• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

C200 Kompressor vs C230 7GTronic V6

Guest LeeCH

Hello guys, been thinking hard about which one to make an order. Need some opinions, ideas and comments.

Most of my driving will be in Singapore roads. Speed limit is 90 in most places and I do 65% highway, ECP mostly, and a mix of 35% town driving. So for this combination, I know that C200 is more than sufficient for my needs. I also know that 2.5L V6 is linear power against a burst type of a Kompressor. And lets safely assume that both car falls within my budget. I have done my homework on the torque and horsepower combination too. Have also seen member morganoh's C200 potential after some works and his new numbers and amount of dollars put in as well.

I also drive on the NSHW up north non stop for about 2.5 hours to 3 hours non stop/ 1 short stop at around 150-170kmh on my way to visit my folks back home. This is once a month affair. For this I wonder if it is better to do with the C200 Kompressor or C230 (2.5L V6) that comes with 7G Tronic gearbox. My concern is mainly on working the Kompressor at high rpms for two to three hours that may be damaging on the long run. And also noise levels (not talking about insulation, just purely engine noise). Is there more issues and costs involved with taking care and running a Kompressor engine? (Yes, I know the 2.5L V6 costs more in road tax terms)

For your info, I am no cheongster driver type of driving. Prefer cruising. Sometimes spirited driving only but very rare. Never own a turbo/supercharge engine before. Currently driving a mini Japanese hatchback. Please do not ask me to do back to back test drive on both models because driving it in Singapore roads will never be able to differentiate it at all.

Laast but not least, is the C230 a 4MATIC drive? The C&C brouchre seems to indicate so but specs on sgcarmart.com indicates a RWD.

Thanks for the help and hope to hear from you guys and join the club soon. Thank you.

Hello guys, been thinking hard about which one to make an order. Need some opinions, ideas and comments.

Most of my driving will be in Singapore roads. Speed limit is 90 in most places and I do 65% highway, ECP mostly, and a mix of 35% town driving. So for this combination, I know that C200 is more than sufficient for my needs. I also know that 2.5L V6 is linear power against a burst type of a Kompressor. And lets safely assume that both car falls within my budget. I have done my homework on the torque and horsepower combination too. Have also seen member morganoh's C200 potential after some works and his new numbers and amount of dollars put in as well.

I also drive on the NSHW up north non stop for about 2.5 hours to 3 hours non stop/ 1 short stop at around 150-170kmh on my way to visit my folks back home. This is once a month affair. For this I wonder if it is better to do with the C200 Kompressor or C230 (2.5L V6) that comes with 7G Tronic gearbox. My concern is mainly on working the Kompressor at high rpms for two to three hours that may be damaging on the long run. And also noise levels (not talking about insulation, just purely engine noise). Is there more issues and costs involved with taking care and running a Kompressor engine? (Yes, I know the 2.5L V6 costs more in road tax terms)

For your info, I am no cheongster driver type of driving. Prefer cruising. Sometimes spirited driving only but very rare. Never own a turbo/supercharge engine before. Currently driving a mini Japanese hatchback. Please do not ask me to do back to back test drive on both models because driving it in Singapore roads will never be able to differentiate it at all.

Laast but not least, is the C230 a 4MATIC drive? The C&C brouchre seems to indicate so but specs on sgcarmart.com indicates a RWD.

Thanks for the help and hope to hear from you guys and join the club soon. Thank you.

Bro LeeCH, please allow me share my 2 cents worth. I personally drive one with kompressor, love the sound it makes. I agree with you that C200 is more logical, I personally would go for C200, looking at the power difference, 20hp, I would prefer the FC of a 4 cylinder would offer, compared to a V6. And yeah, roads are 90km/h.

Of course, sometimes buying is really what to you like and can afford. greater engine cap would probably mean much better accleration. I feel thats one of the more important reasons when choosing a C230 to C200. Another would of course be to tell ppl you can afford the extra 20k in price.

Germany technology and non-stop driving = Autobahn. I suppose non-stop driving was their concern in designing mercs, and at 150-170 km/h, the rpms won't be too high. If i can personally remember on the NSHW, I was cruising on 5th at 3-4k rpm? can't really remember exact numbers, but its nothing too high, engine temp would remain normal.

Reading on the threads, I'm aware some members have done 200+km/h for extended time periods. gotta wait for their replies.

Noise wise, I feel, occasionally kompressor sounds will irritated the sxxt out of you and ppl who never sat turbo/supercharged cars before will feel irriated or even some "fear"( concluded from the many "I know you're not going too fast, but the sound is telling another story"). Kompressor starts making noise at 2k rpm and the harder you press means the louder the sound, but of course, if one drives smoothly, you cannot hear a darn thing, probably.

I suppose 4matic is an option. RWD is more fun. hahaha.

Guest NewC180

I have tested both the E200 Kompressor and E230 V6 7G Tronic some time last year. I think the comparison should be similar for the C as the engines are similar.

