• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Vibration and dashboard creaking???

JFCC

Did not share these earlier. In addition to the issues that I have had with the front air suspensions and the ABS sensor, at 20KM I had a change of engine mounting as when at stationery in D mode vibration can be felt esp. at the both the front seats including the steering.Occasionally back passengers can feel it as well. A change of the engine mounting seems to alleviate most if not all of the vibrations. I have left it at that. 

At abt the same time I felt as well that the driver seat belt holder (at the A pillar) generates a muted clonk sound when say going over smaller humps or some rough surfaces. Have not done anything about it. Lately I have also hear some on and off creaking sounds from the dashboard (cant tell what are the specific sources). A little disappointed with this for a 2013 car with 26KM mileage coming up.

Anyone has such issues? Wonder if such creaks (both at the A pillar and the dashboard ) can be fixed though. 

Cheers

bbwabbabe Tks During the change of engine mounting the trans mounting was deemed ok. Maybe a good point to recheck. As for the on and off creaking sounds from the dash and driver side A pillar (of which I suspect is the belt holder area?) , not sure this can be fixed but will give it a try though as you suggested. Had similar issues with X5 before and the gremlins eluded many a visit to PML!. "Disappeared " only when I got a little miffed and sold the car, unfortunately. Cheers

I had the creaking sounds from the dashboard when I first bought the car.

It just happened on and off almost everyday or every other day for a few months.

One day, it decided to "self-repair" and i didn't hear it that often anymore, maybe once a month. Haha strange !

Been experiencing creaks and rattles on the 3rd mth of A200 ownership.

Been in and out of See & See but it still rattles and creak. I think See & See only see and no touch.

Fast forward to 1.5 yrs onward, some of the creaks "heal" itself and now living with the rattles.

See & See promises to rectify it by having my car hospitalised for 2-3 days and they will arrange for a temporary car but again that was 1 year ago.

• Like 1

Got some creaking sounds from mine as well, but figured out that its coming from the screen mounting, so i just wriggle or adjust it a bit and its gone. LOL

stock polar silver CLA180 =)

Generally, the overall quality of car by most manufacturers (esp. that of European brands) have somewhat deteriorated over the years with the chase for volume and an expansion in models and of the concurrent increase in geographical spread of manufacturing bases to meet capacity and cost reduction. Past more decent quality (perhaps some myths here as well) and build-up of brand loyalty somewhat alleviate for them the negative impact of many quality related issues. While one can buy a "luxury car" per se , quality is not necessary given as such. They are good car still on many aspects.I guess one has now to take some trade-offs and absorb some frustrations along the way with their ownership. If not for the price we paid for them here in SG, our level of frustration is probably much less as one cld potentially have a short cycle of car ownership which simply means one get to enjoy a relatively "free" first few years of motoring. But having said that the damp squid about this even short cycle ownership these days ïs that it carries with it now more problems than in the past as indicated by JD Power rating over the last few years which indicate that the problems with the initial period of ownership has gone up as measured by their IQS (Initial Qtly Studies- 90 days) and by its VDS (Vehicles Dependability Studies- 3 yrs).

E.g. for Mercedes rating for 2015 by JD Power (premier agency for car quality review) with some comparison to other makes

2015 IQS

MB - 111 (problems per 100 cars), Industry Average -112

Hyundai -95

BMW - 99

Lexus -104

Audi -115

VW -123

2015 VDS

MB - 119 (pp 100cars); Industry Average - 147

Hyundai - 188

BMW - 146

Lexus - 89

Audi -138

VW -165

The only consolation it seems to me is that every car manufacturer has its own issues and the proliferation of techs in the car (new S and the upcoming E) generally adds to the reliability issue. I wonder we do need all of them.?

On the side. I hope the "self healing" as shared by some above works for me as well as going by rating at the least MB's VDS seems better than its IQS.......??

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Just an update on the creaking dashboard sounds I mentioned before and a new concern. Mileage now close to 28K ( 2013 Car). Unfortunately no self healing for the creaks but seems to get a little worse esp the creaks coming from driver side and  that coming from around the navig screen. Did not have a chance to bring it to the wksp as yet. In the meantime I noted that the car primary ride and secondary ride seems to get a little poorer and on occasion rather audible "clonk" sound from undercarriage can be heard. This happens over relatively rougher surface (esp. that of low frequency and higher amplitude) Secondary ride ( over higher frequency but lower amplitude - i.e. poor surface but not big bumps) also seems to be poorer. Been reading about the air suspension issues on another thread and I am wondering whether my car air suspension (or related parts) are getting into some sort of trouble. Did not experience such issues before 23-24 K mileage. Duh! Basically it has been a bit of a disappointing experiences with the S Class. Was thinking of swapping to the new model but friends who had it have had their issues as well esp the hybrid model. Anyone has the ride quality issues? I hope Lexus will come up with smaller engine ( maybe 3 litr turbo say for its LS range  ? esp now that the new upcoming RX and GS will have turbo engine for a change) as it cld be an alternative to S class for some. A friend who has the LS seems to have little issues with it after even 5 yrs of ownership....!. Appreciate any sharing re the ride issues. Cheers