• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

8 valve or 16 valve w124?

Guest mr w124

Guest mr w124

Hi. i'm thinking of buying a w124. Would just like some opinions on which model to get. Anyone here knows the pros n cons of the 8 and 16 valve models? i heard that the 16 valve is more expensive to maintain because the parts are different. Any truth in this? all info will be greatly welcomed. Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. i'm thinking of buying a w124. Would just like some opinions on which model to get. Anyone here knows the pros n cons of the 8 and 16 valve models? i heard that the 16 valve is more expensive to maintain because the parts are different. Any truth in this? all info will be greatly welcomed. Thanks.

u r quite right abt 16v slight x to maintain.

here's my view of the both

16V got better FC & power than 8V

16V has a higher chances of getting over heat and the throttle valve is more X that 8V

8V thorque response seems faster than 16V (my own view)

if u want 16V, try best to look for actual Masterpiece version, cos, this version has better electronics and most issues had been sorted out.

for 8V, must look for 91 to 92 version

Thanks for the info. so masterpiece is post 94 models right? how much would a throttle body cost for the 16 valve?

yup masterpiece is post 94, have to look for real masterpiece, there are are lots of fake masterpiece..

throttle body heard was abt $2k upwards.. not really sure of the price

Guest pipn8ez

Wiring loom for 93-95 facelifted models constructed using recycled material and has a tendency to literally fall apart when exposed to the engine bay heat + humid local weather.

Guest kepiting1sg

I used to drive a 1991 8V W124 and my younger brother is still driving his 1993 16V W124.

IMHO,

It's very "affordable" to maintain a W124 be it 8V or 16V.

Parts are generally cheaper than compare to Jap cars.

Trottle response, pull, power or whatever you want to call it, the 16V is much more responsive and a joy to drive over the 8V. For me I will take the 16V any time.

Overheating problem in W124 whether 8V or 16V has it fair share of problem with the different faulty temperature sensors, leaking water pump, leaking water hose, leaking radiator and the something problematic multi-speed electric fan.

Slow gear change due to wear & tear of the automatic clutch is another common problem found in 8V or 16V W124.

My younger brother has been driving his 16V > 4 years and currently has no problem with overheating.

My advice is to look for a 16V and if the Masterpiece (1995) is within your budget, that will be a good choice, if not take any 16V.

When test driving the car, drive it long enough and look out for overheating After test drive, let the car idle for 10 to 15 minutes and check the engine temperature (not more than 90 deg. C) and the electric fan should be running at full speed with a very loud whirling sound and cutting on & off to maintain constant engine temp.

Look out for slow gear change which is a sign of automatic clutch wear.

Overhauling of the automatic gear box outside C & C will be in the region of S$2K plus.

Other problems like any "old car" will be brake wear, worn ball joints, worn wheel bearings, etc., These problem are "cheap" to resolve and dun cost an arm or leg.

Look for reliable W124 mechanics in Malaysia, there are many and charges are low. If you can't find any, there's always MBM WheelPower in Sin Min Drive.

Good Luck!

Oh Yes! When checking the doors, make sure you really slam it hard to close them. ;D

Guest kepiting1sg

wow Unker Batam ... when I need to go buy one of them, can go with me and test for me ?

I buy you kopi-kau-kau .. okie ? :P

Kopi kau kau bad for a person like me who has suffered 3 mild strokes. ;D

I can always help if I am in town. :)

Disclaimer: My apologies if my humble personal opinion do not go well with W124 8V owners. When I owned the 8V W124 and had the chance to drive my younger bro's 16V, I always wanted to kick myself. :(

Guest Raskie

Kopi kau kau bad for a person like me who has suffered 3 mild strokes. ;D

I can always help if I am in town. :)

Thanks for offer ... will look you up when the time is ripe !!

Can go starbucks, drink de-caff and enjoy some eye-candies too ;D

Guest millionmilebenz

Disclaimer: My apologies if my humble personal opinion do not go well with W124 8V owners. When I owned the 8V W124 and had the chance to drive my younger bro's 16V, I always wanted to kick myself. :(

Hi Unker Batam! No offence taken lah! Thanks for the great info that even a W124 owner like me finds useful. My dad drives a facelifted '90 230E (8V) and the additional engine capacity makes quite a difference compared to 8V 2000cc. Have not tried a 16V so can't really compare. I was looking for 16V E220 Masterpiece before I got the W126.

Anyway, compared to my lumbering W126, even the 8V 230E feels like a rocket, hahaha!