• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

parking on slope

Guest woofie

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is it alright to constantly park on slope? will that affect the suspension?

there should not be a problem if u PULL UR HANDBRAKE UP TO THE MAX.

when u put to neutral and the car doesnt move, ur handbrake takes all the weight.

when u put to Park and handbrake off, your gearbox takes all the weight.

most merc are 1.7tons onwards some maxing out 2.5tons...

for parking on a slope, my 2 cents is, move the gear shift to neutral, pull the hand brake up to max, den move the gearshift to park, before releasing ur brakes. my reason for moving gear to neutral first is when u are at D, engine may be pushing ur car forward, resulting in a bigger jerk when u change u park later on.

is it alright to constantly park on slope? will that affect the suspension?

there should not be a problem if u PULL UR HANDBRAKE UP TO THE MAX.

when u put to neutral and the car doesnt move, ur handbrake takes all the weight.

when u put to Park and handbrake off, your gearbox takes all the weight.

most merc are 1.7tons onwards some maxing out 2.5tons...

for parking on a slope, my 2 cents is, move the gear shift to neutral, pull the hand brake up to max, den move the gearshift to park, before releasing ur brakes. my reason for moving gear to neutral first is when u are at D, engine may be pushing ur car forward, resulting in a bigger jerk when u change u park later on.

i do this on slope, put to N, pull handbrake/footbrake untill the car stop rolling, pull more for safety reason, then put to P and erm... park..

i do this on slope, put to N, pull handbrake/footbrake untill the car stop rolling, pull more for safety reason, then put to P and erm... park..

but leaving all the weight on the handbrake alone, im not sure if its good. esp on steep slope. cuz i release brake only when gear in park and handbrake max - so that the weight of the car is distributed through both methods in the car.

but leaving all the weight on the handbrake alone, im not sure if its good. esp on steep slope. cuz i release brake only when gear in park and handbrake max - so that the weight of the car is distributed through both methods in the car.

The handbrakes will not have anything wrong,

that is it -->Purpose<--(STOPPING a car from rolling) but gearbox is not

putting stress on the gearbox is a big NONO, its expensive!!! :death:

what u did is ok as it got little stress on it BUT let say by 300,000km, ur gearbox will have premature wear as mine is still running strong

maybe by 2-3 yrs while parking on a steep slope EVERYDAY pulling it to the MAXIMUM, the tension will be loose.... which is only a quick fix of retighten or replacing the lines

Guest redhood

what u did is ok as it got little stress on it BUT let say by 300,000km, ur gearbox will have premature wear as mine is still running strong

maybe by 2-3 yrs while parking on a steep slope EVERYDAY pulling it to the MAXIMUM, the tension will be loose.... which is only a quick fix of retighten or replacing the lines

brudder, you just said your gearbox kaput liao! either your car 300,000km liao or you have been parking your gearbox on a slope all this time! :tazzie:

thank you guys for the info..

i will take note on that, i have to park on slope coz that's the only area i can park at work.. :-\

looks like i have to look for else where to park...

brudder, you just said your gearbox kaput liao! either your car 300,000km liao or you have been parking your gearbox on a slope all this time! :tazzie:

both of ours is kaput, hehe, mine is kaput from... other activities...