• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

S280 W220

Guest yoshikix

Guest yoshikix

Hi all , Im new here , the benz is family car , anyway I want to ask what is the button that can control the suspension to Sport 1 or Sport 2 ? When I press it , I feel the steering also harder , my dad is thinking of changing to the new S300L , does it have a button that can control the suspension too?

Thanks .

Btw my name is Vincent , nice to meet you all

Guest angela

hi vincent,

here are some pictures to help u...

ur w220 front console, look at row of buttons together with the harzard lights, the 2nd button to the left of the hazard light is the AIRMATIC DC suspension settings. press 1, it lights up 1 led, becomes a lil more stiffer, press again, it lights up 2 led becomes very stiff and u can feel more road...

1031fu.jpg

an example of AIRMATIC DC in action.

this is the SPORTS 2 setting, ie the stiffest suspension settings in the car. (NB - this is a CLS console, not S class.)

054.jpg

for the new W221 s class, yes, it has AIRMATIC and AIRMATIC DC suspension, but the buttons are not with the hazard light row, they are next to the command dial on the centre console.

cheerio!

Guest angela

Hi , thanks a lot , I can feel more stiff , but actually what is the main purpose? like corner more power or what? ;D

no sweat bro. s class my favourite car... all details locked inside the brain, just need to digg out nia...

no engine or drivetrain power difference, if thats what you're looking for.

very little change in grip of wheels, road holding wise..

but what the driver will "feel" is more connected to the tires... and of course passenger will be wondering why izzit more uncomfortable / bumpy... ur car will feel easier to corner as there is lesser body roll... but hey.. its still a 2.5 ton machine..

Guest yoshikix

I see , thanks so much , btw do you recommend if it best to set in C mode instead of S mode? I heard people say S mode start from gear one more power? Or C Mode . I remember when I was in a deep slope , I set to C mode , I don't need to press the Brake the Car will auto stay still on the Slope .

:rockon:

Guest angela

I see , thanks so much , btw do you recommend if it best to set in C mode instead of S mode? I heard people say S mode start from gear one more power? Or C Mode . I remember when I was in a deep slope , I set to C mode , I don't need to press the Brake the Car will auto stay still on the Slope .

:rockon:

depends on ur mood ah, i let my mood determine my style of driving hence the switching between S and C. for my c class, before and after put sprint booster, i always drive c mode, only when i feel like speeding to overtake some cars den i change to s cuz it gives me faster shift timings (could be my mind playing tricks, but i always notice the transmission RAMMING the gears).

anyway yes u are correct, s mode starts the car from gear 1-5. in c mode the car only uses gear 2-5, but u can override by shifting the gear stick to the left aka manual mode gear 1. naturally in gear 2 the car won't give u as much pickup as gear 1 but it gives a smoother gear change.

the w220 s280 doesn't come with SBC stock, iirc, now its called brake HOLD function so by putting the gear to D and releasing the brake pedal ur car is actually using the torque converter to balance the car when on a slope.. it may seem like a comfort feature but in the long run you're gonna wear something out as the hardware wasn't designed to keep a > 2000kg car balanced without aids.

vincent you can try the w221 s class or w211 e class for the brake hold feature, im not sure if the w204 c class has it. i know the CLS and SL has the older but very similar brake hold feature named SBC. imho merc brake hold feature is 100 years ahead of the rubbish bmw auto brake hold one.

Guest RedDevils

anyway yes u are correct, s mode starts the car from gear 1-5. in c mode the car only uses gear 2-5, but u can override by shifting the gear stick to the left aka manual mode gear 1. naturally in gear 2 the car won't give u as much pickup as gear 1 but it gives a smoother gear change.

Hi bro sillywilly,

Have a question. When you are in manual mode, any idea how do you can switch it back to auto mode while the car is on the move?

Thanks!

