• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Spring cleaning on my KNN filter

Guest aspade

Guest aspade

Its about a year since I had my knn filter installed. Think its time to have it clean. Can any bro know if there're any shops here that does the cleaning and recharging ? Watched the video and article on using the recharger kit but preferred to have it done by a pro.

BTW I will be happy to buy over any recharger kit from anybody whom does not need it any more (worst case I have to DIY).

Guest jenvid

My advice to you is to leave the filter alone. It doesnt really need spring cleaning.

Cleaning is required only when your engine oil gets dirty earlier in between oil change.

Guest camelot

Its about a year since I had my knn filter installed. Think its time to have it clean. Can any bro know if there're any shops here that does the cleaning and recharging ? Watched the video and article on using the recharger kit but preferred to have it done by a pro.

BTW I will be happy to buy over any recharger kit from anybody whom does not need it any more (worst case I have to DIY).

KNN filters need to be clean maybe once a year or every 10,000km. As it traps dirts and dusts. To clean it, you need the K&N cleaning kit which can be purchase at Autobacs or Stamford tyres or most shops that sells K&N filters.

Apply the k&n filter cleaner (in the cleaning kit)

Soak it for a few minutes (around 10mins)

Use a hose to flush out the dirts and the cleaner agent

If it's not clean, repeat the above steps until it's clean (by definition, don't need to be 100% clean)

Shake off excess water and let it dry

Apply the k&n filter oil (also in the cleaning kit) on the dirt trapping side

Allow the oil to settle for 15 mins

That's all you need to do. However, if you find that this is too time consuming, you can go to McWell Ventures:

51 Ubi Avenue 1 #01-06 Paya Ubi Industrial Park

Singapore 408933

They do it for a very low fee. Can't remember how much but should be less than $10.

Note: However, they don't do everything above, they just flush out the dirt with water and oil it and put it back.

Guest redhood

How careful should we be when oiling the thing? Heard that the oil may mess up some sensor when not done properly.

Can anyone let me know where I can get one for my Slk350? Is it difficult to install on my car?

Guest jenvid

Some personal opinion about K&N & other more porous filter.

By having lower filtration capability, more dirt/dust actually enters the engine block which some will stick to the engine wall coated with engine oil. As the oil recirculate, the dirt/grim acts as minute sandpaper grinding every friction pt where the oil flows. Needless to say, you can guess what happens after a while. Engine loses compression,piston lining wears out,con rod have more free play and all other stuff gets wears out etc. Only thing is how fast ? I have no answer.

If you read the K&N air filter instruction, it actually states that the filtration capability actually improves over time as more dirt gets trapped by the oil and the filter becomes less porous. If I am not wrong, it actually states clean every 100,000 km.

My view is that the car engine are build & design to last for a long while. The engineers/designer would have thought through the airflow required to give the engine the amount of air it requires to _meet_ specification.

It is no brainer for aftermarket opportunist to come up with a more porous air filter to let the engine breath easier, give better engine rev response and higher top speed. There is however a compromise, needless to say this is now obvious.

Check this link and you will get my point and think about what you wish to do.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Food for thoughts..... :tazzie:

Guest redhood

Thanks, Jenvid! That is quite enlightening. I service my car every 10000km, during which they also replace the oil filter. Will that contribute to removing the increased dust in the engine?

Guest RedDevils

Thanks, Jenvid! That is quite enlightening. I service my car every 10000km, during which they also replace the oil filter. Will that contribute to removing the increased dust in the engine?

Don't think so as K&N is the air filter to prevent dirt from going into the air intake.

Whereas oil filter is to filter out particles in the engine oil.

Cheers!

I go for power than a stock engine that last. Kekeke. :devil2:

Buy a faster car lah bro..... hahaha

Upgrade slowly lar..... $ not enough leh..... ;D

hahaha.... I fell off my chair and nearly drop my lappy man... kekeke :censored:

Guest Protoss

Jenvid ]

Upgrade slowly lar..... $ not enough leh..... wrote:

hahaha.... I fell off my chair and nearly drop my lappy man... kekeke :censored:

Cannot meh. :yumyum: :yumyum: :yumyum:

Guest fruitcakepablohoney

Protoss ]

hahaha...Protoss, you don't slowly slowly put lah....you is one shot put in all poison ! ;D

Guest camelot

Some personal opinion about K&N & other more porous filter.

By having lower filtration capability, more dirt/dust actually enters the engine block which some will stick to the engine wall coated with engine oil. As the oil recirculate, the dirt/grim acts as minute sandpaper grinding every friction pt where the oil flows. Needless to say, you can guess what happens after a while. Engine loses compression,piston lining wears out,con rod have more free play and all other stuff gets wears out etc. Only thing is how fast ? I have no answer.

If you read the K&N air filter instruction, it actually states that the filtration capability actually improves over time as more dirt gets trapped by the oil and the filter becomes less porous. If I am not wrong, it actually states clean every 100,000 km.

My view is that the car engine are build & design to last for a long while. The engineers/designer would have thought through the airflow required to give the engine the amount of air it requires to _meet_ specification.

It is no brainer for aftermarket opportunist to come up with a more porous air filter to let the engine breath easier, give better engine rev response and higher top speed. There is however a compromise, needless to say this is now obvious.

Check this link and you will get my point and think about what you wish to do.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Food for thoughts..... :tazzie:

I actually agree with what Jenvid say about the filtration capability gets better over time, however, I think at 100,000km is a bit of a stretch. When I took out my filter at 10,000km I am amazed to find what kind of dirt get stuck on the filter. Maybe can stretch to 20,000km but I seriously think 100,000km is a bit too long.

Jenvid also rightly pointed out the porous portion of the filter. As it's not made from paper, more air (so does dirt) gets into the system. However, that's why you need to do the oiling portion. It helps to reduce dirt as well. Don't over do the oiling, just moderately, ensuring the whole filter has a thin coat of oil. Then let it set (10 to 15mins) to prevent any dripping and it's good to go.

My $0.02 worth of thoughts

Guest Protoss

fruitcakepablohoney ]

Protoss ]

hahaha...Protoss, you don' wrote:

all poison[/u] ! ;D

Kekeke. 'Poison' must inject all at one time mah. :devil2:

Car must upgrade slowly coz not enough dough. Hehehe. :D