The 230 V6 is very quiet and refine, and the 7G Tronic shifts gears very smoothly, as compared to the 200 Kompressor which has a much more vocal engine. If money is not an issue, I'll definitely go for the 230 V6.

My 2 cts....

I am drivind the C200, is more than good enough to me.

But i love the V6 7G too but not the C230.

If for me to choose,I would either a C200K or a C350 7G :devil2:.....No No to C230 and C280. :banghead:

Guest skipper

Price aside, the only reason I would get a C200 over the C230 is the lower road tax and low consumption. If those are no issues to you, go for the V6 because the engine runs so much more relax than the Inline 4.

Thank you so far to all friendly members here for the response. Seems like V6 is the way to go. Would love to hear from guys who are running on 180/200 Kompressor to speak on the experience. Especially the NSHW runs. Thanks.

Guest morganoh

Thank you so far to all friendly members here for the response. Seems like V6 is the way to go. Would love to hear from guys who are running on 180/200 Kompressor to speak on the experience. Especially the NSHW runs. Thanks.

I love my C200. cos after the all my modifications,

I personally felt that my C200 runs better than the C230, its better during low speed acceleration (between 0-140km/hr).

(but I'm not to sure at high speed acceleration (between 150-200kn/r), cos no chance to try on Spore Road)

cos my Torque is much more higher. at 350Nm. ( I just love the high torque)

during NSHW runs my W203 C180 has more high speed (140kmph onwards) accelerating compared to a FL 523i E60 which uses a 6 cylinder engine like the W204 C230.

NA engine won't give u much power after all its capacity is gone trying to sustain the speed, thats where the supercharger will help..

do note that i have clocked over 230kmph on my stock C180... thats the power of the older kompressor supercharger, and the new one is even better.

personally i like big NA engines becoz the power flow is smoother... <3 the S63 AMG...

Guest NewC180

during NSHW runs my W203 C180 has more high speed (140kmph onwards) accelerating compared to a FL 523i E60 which uses a 6 cylinder engine like the W204 C230.

NA engine won't give u much power after all its capacity is gone trying to sustain the speed, thats where the supercharger will help..

do note that i have clocked over 230kmph on my stock C180... thats the power of the older kompressor supercharger, and the new one is even better.

personally i like big NA engines becoz the power flow is smoother... <3 the S63 AMG...

Ummm.... FL 523i E60 is inline 6, whereas W204 C230 is V6. They are very different in my opinion.

I have both a FL 523i E60 and a W204 C180. The 4 cyclinder kompressor engine is no where near the in line 6!!! The inline 6 is very smooth (and so is the V6 in the E230 that I''ve tried before). On the other hand, I felt that the 4 cylinder kompressor engine in my C180 sounds kindof coarse though....

Can't really compare the power between the E60 and the C180 though. E60 is 190+bhp, whereas C180 is 150+bhp. And have to consider the car body weight as well...

Ummm.... FL 523i E60 is inline 6, whereas W204 C230 is V6. They are very different in my opinion.

I have both a FL 523i E60 and a W204 C180. The 4 cyclinder kompressor engine is no where near the in line 6!!! The inline 6 is very smooth (and so is the V6 in the E230 that I''ve tried before). On the other hand, I felt that the 4 cylinder kompressor engine in my C180 sounds kindof coarse though....

Can't really compare the power between the E60 and the C180 though. E60 is 190+bhp, whereas C180 is 150+bhp. And have to consider the car body weight as well...

no la dude, i was comparing a NA engine to a supercharged one.. i think thats what leech was talking about... i cant comment as to the w204 c200 and c230 cuz i i've only driven the w204 200, w204 280 and w203 c180 & c200...

i based my comparision of the w204 c200 and c230 engines on the w211 e200 and e230...

i think what leech wants is the personal opinion of the c180 and c200 users... which i gave from my point of view...

and OT a bit... newc180, i love ur combi of cars... =)

Guest NewC180

sillywilly ]

I have both a FL 523i E60 and a W204 C180. The 4 cyclinder kompressor engine is no where near the in line 6!!! The inline 6 is very smooth (and so is the V6 in the E230 that I' wrote:

no la dude, i was comparing a NA engine to a supercharged one.. i think thats what leech was talking about... i cant comment as to the w204 c200 and c230 cuz i i've only driven the w204 200, w204 280 and w203 c180 & c200...

i based my comparision of the w204 c200 and c230 engines on the w211 e200 and e230...

i think what leech wants is the personal opinion of the c180 and c200 users... which i gave from my point of view...

and OT a bit... newc180, i love ur combi of cars... =)

Oh ok.... just wanna give my 2 cts since I drive the 2 cars that you've mentioned about.