Guest yoshikix

sillywilly ]

I see , thanks so much , btw do you recommend if it best to set in C mode instead of S mode? I heard people say S mode start from gear one more power? Or C Mode . I remember when I was in a deep slope , I set to C mode , I don' wrote:

depends on ur mood ah, i let my mood determine my style of driving hence the switching between S and C. for my c class, before and after put sprint booster, i always drive c mode, only when i feel like speeding to overtake some cars den i change to s cuz it gives me faster shift timings (could be my mind playing tricks, but i always notice the transmission RAMMING the gears).

the w220 s280 doesn't come with SBC stock, iirc, now its called brake HOLD function so by putting the gear to D and releasing the brake pedal ur car is actually using the torque converter to balance the car when on a slope.. it may seem like a comfort feature but in the long run you're gonna wear something out as the hardware wasn't designed to keep a > 2000kg car balanced without aids.

vincent you can try the w221 s class or w211 e class for the brake hold feature, im not sure if the w204 c class has it. i know the CLS and SL has the older but very similar brake hold feature named SBC. imho merc brake hold feature is 100 years ahead of the rubbish bmw auto brake hold one.

Thanks so much man , anyway I look around the forum , most ppl drive C , E or SLK , those sporty kind , looks cool man .

Guest funng

yoshikix ]

sillywilly ]

I see , thanks so much , btw do you recommend if it best to set in C mode instead of S mode? I heard people say S mode start from gear one more power? Or C Mode . I remember when I was in a deep slope , I set to C mode , I don' wrote:

anyway yes u are correct, s mode starts the car from gear 1-5. in c mode the car only uses gear 2-5, but u can override by shifting the gear stick to the left aka manual mode gear 1. naturally in gear 2 the car won' wrote:

Thanks so much man , anyway I look around the forum , most ppl drive C , E or SLK , those sporty kind , looks cool man .

hahaa. bro. C and SLK look cool when you're a young(er) adult(of course, all the bros and sis here are young). E? I personally have differing views, maybe the smaller size will probably fit young(er) adults better but sometimes I feel 10 years older driving my E. unless got mods(like AMG kit or rims)to have a even sportier look. but S class is the daddy of (the more conventional/common) Mercedes Benz cars, you're cool in another way, sometimes just how you see things.. I would say there are people have not had the chance to sit in a MB(unless the taxi), much less drive an S, so :thumbsup: to you and :rockon:

Guest angela

Hi bro sillywilly,

Have a question. When you are in manual mode, any idea how do you can switch it back to auto mode while the car is on the move?

Thanks!

hey there :devil2: (red devil), next to your car gear stick, is there a C/S button? or is urs the one with C/S/M?

if its normal C/S, just press ur gear stick to the right for 2second, the gear will change back to D. or u can do quick shift up all the way to D, eg (u in gear 3 now, tap right, gear 4, tap right, gear D.) ok?

if its C/S/M, please change to C or S and follow steps above..

cheerio!

Guest RedDevils

hey there :devil2:, next to your car gear stick, is there a C/S button? or is urs the one with C/S/M?

if its normal C/S, just press ur gear stick to the right for 2second, the gear will change back to D. or u can do quick shift up all the way to D, eg (u in gear 3 now, tap right, gear 4, tap right, gear D.) ok?

if its C/S/M, please change to C or S and follow steps above..

cheerio!

Thanks Bro. Mine only C/S (C200 W203). Too lazy to read manual :P. Will give it a try.

Cheers!

Guest angela

yoshikix ]

welcome. yes, our s class is one of a dying breed... :' wrote:

hahaa. bro. C and SLK look cool when you're a young(er) adult(of course, all the bros and sis here are young). E? I personally have differing views, maybe the smaller size will probably fit young(er) adults better but sometimes I feel 10 years older driving my E. unless got mods(like AMG kit or rims)to have a even sportier look. but S class is the daddy of (the more conventional/common) Mercedes Benz cars, you're cool in another way...

u want to see cool? see a >2.5 ton s class do 250kmph on the NSHW over taking all of us... driven by kompressor... knnbccb...

the car dun make the driver, the driver make the car... funng if u touch the w221 s class, i promise u will dyno and wheel spin it clean of the ground loh.

Guest funng

u want to see cool? see a >2.5 ton s class do 250kmph on the NSHW over taking all of us... driven by kompressor... knnbccb...

the car dun make the driver, the driver make the car... funng if u touch the w221 s class, i promise u will dyno and wheel spin it clean of the ground loh.

hahaa. maybe. but my dad's old S. i respected the car more than thinking of fooling around with it. feels good driving an S actually. feels very good, like you own the world at time.