• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Any bros in business here?

zjared

Of course, you may have your beliefs that technology will fail and there are failover systems to counter this unless the whole world failed. I think it is easier to get your whole company fall sick at the same time. I'm not trying to convince anyone here. Think about it, is our merc built by hand or technology? Why is German technology so famous? Precision.

Actually from what I analysis, the government is trying to get companies to automate those mundane jobs, jobs that can be automated. People get re-training to fit into better jobs, thus getting better pays. As the society progresses, those mundane jobs are hardly attractive.

If we allow too many foreigners to come in to fill in this gap, people start complaining. If we don't, the bosses start complaining. I'm sure the bosses here will agree, manpower is difficult to get, cheap labors are no longer cheap. I remember my receptionist only cost me $900 many years ago, now it cost me close to double for someone to answer the phone.

In construction industry, they come out with pre-cast technology to get down the manpower and time. In food industry, there are robotics to help with simple cooking.

Even for pre-cast, you still need to have a huge factory, employ logistics, and in the end it's still the FT building the pre-cast. Which Singaporean will say yes to a job pouring concrete? At the construction site, you still need FT to set the pre-cast into place. The pros doesn't outweigh the cons. Not everything can be automated.

At the end of the day, yes technology helps but certain jobs still require hands on labour.

Without the foreigners, who the h*ll is gonna build our houses and pave our roads? They increase foreign levy for executives sitting in big offices, I got nothing to say. But for low skilled workers whose jobs no Singaporean wants to do? Come on!

• Like 2

Quite true Mark, they should increase the levy for FT seating in offices, those manual FT workers are definitely needed, as many locals are shunning it a lot...

I'm sure you're facing the same issue with pump attendants.

Not only pump attendants lor, even sales assistant(cashier) its just too difficult to recruit locals, their main reasons is meeting customers which could be their relatives or friends , feel like low class.... haiz... think also the high level of customers demands of service which also scares them.

I will say must increase the levy for the EP holders make it 10 times more expensive.....Return back the levy for WP and S pass holders.......WP and S pass are normally in retail and manual labor job and EP are normally those management staff.....

• Like 1

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

This is an ENORMOUS issue....

Lets NOT dwell into such issues which none of us have any solutions to....lets just talk about how we can mod our rides, pim our rids, go where to eat and get fat....lol

:D :D :D :D

Huat arh.........

• Like 2

Spoon feeding teaches you nothing....but the shape of the spoon...

How deep?  lets make it as deep as the ocean floor?

Mod it deeper?

• Like 1

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Mark, nobody is saying we do not need people to build things. It is about efficiency. Do you spend more time using pre-cast or do you actually need more time? Technology or automation is about efficiency and precision. As much as you are feeling the heat, I do as well.

Normally for businesses, it is reviewing its processes and streamline these processes or to automate as much as possible for more resourceful companies. If your processes cannot be automated or streamlined, so be it. No one will force you to do it.

If anyone haven't notice it, Government is introducing minimum wage very subtlely.

Mark, nobody is saying we do not need people to build things. It is about efficiency. Do you spend more time using pre-cast or do you actually need more time? Technology or automation is about efficiency and precision. As much as you are feeling the heat, I do as well.

Normally for businesses, it is reviewing its processes and streamline these processes or to automate as much as possible for more resourceful companies. If your processes cannot be automated or streamlined, so be it. No one will force you to do it.

If anyone haven't notice it, Government is introducing minimum wage very subtlely.

All we're saying is not all automation is good. Still gotta weigh the pros and cons. Using pre-cast can be beneficial in another country, but here in Singapore? Amongst a few cons we face here in Singapore, firstly land cost is extremely expensive compared to countries like the US. Secondly skilled labour is even more expensive compared to unskilled. Thirdly, machinery cost and cost of maintenance. Think about it, if the building cost goes up, who in the end is paying for it?

How many times have you called a help desk and an automated system answers with voice recognition, which doesn't recognize what you're saying? You mentioned you own a college, will students still enroll if a computer started teaching the class? How about automated ticketing machines that crashes when there's high demand? Or the points that Odessus and Ah San mentioned? Some jobs still need a human touch.

Automation in business can be a very debatable subject with no correct answer. My biggest issue now is not with automation. It's about companies abusing the PIC grant, which is funded by tax payers. If there's a real need, then by all means. But as mentioned many times more often than not, companies are abusing it. I've even come across companies offering paper work services so that the grant can be obtained and split. That's just not right.

Same sentiments:

I'm not so sure if companies are now seeing the need to slim down but rather attracted to the cash bonus from PIC.

I doing optical retail and effectively self employed alongside with my business partner. Firstly, for such trade, we need to employ either opticians or optometrists whose pay ain't exactly cheap. Secondly, being a service industry, it ain't easy to find people with good people skill. Those that are good are usually being held on tightly by their bosses.

With rent being so expensive, sometimes I wonder how do some of the shops survive.....

If you feel this is a major concern and if you come across someone abusing it, IRAS is just a phone call away. If you choose not to do something about it, then I can't see the point in raising this concern.

For me I won't make my life difficult by feeling upset, if someone wants to take advantage of it, that is pure stupidity because this is really a time to "mod" your company to a higher specs to perform more efficiently. If both of us are competitors and you are just taking "advantage" it and I'll be just glad because I'll be doing a full "modification" to outperform you. Especially during "upslope" time I will overtake you.

I can't tell you how popular E learning is, in overseas. Like I mention, not all processes can be streamline or automated. If you keep thinking it cannot be done, it will not be done. Even in fish farming, I managed to automate some processes.

Just saying. Over reliance of technology also increases risk of catastrophic disasters when these technologies fail. You'll need all your employees to fall sick together to experience the same.

or workers on strike.....

I read in news: Teachers on Strike...OMG...

off topic liao.

Lets get back to topic..... :thumbsu:

It's is a preamp proved item eg computer, it,s fairly simple and straight forward. If it is an item yet to be approved, then to to justify how it will improve productivity.

Alternatively you can ask some companies to assist with the claiming but likely will set u back by a princely sum for what is fairly simple work.

Google pic claim form

Hear from some friends from agency, they will be going to those who took this grant to check if the grant actually help or just "ghosted".....go figure.......

Spoon feeding teaches you nothing....but the shape of the spoon...

I got check during application. It's a simple check to ensure you have implemented and use the product. If you haven't, just tell them no and reason. Nothing to hide actually and nothing scary about it. They are after the process. Okay, unless you did something hanky panky.