• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Does smartphones GPS work without any network

daffy

First of all, this is not a post-clocking thread.

Just wanna ask if our smartphones work without a SIM card? Or rather, is there any Navi app out there which does not require network...planning for my NZ road trip la....any advise? Trying my luck.

And...my zipper, still stuck.

You're dethpicable. 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean work without data roaming/internet?

If yes, then the answer is yes. I am using co-pilot navigation app for iPhone. It's very good but you must download entire map onto your phone memory to use it. I use it regularly in USA without data roaming. It has a 1 month trial after that you will need to pay.

The phone should still be able to receive a GPS signal even if there is no data connectivity (3G, 4G, Wifi, etc.). Both systems are not reliant on each other to function. As DH1967 mentioned Google maps does require data connectivity. This is because the maps are downloaded "live" to your phone. Google maps will still know where you are but it'll be unable to load the map of your position without data connectivity. However Google's method of streaming the map saves memory space on your phone.

On the other hand, navigational apps such as Garmin, Sygic, Papago! preload maps onto your phone. You don't need any data connectivity for the app to function as the maps are already in your phone. Down side is, the maps can take up quite a lot of space on your phone. It works the same way as the portable GPS device that you can buy from the IT shops.

Hi Daffy,

Do you own a garmin GPS? If yes, one of your solution is to rent the NZ map @ $2/day. This option is much cheaper than what car rental companies charge for the rental of the GPS unit (approx. $50-70/day)

1) You'll need to have a garmin GPS.
2) Garmin GPS are sold under two distributors - NaviCom & Oceantalk. However, only Navicom provides such a service. Trace your warranty card to see which distributor you bought from. Alternatively, give them your s/n over the phone and they can do the tracking for you.

I would advise you to go down to one of NaviCom's outlet (either Orchard Central or Paya Ubi Industrial Park) to find out more about this scheme.

First of all, this is not a post-clocking thread.

Just wanna ask if our smartphones work without a SIM card? Or rather, is there any Navi app out there which does not require network...planning for my NZ road trip la....any advise? Trying my luck.

And...my zipper, still stuck.

can.. gps work stand-alone. it can work without network..

if network is present, it will speed up the locating of ur current position. A-Gps. (assisted-Gps)

and also, true that one of the bro spoken... must have maps/apps that is stored in ur phone, not stream into ur phone....

New Zealand map for Garmin is absoluty free. Open source map even in the website it condemning people charging money for NZ map to their garmin device.

I was self driving last year using this free map. Search with google if you can't find it I can send you my copy.

I tried that, had problem with compatibility cos I am using mac...me a PC idiot

Bro I am also Apple fan boy using PC only in the office. If you want it pm me I already extract the file, just need to copy to root directory in Garmin folder can be done in Apple.