Now sharing my experience about the C180. I've never driven the C200 before, not even test drive, so don't know how the 180 compares to the 200. For Singapore roads, I think the C180's power is more than sufficient, and definitely not underpowered unless you're someone that always wanna be in the lead at traffic lights. Even this can be overcome with harder flooring I think. When the car is fully loaded with 5 ppl, the engine does feel a bit stretched, and you'll have to be heavier on your right foot to have the same drive.

I've changed from a BMW 318 to the C180, and I would say that overall, the power and pickup of the C180 is better (maybe becos it's new) though both cars have about 150bhp.

At the current going price of the C180, I think it is really value for money.

My 2 cts again....

Oh ok.... just wanna give my 2 cts since I drive the 2 cars that you've mentioned about.

Now sharing my experience about the C180. I've never driven the C200 before, not even test drive, so don't know how the 180 compares to the 200. For Singapore roads, I think the C180's power is more than sufficient, and definitely not underpowered unless you're someone that always wanna be in the lead at traffic lights. Even this can be overcome with harder flooring I think. When the car is fully loaded with 5 ppl, the engine does feel a bit stretched, and you'll have to be heavier on your right foot to have the same drive.

I've changed from a BMW 318 to the C180, and I would say that overall, the power and pickup of the C180 is better (maybe becos it's new) though both cars have about 150bhp.

At the current going price of the C180, I think it is really value for money.

My 2 cts again....

i believe the 318 u were driving was the E46? always felt that the E46 318 was a better car compared to the W203 C180... but now its clear that the W204 can kick the E90 in the arse and run fast fast away.. ;)

power and pickup better cuz of the kompressor supercharger... best thing that went into the c class imho apart from the technology.

Hi NewC180, drop by this meetup on 1st feb, you can have a feel on my C200.

dude... ur car is c200 look, but c73 amg inside...

My car is fully stock, only did my exos to show off only......

Guest NewC180

sillywilly ]

Oh ok.... just wanna give my 2 cts since I drive the 2 cars that you' wrote:

i believe the 318 u were driving was the E46? always felt that the E46 318 was a better car compared to the W203 C180... but now its clear that the W204 can kick the E90 in the arse and run fast fast away.. ;)

power and pickup better cuz of the kompressor supercharger... best thing that went into the c class imho apart from the technology.

Yup, my 318 was E46. Never drove the W203 before, so can't comment on the performance. Looks wise, for me I prefer the E46. Drove my stock 318 up KL many times averaging 200km/h without much problems, and car was very stable and good handling. Too bad that I've got to let it go as it was coming to 5 yrs old.

I didn't consider the E90 when I bought the W204. Already had 3 bimmers before and wanted to have a change, so bought the merc. So far no regrets!

did i read wrongly???? some1 said his car is stock except for the exhaust????? yes, i agree that he changed his exhaust, along with all the things that are connected to the exhaust......... hehehehehhe....

serious stuff now.........

the c230, rear wheel drive with 7 gears speed. smooth & comfortable drive. but not much can be modded... mayb can only add the sprint boaster. & also higher road tax 2500cc.

the c200, rear wheel drive with 5 gears speed. loads of things can be modded & after modding, will eat up the stocked c230 on NSHW. cheaper road tax 1800cc.

OR

c350, will eat all for breakfast, lunch & dinner without any mods........

c55, lets not go there..............

Thanks folks. Went to try out the C230 on a straight road this afternoon. Smooth acceleration but power delivery (torque) a bit sluggish. I come from a 83 hp car at the moment. So the C200 is already a big jump in power and performance. Better learn to walk before I run in the future as right now I am only crawling. Thanks again for the friendly insights.

Guest Quattro

Bro,

Will you consider PI? I have a unit C200 Kompressor AMG sport package come with the following

1) Pedal Shift Steering Wheel

2) Sport Suspension

3) Sport Seats

4) Audio 20 CD with CD-Changer

5) AMG Styling

6) Alloys AMG 17" RIM

7) Electric Folding Mirrors

8) Auto Dim. Mirrors

9) Heated Seats

10) Bluetooth Telephone preparation

We are asking for only $133,000 with an OMV est. $37,000

Colour - Cubanite Silver Metallic

Leather Artico / Cloth Black

If you interested, please call us at 68661411.

Bro,

Will you consider PI? I have a unit C200 Kompressor AMG sport package come with the following

1) Pedal Shift Steering Wheel

2) Sport Suspension

3) Sport Seats

4) Audio 20 CD with CD-Changer

5) AMG Styling

6) Alloys AMG 17" RIM

7) Electric Folding Mirrors

8) Auto Dim. Mirrors

9) Heated Seats

10) Bluetooth Telephone preparation

We are asking for only $133,000 with an OMV est. $37,000

Colour - Cubanite Silver Metallic

Leather Artico / Cloth Black

If you interested, please call us at 68661411.

Thanks for your offer. But I am looking for a black unit. And not too sure of getting a car in the latest economic situation. Thanks again anyway.