• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Very Foul smell from aircon! Like salted fish.

Guest SgLaKsa

Guest SgLaKsa

I noticed that the foul smell always comes out only for the first minute that the aircon is turn on. After a minute or two, it won't be there anymore. (I always press the button to prevent outside air from entering the car). I've tried not to press that button so as to let outside air enter, but instead of solving the problem, the foul smell was blown out more frequently during the drive in this case.

Does any expert here knows what is happening and what i should do?

Thanks.

Guest SgLaKsa

This is normal for all cars I think, it's probably the stale air trapped inside your aircon when you start it.

But the smell is getting from bad to worse, smelling like salted fish or dead rat now :tazzie:

SgLaKsa ]

This is normal for all cars I think, it' wrote:

But the smell is getting from bad to worse, smelling like salted fish or dead rat now :tazzie:

Honestly, i think its REALLY a dead rat lor!!!

Guest SgLaKsa

narmi ]

This is normal for all cars I think, it' wrote:

Honestly, i think its REALLY a dead rat lor!!!

kekekekeke... :) but thinking again, maybe thats true hor :surrender:

Try driving your car for at least 30min with the window down,air con on but temp set to the higher(mean heater), the smell should gone after that.

Is should be due to mist and wet carpet/floor mat .

Try driving your car for at least 30min with the window down,air con on but temp set to the higher(mean heater), the smell should gone after that.

just press the demister button can liao.

u mean using heat to kill germs?

Guest SgLaKsa

just press the demister button can liao.

u mean using heat to kill germs?

Ok will try that out bros, thanks for suggesting

Guest SgLaKsa

A friend of mine once had a lizard die in his aircon and it smelled TERRIBLE until he got a mechanic to disassemble the entire thing to take a look and fished the rotting lizard out.

Its quite possible lei..

my friend got a kitten stuck before until die!

he didnt eat meat for a whole week lor!

Seems like must strip down the system in order to find out :surrender:

I noticed that the foul smell always comes out only for the first minute that the aircon is turn on. After a minute or two, it won't be there anymore. (I always press the button to prevent outside air from entering the car). I've tried not to press that button so as to let outside air enter, but instead of solving the problem, the foul smell was blown out more frequently during the drive in this case.

Does any expert here knows what is happening and what i should do?

Thanks.

Are you driving a W211? If so, I had a similar smell before and sent it to Cycle to fix a few times until they changed my condenser and never had the same problem again. I believe it had something to do with the design of the condenser trapping water for tropical weather. I can't remember exactly the explanation, but it is a design problem that can be fixed.

Guest tategoi

Try blasting at the aircon at the highest fan speed every morning when you first start your car, and in the evening when you are about to reach home, for 5 mins. It worked for me in my previous ride. After a week the smell was gone.

Guest SgLaKsa

GASTON ]

I noticed that the foul smell always comes out only for the first minute that the aircon is turn on. After a minute or two, it won' wrote:

Are you driving a W211? If so, I had a similar smell before and sent it to Cycle to fix a few times until they changed my condenser and never had the same problem again. I believe it had something to do with the design of the condenser trapping water for tropical weather. I can't remember exactly the explanation, but it is a design problem that can be fixed.

Hi GASTON,

Mine is R171 so dunno whether the design is the same as W211 or not, anyway, it sounds like a good possibility. Thanks, i will get workshop to check on that :thumbsup:

Guest SgLaKsa

Try blasting at the aircon at the highest fan speed every morning when you first start your car, and in the evening when you are about to reach home, for 5 mins. It worked for me in my previous ride. After a week the smell was gone.

Hi tategoi,

Did you do that with hot or cold temperature? 9339 suggested using hot temperature. Thanks man :thumbsup:

Guest SgLaKsa

Could it be the air con filter that need to be replaced? I had that also in my GTI, but after changing the filter, now no more smell liao...

Hi exile, thanks for sharing your experience :thumbsup: I'll check the air filter too :punk1:

Guest SgLaKsa

I've tried blasting the fan at highest speed and temperature for 25mins of drive, Phew it was dam hot man. My wife really couldn't take the heat and kept complaining whether it's necessary. We were like in a sauna even with the top down :surrender: But it really worked, although not totally yet, maybe has to go for another round of sauna drive :surrender: At least the foul smell is 80% reduced now. Thanks to 9339 and Tategoi

Guest tategoi

Haha, but turning on the heater will definitely kill the smell faster. In my case, I kept the temperature at 22 and blasted till the smell was gone everytime I started my car. After one week the damped smell had disappeared.

I've tried blasting the fan at highest speed and temperature for 25mins of drive, Phew it was dam hot man. My wife really couldn't take the heat and kept complaining whether it's necessary. We were like in a sauna even with the top down :surrender: But it really worked, although not totally yet, maybe has to go for another round of sauna drive :surrender: At least the foul smell is 80% reduced now. Thanks to 9339 and Tategoi

Sorry my bad as i forget to tell you, "do it alone at night".. :iconsalut: