• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Beware !

Guest 9339

Read this in another forum so extract it and post it here:

Just happen last week in Singapore...

Do warn your household members not to accept any surprise gifts during this Christmas or New Year seasons. Never let them have your credit card or even swipe it on a gadget they carry with them.

SOMETHING TO BE AWARE OF

It works like this:

Last Wednesday I had a phone call late morning from Express Couriers to ask if I was going to be home as he had a delivery for me. He said he would there in roughly an hour. He turned up with a beautiful basket of flowers and wine. I expressed my surprise as I wasn't expecting anything like this and said I was intrigued to know who was sending me such a lovely gift. He said he was only delivering the gift and the card was being sent separately (the card has never arrived). There was a consignment note with the gift. He went on to explain that because the gift contained alcohol he has to charge the recipient $3.50 as proof that he has actually delivered to an adult, and not left it on a door step if the recipient is out, to be stolen or taken by children. This seemed logical and I offered to get the cash. He then said that the company required the payment to be by Eftpos so he's not handling cash and everything is properly accounted for.

Frank was there and got his credit card and 'John' swiped the card on this small mobile machine that also had a small screen upon which Frank entered in his pin number. A receipt was printed out and given to us.

Between last Thursday and Monday $4,000 was withdrawn from our credit account at ATM machines in the north shore area. It appears a dummy credit card was made using the details in the machine and of course, they had Frank's pin number. The Bank has stopped our cards and I've been to the Police this morning, where they confirmed that it is a definite scam and many households were hit during the first 3 days of October.

So PLEASE be wary of accepting a gift you're not expecting especially if the card is not with it. We've all received gifts like this and would never dream that it could be such a despicable act. Please also let other female friends and relatives know. Hopefully, these fraudsters have ceased this activity by now but you never know.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest camelot

9339 ]

Read this in another forum so extract it and post it here:

Just happen last week in Singapore...

Do warn your household members not to accept any surprise gifts during this Christmas or New Year seasons. Never let them have your credit card or even swipe it on a gadget they carry with them.

SOMETHING TO BE AWARE OF

It works like this:

Last Wednesday I had a phone call late morning from Express Couriers to ask if I was going to be home as he had a delivery for me. He said he would there in roughly an hour. He turned up with a beautiful basket of flowers and wine. I expressed my surprise as I wasn' wrote:

Hmmmm...

Eftpos, North Shore... sound very Australia... Probably Sydney

Guest Protoss

Just asking members to beware of such scams.

Not to investigate the source. Hahaha. :batman:

Hmmmm... occupation disease

Do joins us for our GTG and meetups. :3some:

It will be nice for someone with your occupation around. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest camelot

IT very wide broad field. hehehehe....

computer forensics? haha... i just curious and kaypoh, that's all.

Hahahaha... I am in Business Development...

I think you are more keen on my sideline... :)

Ref no: SSWG 01/2009

5 January 2009

Community Involvement Division

Operations Department

Police Headquarters

New Phoenix Park

28 Irrawaddy Road

Singapore 329560

Dear members of the Safety and Security Watch Group,

CRIME ALERT: USE OF COUNTERFEIT MONEY AS MODE OF PAYMENT

(FOR YOUR INFORMATION)

Police has recently received reports of unknown person using counterfeit money

as mode of payment. To date more than 30 cases were reported and as we approach

the period of festive sales, we would like to reiterate the importance for being vigilant.

Modus Operandi

Please take note that the culprit will normally use a fake currency note of S$50/-

note (commonly bearing the serial number: 2EY322725) at pubs, restaurants, petrol

kiosks, convenient stores and 4D outlets for purchases.

The scam can also take in other forms ie culprit may also seek assistance in

changing loose notes using counterfeit money, on the pretext of urgent need.

Crime Prevention Measures

Public and sole proprietors should remain alert and pay extra attention when

customers pay for purchases using higher denominations of cash, e.g. S$50/-. Below

are a few measures which can assist public to identify counterfeit notes and prevent you

from falling victim to a similar ruse.

What to look out for?

1. Counterfeit Notes using serial number: 2EY322725;

2. Poor quality paper that has a waxy surface without the following intaglio:

a. No raised printing;

b. No shimmering effect on the kinegrams;

c. No Security Thread; and

3. Although the counterfeit note simulated the outline of the watermark, but it does

not have three-dimensional portrait of the late President Yusof Bin Ishak when

examined under light.

What retailers and shop owners can do to prevent falling victim?

1. While such cases are not new, cashiers should be constantly reminded to be

vigilant to prevent from falling victim;

2. During peak hours, cashier should decline requests for change of larger notes

politely by citing the long queue as a reason;

3. If possible, additional staff should be deployed, especially during peak operating

hours;

4. CCTVs should be strategically positioned to cover the cashier counter and allow

the image of customers to be captured;

What you can do when you receive such notes?

1. When presented with the counterfeit note, do not return the suspected note to the

suspect;

2. Delay and keep the suspect at sight and if possible contact the police

immediately;

3. Take note of the description of the culprit, eg gender, age, height, built, attire,

scars/tattoos, accent of language or any distinct features;

4. Note the suspect(s)’ mode of escape and take down the vehicle registration

number if he/they had escaped in a vehicle;

5. Minimize the handling of the note and carefully place it in a envelope/polymer

bag and hand it to the Police when they arrive.

We seek your assistance to disseminate the crime alert to all your members so

that they can take the necessary precaution to protect themselves against such crime.

If you have any information relating to the above cases, please do not hesitate to

contact Police hotline at 1800 – 255 0000 or dial ‘999’ if urgent police assistance is

required.

Yours faithfully,

SHERRIN CHUA

ASSISTANT DIRECTOR

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT DIVISION

OPERATIONS DEPARTMENT

SINGAPORE POLICE FORCE

Crime Prevention - A Shared Responsibility