• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Improving steering feel...

Guest redhood

Redhood and Noitalogesto, u both drive the same car...

how come 2 different types of steering feel? i've driven both the slk200 and slk280, but not the 350 yet, i found their steering to be acceptable - not as rock heavy as the w203 c class and not as light as the w220 s class...

maybe u both should meet up and test each others ride?

:offtopic: redhood... i give u heavier steering... swap ur slk with my c class... "LEAVE THE PROBLEM, CHANGE THE CAR..." :yumyum: :yumyum: :yumyum: :offtopic:

unless u opt for the direct steering™, it will feel light at slow speed and heavy at high speed OR Redhood got bigger biceps then me...

btw the cheapest way for a heavy go-kart feel is to drain ur power steering empty. which i dun recommand

Guest redhood

u wannt try mine?

i adjust my front camber and toe to tracking purpose...

now u have to fight it...

Mine's stock and I don't think got Direct Steer, so maybe that's why the steering feels "indirect". :-\ running on stock 17"s with CSC3s.

It just occured to me cos' I recently drove a beemer and felt that the steering feel is so much heavier with better accuracy, and mine is a sportier car. :banghead: maybe it's the run flat tyres...

will definitely take up your offer, deh! when and where?

Guest redhood

:offtopic: redhood... i give u heavier steering... swap ur slk with my c class... "LEAVE THE PROBLEM, CHANGE THE CAR..." :yumyum: :yumyum: :yumyum: :offtopic:

no thanks. Thought I left the problem when i sold my W201.

u wannt try mine?

Mine's stock and I don't think got Direct Steer, so maybe that's why the steering feels "indirect". :-\ running on stock 17"s with CSC3s.

It just occured to me cos' I recently drove a beemer and felt that the steering feel is so much heavier with better accuracy, and mine is a sportier car. :banghead: maybe it's the run flat tyres...

will definitely take up your offer, deh! when and where?

do u know that there is no free lunch in the world?

ur front tyre will wear out more then usual(actually mine still seems new after 5kKM+ 1 tracking session)

toe-out("what i feel") will make the steering abit harder & any uneven surface on the roads will have a jerk on the steering...

lets say a normal sg road, i release my hand and the steering wheel seems to be dancing according to the road surface,

any dips or cracks make u go: "What the hell?!? SLK r u trying to tell me the road tax we are paying is not worth the road condition?"

Guest redhood

Noitalogesto ]

u wannt try mine?

Mine' wrote:

ur front tyre will wear out more then usual(actually mine still seems new after 5kKM+ 1 tracking session)

toe-out("what i feel") will make the steering abit harder & any uneven surface on the roads will have a jerk on the steering...

lets say a normal sg road, i release my hand and the steering wheel seems to be dancing according to the road surface,

any dips or cracks make u go: "What the hell?!? SLK r u trying to tell me the road tax we are paying is not worth the road condition?"

aiyah, some of the roads in Singapore really leaves much to be desired, even on the plush stock settings on my ride. I don't blame the F1 drivers for saying our track is bumpy. It's bumpy even on a normal car!!!

but coming back to steering feel, would wider wheels make enuff difference? Are you running 18s or 19s?

redhood ]

u wannt try mine?

Mine' wrote:

aiyah, some of the roads in Singapore really leaves much to be desired, even on the plush stock settings on my ride. I don't blame the F1 drivers for saying our track is bumpy. It's bumpy even on a normal car!!!

but coming back to steering feel, would wider wheels make enuff difference? Are you running 18s or 19s?

im running 19" 235 in front which i dun recommand, 225 is the optimum

redhood ]

u wannt try mine?

Mine' wrote:

u try driving on the road opp Rail Mall...

what the hell r they thinking??? trying to break my suspension so i must replace a new 1 and give them 7% profit?

redhood ]

u wannt try mine?

Mine' wrote:

Redhood, did u opt for the sport suspension?

Guest redhood

Noitalogesto ]

redhood ]

u wannt try mine?

Mine' wrote:

aiyah, some of the roads in Singapore really leaves much to be desired, even on the plush stock settings on my ride. I don' wrote:

don't think I have sport suspension. It's very soft, so cannot be. Must ask C&C the next time I bring it in. I am happy with it 90% of the time, since humps and bumps don't transfer too much to my ass.

redhood ]

Noitalogesto ]

u wannt try mine?

