• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Parking Lights Wont Switch Off

Hi guys my ride is acting up again.  The white xenon parking lights die off quite fast (less than a year) and recently the lights won't switch off.

For the sake of clarity i do turn the lights off manually when i get home after work and visually check to make sure ALL the lights are off before i leave the car park.

However off late i notice after 1-2 hours the right parking light turns on again.  And this is only the right side parking lights front and rear.  When i check the switch in the car its in the "off" position and i have to toggle on and off again to switch the lights back off.

This has happened a few times.  Have you guys had this problem before. I am driving a w204 c class.

It seems this is a common problem: see: 

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204-c-class/1768049-cannot-turn-parking-light-off.html

http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205/578466-does-anybody-know-how-turn-off-these-lights.html

Will appreciate any guidance pls.  tks

Brought to workshop.  Quick summary is they don't understand why only the right side parking lamp turns on.  One theory is that as the lamp is failing and needs replacement the OBC turns on that lamp to identify the failing lamp for replacement.

Anyway they did some test, hook up the car to some PC and no results showed.  

So i just tell them to unplug the parking lamps fer me. They did it FOC. Very nice of MBM Wheelpower.  And they did all this during lunch time.

If i want a more complete diagnostic i have to leave the car with them. But to be honest i can't be bothered. The white xenon parking lamps wear out so fast so i can't be bothered replacing them.  Each set costs $180.  

Bro Darkseid,

Maybe you can leave headlight switch to Auto & try again? Do keep us posted on the result!

Hi bro Robin1 i gave my update in the above message.  I am leaving my parking lights unplugged.  Its just too much of a hassel as the lifespan on the white xenons are very short. Fortunately my main headlamps and LEDs are ok.

Latest update which is unrelated to the parking light issue is the ECU warning lamp lit up again.  Car still drives smoothly but as a precautionary measure i brought it to c&c.  They replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor. Cost about $1k all-in.

Did you know u can clean the MAF instate of replacing the MAF? It cost less than a fraction of the price

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

C&c said the whole Airflow sensor was spoilt n had to be replaced.

They also say thet replaced some filter thing foc.

Sorry i m not a tech guy so i had to take their word for it

quote name="thaiedwin" post="222930" timestamp="1435195860"]Did you know u can clean the MAF instate of replacing the MAF? It cost less than a fraction of the price

Nope. I checked. So far so good. It only triggers the obc warning light.

C&c say just leave it n fix it next servicing.....

They tell me quite afew mercs have this issue. Something to do with short circuit switch. Again i m sorry i cant be mre clear on the details. It was busy work day n i was rushing to just pick up car n make payment.

If u take out the park light, won't one of the rear light also come on?

Take out the engine cover and see if you can locate it, it should have a cable plug into it.

If I am not wrong it should have a mesh around it

I will check and get back to you

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

tried that. Parking light goes off but a few hours later they turn on again.

I think this started when the OBS detected the right side lights are about to fail.  They have not failed yet but they were flickering.  The system tries to be smart to turn on the defective light to identify the failing light for easy replacement.

Only the right side light turns on by itself.  Left side stays off as it was still ok.

Anyway it was too much of a hassle and the parking lights were failing within a year so easiest solution is just to remove them.

Try turning the knob left and right a few times while applying pressure to the knob? Might be a poor connection inside the switch. Worked for my W124 last time.

Take out the engine cover and see if you can locate it, it should have a cable plug into it.

1.6 kompr not too sure have engine cover. Sorry I am noob in this trying to learn more on how to self service certain part of the engine

If I am not wrong it should have a mesh around it

I will check and get back to you