• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Stinky air con

I read somewhere or someone told me (can't remember which is which) that there is a difference between the Jap and Conti car aircon system hence Conti cars are more prone to getting stinky smell.

Since we are on this topic, has anyone tried charcoal aircon filter before?  How is the difference?

Bro. Org merc ac filter is alrdy charcoal liao...

Does any body know where the aircon filter is located? Is it easily accessible for cleaning/replacement?

Big sweat small sweat... For w204, its under the glove compartment, carpet all must take out. Zzz pay garage labour let pple earn and change for u ba... Still alot cheaper compare to be replaced at 吸n吸......... Ur $

In the new S-Class (W222?), there is an "Air Balance Package' and I quote:

The vehicle interior can be fragranced to preference with the AIR BALANCE package. There is a choice of four high-quality interior fragrances according to personal preference and mood. In addition, the air quality can be improved by oxygen ionisation and filtering of the incoming air.

The vehicle occupants can switch the fragrance on and off, as well as adjust its intensity. Use of this feature does not change the smell of the interior permanently, not do the fragrance molecules settle on the textile surfaces in the car or the occupants' clothing. The fragrance is subtle, is dispersed gently and subsides again quickly.

There is a container in the glove compartment for the glass flagon with the different fragrances (NIGHTLIFE MOOD, DOWNTOWN MOOD, SPORTS MOOD, FREESIDE MOOD), which are intended to remind one of a perfume. The air in the interior is cleaned through ionising with oxygen and can thus contribute in large part to the feeling of well-being. The package includes air filters that clean the air in the vehicle interior constantly.

There are some petrol station where their car wash operator offer bacteria disinfecting service for $10, it kills the algae and the sour smell of aircon. They put a machine in the car and with aircon running at full blast, the machine release some smoke looking compound which will circulate everywhere in the car including the cooling coil.

It works most of the time.  Of course the cabin filter should be changed before hand.

In conti cars, the temperature is maintained by mixing hot and cold air. The coil tends to get algae growth.

I wrote a freaking long email to Germany to complaint about the smell. They change air filter for me free. After 4 months smell came back. I don't have perfume but I smoke in my car with air con off though.

i guess, i'll have the same fate aft 4 mths. haha. hopefully not..

For a guy who spends the day sweating in the lorry.... Smelly air con at night in the car has never been an issue with me... End of the day... Different people... Different demands.....

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Insights from a lady PHD Engineer why the aircon has stinky smell. Long story, anyway heed her advice and off the aircon after I park my car, wait for 5 to 10secs then off the fan. The next time when I go back to my car to start the engine, either there's no more stinky smell or very mild only. Btw, my mileage is 30K. CHeers!

If u noticed the right/left side panel of the gear area, usually it will be very cold after your drive. Heard from mechanic that its due to the moisture condensation of water from the aircon. When u park your car after awhile and try to start again, the foul smell will surface. Its due to the trap moisture and is common among C at least. Unless you get the draining system fix else it will always happen.

Insights from a lady PHD Engineer why the aircon has stinky smell. Long story, anyway heed her advice and off the aircon after I park my car, wait for 5 to 10secs then off the fan. The next time when I go back to my car to start the engine, either there's no more stinky smell or very mild only. Btw, my mileage is 30K. CHeers!

Off wat fan?

It's been a week and the stink did not return.

Yeah so it's the air con filter......

Enjoy the clean nice air... remember dun packet durian in car. Else its more than just changing the internal air filter.... :sick: