• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Left sharp turn, some muted clonking sounds

JFCC

Hi there

Sending car in for service next Wed but curious for now to find out what is the cause. When I make a sharper left turn, I can hear some clonking sound ( ala some loose items knocking into each other) coming from the undercarriage at  the right front side ( I think!). Right turn seems ok. Occasionally when I brake harder I can hear the same sound but slightly more muted. Anyone has this experience before or know what cld possibly be the issue. Appreciate any comments or feedback. Car is 2013 W221 with 13K M thusfar. Thanks so much and cheers

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Re the knocking noise I mentioned earlier, just to update ( a bit late!!) and note a new issue. C&C did a good test runs to hear the noises. Outcome of further test indicates that both the the air struts at the front need to be changed. This solved the issue which was great. 

As of late thought when I travel over a rougher surfaces I can hear " muted clocking sound" on the right front door. Cant figure it out? Has anyone experienced this before? Mileage is know some close to 15K!, A little disappointed with this new development.  Thanks for any feedback. Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately the clonking sound ( again from the front) is back. Back in June it was diagnosed as air strut issues. Upon replacement of both the front strut, the issue was resolved. Now it seems the same problem has re-surfaced.!! Quality related issues on many fronts ( products) seem questionable these days. Just bought an expensive German made vacuum cleaner for home use. Just into 1 day, we need a new replacement. Supposedly made to last 20 yrs..! Learned a lesson..!

• 3 weeks later...

Sent it last week for a check of the clonking sound. C&C thought could be air strut issue again. Got a new set but on test drive and driving it this past week, the clonking sound remains!! We are all wondering what it could be. Another round of check is planned for.

Heard that there were some units out there experiencing the same issue!

• 3 weeks later...

An update of the clonking sound from the front suspension. Thought I drove it for a while after last maintenance to make sure that the issue is resolved. I must say I was quite please with the service level that I have had since the start of the issue. After a further 2 days test, it was determined that the air strut was not the cause of the issue. I understand C&C stripped the front suspension and reinstalled with the same strut ( the second new one). They did a considerable test ran themselves and the noise issue was resolved. Apparently installation could be the issue rather then any part related ones. It was not so clear though what triggered the first clonking sound that we had. Perhaps some parts was not tightened in a proper way (noise stated about 12K+) from new??. Anyway thus far problem seems to have gone away. Hope so anyhow! Cheers