What is worse is that it is so intermittent to trace where the smoke come from.

At times it was fine, some times the smell just penetrate through the ac vent, some times can even see smoke escapes through the bonnet while driving! Sometimes everything is fine!

Many workshops that I went to could find the cause of the problem until a certain one in JB found it!

The problem was traced to a minute crack on the engine cover. This crack is not visible because it is being blocked by the sparkplug cable which is being covered by a plastic piece. As the engine get rammed harder, small amount of engine oil escapes through the crack until the drip onto the exhaust manifold, that causes immediate smoke formation which penetrates into the aircon vent.

Well this was just my two cents worth, you may not be having the same problem.

Guest mr w124

Ya mine had the prob a few months back. swapped out the cover n changed the valve cover gasket/seal. that area is dry now where it used to be wet. still cant trace the smell. will be going to change the cabin filters soon n see from there