Mine' wrote:

aiyah, some of the roads in Singapore really leaves much to be desired, even on the plush stock settings on my ride. I don' wrote:

don't think I have sport suspension. It's very soft, so cannot be. Must ask C&C the next time I bring it in. I am happy with it 90% of the time, since humps and bumps don't transfer too much to my ass.

i feel the stock suspension is kinda semihard for everyday driving tho... but it too much bodyroll for tracking...

i heard that the brabus lowering spring will 1)Lower ur ride 2)make SLK less twitchy at hard cornering 3)lesser bodyroll, while maintaining the stock feeling

unless u opt for the direct steering™, it will feel light at slow speed and heavy at high speed OR Redhood got bigger biceps then me...

btw the cheapest way for a heavy go-kart feel is to drain ur power steering empty. which i dun recommand

direct steer does it help to make the steering wheel feel lighter ?

mine was quite heavy i prefer light feel as light as audi

any idea if i install direct steer it will feel light ?

please advise

er, i dun think u can, it fixed from germany...

i think it the whole rack and pinon...

btw, how come u say ur one too heavy for u and u want a lighter steering???

Redhood, how come u say ur one too light and u want a heavier steering?

Guest redhood

Will the Brabus make me slower at humps? I feel the travel of the stock springs are really scary sometimes. In fact, I've hit the bottom of my chassis once over a hump at Commonwealth car mart. Really ridiculous. Thus, I'm worried that if I lower the car, I will kena jialat jialat at every hump.

Will the Brabus make me slower at humps? I feel the travel of the stock springs are really scary sometimes. In fact, I've hit the bottom of my chassis once over a hump at Commonwealth car mart. Really ridiculous. Thus, I'm worried that if I lower the car, I will kena jialat jialat at every hump.

actually the stock springs i go VERY slow on humps cos i realise that even at normal "roadster" hump speed, u will scrap a little bit on the front bumber which u will never notice even u bend down to see but when the car is hoise UP u will see it...

but i think lowering of the stock ride height of SLK is ok in SG since many people also opt for Sport Suspension and some Singaporean owns a SLK 55 which is even lower!

just go slooooow on hump... heck any1 who high beam or horn u for going that slow... after the hump let them smell smoke for being impolite :iconsalut:

oh ... cant be help.

mine's the latest facelift slk what about redhood ? Are u having the same ride ?

A qn: whenever i corner i could feel the boat effect from my rear its so unstable

anyone encounter this ? All stock ?

Does changing the ARB and Suspension helps ?

Anyone can recommend a very reliable workshop that can check on my wheels.

recently after changing to a 18inch rims, when ever i corner to the right i got some grinding sound from my rear tires and when i am doing a reverse there is few grinding sound...

i ask the shop before installing it they say no problem wont have sound .. sickening

pls advise

oh ... cant be help.

mine's the latest facelift slk what about redhood ? Are u having the same ride ?

A qn: whenever i corner i could feel the boat effect from my rear its so unstable

Anyone can recommend a very reliable workshop that can check on my wheels.

recently after changing to a 18inch rims, when ever i corner to the right i got some grinding sound from my rear tires and when i am doing a reverse there is few grinding sound...

i ask the shop before installing it they say no problem wont have sound .. sickening

pls advise

whats ur stock rim size?

can u attach a pic of ur car on the side profile so i can see the clearance and get a better picture.

(u may also PM me)

btw, if u UP size ur RIM u have to readjust ur suspension alignment because the ride height is different.

isit a tic tic tic sound or a "rubber rubbing against body" sound?

caractae_slk ]

oh ... cant be help.

mine' wrote:

boat effect[/b] from my rear its so unstable

how fast are u cornering???

its sound like there are not enuff downforce on the rear...

Guest redhood

Yah, I agree that Direct Steer is not an after-market option. Must order from factory, otherwise, too bad.

Mine's an '06 pre-FL 350. I don't think there is Direct Steer. My steering is very light, almost can drive with just thumb and forefinger. Dunno why Caractae's is heavy. Maybe our definition of heavy and light quite different. For sure, my biceps is only size of "little mouse", so can't say I too strong for my SLK. Too sexy maybe... haha! :punk1:

• 2 months later...
Guest redhood

Hi,

I have the same feelings on the steering as well. may i know anyway to improve it please? thanks

Can try the cars above n see what the have done n compare.

Actually, in recent months, I have come to enjoy the soft handling of the SLK. While it does not give u razor sharp feedback, when driven hard, it does feel sure-footed. At the same time, I appreciate the soft ride on our less than perfect roads.