• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Power Steering Pump Game Over??

Guest Rysk

Just yesterday, I can feel that my steering is a bit stiff when I'm doing cornering at low speed. :(

Check my power steering oil.. level is normal.

Could it be the pump giving way?? ???

If so, what is the damage to replace the power steering pump?? :'(

Anyone have encounter the same experience??

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mooncake

It's happened once when I drove an A class along Bukit Timah Road. The steering wheel become stiff and locked at one direction which result the car keep steering to the right, after that I heard a screw dropped and the whole steering can be rotate in 360 angle. I was horrified and need to use emergency brake to stop the car from moving to the right. Luckily this happened around midnight where there is less cars.

In the end, I have to call the star asisst to tow the car to C&C.

The following day, the german technician explain to me that is rare that Benz has this problem. They replace the front shraft, steering wheel with some cables, fluid and the front axle.

I think is quite rare that power steering pump will have problem on a W203.

But I think the chances of my pump is faulty is quite high.

Another possibility could be due to fluid is old & forming air inside the braking system.. so on & off.. the brake is not working properly.. if thats the case, I'll need to service my power steering & replace the fluid.

Another possibility could be due to fluid is old & forming air inside the braking system.. so on & off.. the brake is not working properly.. if thats the case, I'll need to service my brakes & flush & replace the brake fluid.

I have to send it for a check..... heard to replace a pump incl. labour is up to $1.8k

errm u check your tyre pressure ?

Jenvid ]

Another possibility could be due to fluid is old & forming air inside the braking system.. so on & off.. the brake is not working properly.. if thats the case, I' wrote:

errm u check your tyre pressure ?

Checked already.. & is ok!

What I'm experiencing is like "on & off" kind of thing.. suddently very stiff esp. when doing sharp cornering.