• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Mercedes plunges into Singapore River, 2 killed

winterfly

SINGAPORE - A car reportedly plunged into the Singapore River on Sunday (Jan 24) night, with two people believed to be inside.

Eye witnesses told The Straits Times that a silver Mercedes-Benz emerged from Valley Point Shopping Centre in River Valley Road at around 9pm.

It drove straight into the bushes next to the river before hitting the water.

There were apparently two people in the vehicle.

The police and the Singapore Civil Defence Force arrived shortly after, as several hundred people gathered near the mall to see what was happening.

Two bodies have been retrieved from the river.

The car has yet to be recovered.

Investigations are ongoing.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scanned through the Chinese papers. There were mentions of short circuiting and hence windows cannot be wound down to escape. Anyone can confirm if this is possible?

I remember a discussion here regarding safety features specifically doors unlocking in even of collision (if I remember correctly)

Scanned through the Chinese papers. There were mentions of short circuiting and hence windows cannot be wound down to escape. Anyone can confirm if this is possible?

I remember a discussion here regarding safety features specifically doors unlocking in even of collision (if I remember correctly)

There is no way of opening the window when the water pressure has not equalised. This is besides the point if the electrical system has been short circuited, or if the car still has a manual crank window. The pressure will be too strong for the window to be wound down.

According to Top Gear and MythBusters, go for the door as soon as the car hits the water. That is before the water pressure outside is great enough to force the windows or the doors stuck. Alternatively, there are people who keep a window hammer in their car for such an emergency.

Most importantly, stay alert and drive safely so that you minimise the chances of finding yourself in such a situation.

There is no way of opening the window when the water pressure has not equalised. This is besides the point if the electrical system has been short circuited, or if the car still has a manual crank window. The pressure will be too strong for the window to be wound down.

As far as I know, a 12Volt system will not short that easily but I stand corrected.  Any electrical engineer here?

In any case, water pressure should not have much of an effect if the windows can be wound down.

One more thing to note :  in the event of an emergency, brace yourself against your seat, push both your feet against the windscreen and push or kick.  The windscreen MAY be dislodged this way but of course there is water pressure.  And most evil of all -  there will be panic!!  

I have said before, I think the authorities should conduct a test on these auto-lock doors.

That reminds me . . I used to keep a hammer inside my car in case of emergency.  If Daiso runs out of $2 hammer, blame me and my friends!