• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Greetings to all from E250 cabrio!

Hello everyone, I'm glad to have found this club!

Do you have this similar problem that the car gives out a weird smell despite taking good care of your car eg: vacuuming, cleaning, no food allowed, close up the filter when driving, etc?

I need to change my aircon filter as it's unbearable each time I turn on the engine. Any recommendation where I can go and get it change at a reasonable price? Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird smell is pungent smell or what smell?

Bacteria smell then spray some dettol spray into your aircond return fan.

Merc interior has a common smell likely from the MBtex seats. This "standard smell" dated back as far as I had my first merc in 1981 and I realised all series have the same "mercedes smell"

Thanks for your reply j888.  

I've tried all sorts of air fresheners and disinfectant including Dettol, Autoglym, etc. to remove the smell but it's still there. 

I've even tried using ionizer but useless as it's only temporary.

I've even washed the car mat with soap and water.

It's not the leather smell from the seats, the smell can be quite offensive for a while the moment you turn on the engine. I've to unwind the window for a while when drive off, and wind up again when the smell is gone.

I've exhausted all possibilities to rid the darn stinky mouldy smell.  The only thing I can deduce/suspect is from the aircon filter.

Any areas I've missed out?

Thanks for your reply j888.  

I've tried all sorts of air fresheners and disinfectant including Dettol, Autoglym, etc. to remove the smell but it's still there. 

I've even tried using ionizer but useless as it's only temporary.

I've even washed the car mat with soap and water.

It's not the leather smell from the seats, the smell can be quite offensive for a while the moment you turn on the engine. I've to unwind the window for a while when drive off, and wind up again when the smell is gone.

I've exhausted all possibilities to rid the darn stinky mouldy smell.  The only thing I can deduce/suspect is from the aircon filter.

Any areas I've missed out?

If you have change your filter few months back then no point changing it, have to clean your aircon evaporator, can visit any shop that does aircon service :D

My method is simple. Remove aircond filter and keep spraying dettol into the aircond air in take module until half a can is exhausted, while maintaining aircond at full blast. Then shut off engine and let dettol stay in the aircond inlet for a few hours.

Works everytime and last many months.

Cost only $4 for half a can

Beats any form of aircond cleaning

It is under the passenger seat drawer. U have to remove the bottom panel under the drawer, above your car mat.

But remember you have to spray thinly into the inlet. Don't spray until it is so damp and wet. U want more mist vapour to go in and circulate instead of too heavy mist becomes liquid.