• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

"Reversing Not Possible" Error

geniusidler

That is some powerful error!

Certainly agree its some powerful error, never heard of this till now. Wow

Did a quick search, seems like such a message happened to MB owners around the globe. It seems to be caused by many varied reasons... really really a powerful error message.

Retired from Modding since 2012
G13B Cultus | GC8C WRX STi RA | SR20DET S15 Hiper Silvia  | E82 135i M-Sports   W176 A250 AMG Sports

2 months old should be FOC replacement of tranny if its tranny issue. Just try asking for coutesy car.

From whats out around the globe where a few possible issues was identified (related to this power error code).

As u updated, more error codes pops... so am guessing could be one of the confirmed issues out there i.e. just a fault code stuck in memory, which they erased/removed.

Well just a guess and wish ur ride got nothing major.

Retired from Modding since 2012
G13B Cultus | GC8C WRX STi RA | SR20DET S15 Hiper Silvia  | E82 135i M-Sports   W176 A250 AMG Sports

As car is under warranty, AD is legally obliged to make good whatever defect is in your car whether gbox or MCUs etc. Very very difficult to get AD to replace with new car.

Insist on proper corrective action all the way and if you are still not happy you can write to Eric Chan, Managing Director of Singapore Motor Operations, Cycle and Carriage Industries P/L.

• Like 2

Update from workshop:

Couldn't identify cause of fault. They test drove the car and other fault codes start popping up. Not even sure if its MCU or transmission problem. Gotta leave my car over weekend..

Should I demand to replace with a new car?

More then 50% is software issue. Received technical bulletin is due to software problem.

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Report the defect under "Lemon Law" and ask for a replacement. Gearbox problems can be chronic and will never go away. Have that in my new Peugeot 207 before. Sold the car within 1 year. 

"Lemon Law" was passed in Singapore's parliament on September 1, 2012, to strengthen consumer protection laws. Singapore's Lemon Law applies to all goods (including consumables and perishables) but it does not apply to services

Under the law, consumers can report a defective item within six months of delivery and it is the responsibility of the retailer to prove that the defect did not exist at the time of delivery. The consumer may have the option to request for repair or a replacement, and if that is not possible, ask for a reduction in price, or even a refund.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I am giving my feedback on 'reversing not poss, consult workshop' error message.

On 8.3.19, my son who was using the car, messaged me near to midnight that this message appear.  We liaise with my regular workshop Alan United of 9 years and they assisted to tow the car back to their workshop to check.

On 9.3.19 evening, the workshop boss Alan called me to say the gearbox+transmission control unit need to be replaced.  It will cost from S$4700 onwards.  Naturally I was shock at this cost which I had no budget at all.

I spent the whole night checking out on sale price and de-registering my car.  .  Whilst checking on used car price, I saw a high end sports car advertising for sale, the mileage was 250,000km.  Then I pondered, my car is 6 years only with 95000km mileage, surely the gearbox should last longer.

On 10.3.19, I called another workshop iCar to seek a 2nd opinion.  They quoted the same price range as my regular mechanic.  Fortunately this 2nd workshop is just next to my mechanic so I asked them to tow the car for checking.

1.5 hours later, iCar Justin called me advising the car can still be driven, he only need to service the gearbox and refill the oil as the current oil is more liquid than oil based.  He quoted $1000 for serving, I was so glad and asked me to proceed with the servicing.

I collected the car on 14.3.19 and was driving this car on both this Saturday and Sunday with no incident.

On 17.3.19 9pm, my son wanted to use the car.  Then he messaged me that the 'reversing not poss, consult workshop' appeared again.  As this message happened to him twice, he asked if the problem is due to him.  So he didn't use the car.  I messaged iCar and Justin says it shouldn't have this message. 

On this night, I started to check online on transmission problems.  Then I suddenly remembered my son's comment 'or is it him causing the problem' and narrowed to the spare remote control could be causing the problem as he is always using this spare.  

I seek out a 3rd workshop and asked if keyless remote control battery is low, will it cause the 'reversing not poss' error message?  He said 30% chance only.  He quoted to change the TCU will cost $2800.

Next day, I decided to check out both keyless  remote control batteries, both are using the 3v 2025 round flat battery.  I used both remote controls to test the car, both can start the car without the error message.

ICar Justin came to my place in the evening to do a computer diagnostics test and no error message was found.  He changed the battery of the spare remote control.  I test drive the car on 18.3.19 with the spare remote control, no issue.

On 19.3.19, I went to Autobacs to check out the tyres.  Then I decided to change my master remote control battery as well.

I spoke to the supervisor on tyre issue, and I brought my the keyless remote controls.  He said usually u need to change both batteries at the same time which I did now.

The battery cost $2.95.

I have been driving the car till today 21.3.19.  The 'reversing not poss' error is not showing now.  So I am a happy person without having to spend few thousand dollars.  

As to my regular mechanic Alan United, I have written him off already.  If I had believe him, I would have incurred at least >$5000 for a no major issue or ten of thousands if I decided to sell/re-register my car.

From now on, I will take control of my car for all mechanical issue.  Wherever there is major issue, seek out for 2nd or 3rd opinion.  

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 8/22/2020 at 3:45 PM, Tien said:

Old thread but thot i can contribute. I had this problem as well, 4yo car. faulty speed censor was the reason - sensor thot car is moving, hence prevent reverse gear. Change 4 sensors (located at each wheel) for sgd800 at authorised dealer.