• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Xenon Bulb ?

Guest daywalker

• 5 months later...

Digging up an old thread for a few questions popping up my mind. Appreciate it if any bro here can enlighten.

Intend to order w204 with the Bi-Xenon option. Understand that default color temperature is 4300K. But I find it personally to be a little on the yellow side. Would prefer it to be 5000K or 6000K. And I understand it uses the D1S type that comes with the holders that includes the igniters.

1. If I change the Xenon bulbs to 5000/6000K types, do I need to break the seal? Or just turn the casing as illustrated on the link above to change the bulbs? Better if it is the latter option as I do not need to worry about water/moist seepage into the housing.

2. What if I decide to save money first when I order W204. Can I go back to C&C to install this Bi-Xenon option later on? Worry if need additional or extensive rewiring some 6 months to a year down the road. Furtermore, it is a factory option.

3. For bros who have installed the 5000/6000K bulbs, can you please PM me as to how much and where you did the installation.

Many thanks.

Guest Cklasse

My car is a W203 and I installed the xenon after driving the car for 2 years. The light leveling function cannot be used after this installation because it is a different mechanism for the halogen and xenon (for W203). If the W204 is the same, then get it factory fitted.

6000k bulb is nicer than 4000k and it will pass the VICOM inspection.

Guest NewC180

I have installed a after market Philips HID on my W204 recently. Installation was done in less than an hour, and there's no extensive wirings/cuttings etc. No warning lights as well, and the lights levelling works fine too. So far so good didn't give me any problems.

Cost was about $500 if I remember correctly.

Thank you NewC180 and Cklasse for your answers to my queries. Really appreciate the effort.

Further questions. If you guys are in my position who want a Bi-Xenon setup but a 6000K color (factory default 4300K), what would you do? Install aftermarket like what bro NewC180 did or go original C&C factory installation (its a $3.8K option) for headlight only and later change bulbs, which is not cheap as well. I would love to have a whole light setup eventually (Front- Headlights, Eyelids and fogs, Rear- License plate and reverse) in 6000K white. Or 5000K. Should I just go aftermarket instead?

By the way, if I do go original option with C&C, is it legal with LTA to change the color from 4300K to 6000K?

Guest Cklasse

I just went for the inspection for road tax renewal with a 6000k xenon light, it passed without any problem.

A pair of Philips xenon 6000k light bulb is about $400. Since the W204 comes with a projection lens light assembly, you want to explore the after market HID setup since $3.8k is a lot of difference to the $500 HID. Got to speak with NewC180 for more details since an original xenon light assembly has its ballast nicely fitted to the light housing.

Guest Protoss

OKOK. Paging for NewC180. You have PM.

On a touchy note, is the aftermarket HID LTA approved?

Nope. Aftermarket HID retrofited onto non hid/xenon cars isn't approve by LTA.

There are some bright white halogens bulbs from Philips that is approve by LTA.

Guest NewC180

Aftermarket HID is not approved, and passing inspection is based on 'luck'. If suay suay cannot pass, just go and take out the HID and go for inspection again, after inspection fix it back again since it is relatively easy.

The aftermarket HID I've installed fitted nicely with no extensive drilling etc. The only thing is that the installer will need to cut a small hole on the cap covering the bulb for the wirings to go through it, nothing big deal though. All in all, I'm happy with it on the brightness, look, installation, and cheap price!

I have ordered some LED bulbs for the eyelids and number plates through ebay europe, and they are arriving pretty soon. Can show you the whole setup sometime next week. Again, approval for these lights are based on luck again. And like I said, the most take them out during inspection lor.

Guest nismo502

I have installed a after market Philips HID on my W204 recently. Installation was done in less than an hour, and there's no extensive wirings/cuttings etc. No warning lights as well, and the lights levelling works fine too. So far so good didn't give me any problems.

Cost was about $500 if I remember correctly.

May I know where you got it installed?

Has anyone with W203 installed aftermarket HID without "warning" light?

Guest NewC180

nismo502 ]

I have installed a after market Philips HID on my W204 recently. Installation was done in less than an hour, and there' wrote:

May I know where you got it installed?

Has anyone with W203 installed aftermarket HID without "warning" light?

I've installed mine at this shop near where the Macpherson hawker centre used to be, very near to Potong Pasir MRT station:

Ong Hock Chye Trading

Address: 22C Upper Serangoon Rd Singapore 347632

Telephone: 62877363

It is a shop that does audio, reverse sensors etc etc. I've fixed aftermarket HID on my previous car with them before, so went back again to them this time.

Just a note, I'm not related to them in any way.

I got my C180 with Bi-Xenon headlights. Other than the HID lights, it also comes with headlight washer, rear signal light cluster is led type. The only thing I 'm not used to is the fog light lgihts up on the side which you trun or signal, meaning 1 side of the fog lights up only. I keep getting people who tells me that my foggies not working properly.

I got a pair of replacement 6000k D1S Phillibulb from KBS but changed to 8000k (ordered trough internet) a week later. Prefer the bluish white.

Guest daywalker

The only thing I 'm not used to is the fog light lgihts up on the side which you trun or signal, meaning 1 side of the fog lights up only. I keep getting people who tells me that my foggies not working properly.

I got a pair of replacement 6000k D1S Phillibulb from KBS but changed to 8000k (ordered trough internet) a week later. Prefer the bluish white.

I get similar comments :banghead: but I cant bear to turn off the Intelligent Light function...so live with it loh :surrender:

BTW, I have also changed bulbs to 8000k and they :punk1:

I got my C180 with Bi-Xenon headlights. Other than the HID lights, it also comes with headlight washer, rear signal light cluster is led type. The only thing I 'm not used to is the fog light lgihts up on the side which you trun or signal, meaning 1 side of the fog lights up only. I keep getting people who tells me that my foggies not working properly.

Bro, can i know how much you had paid for the bulb(6000k) ? Can it fix into the Xenon ? Cos i was told that the bulb are diff for xenon. If can fix in mine, wont mind taking over from you the 6000k bulb.

9339 ]

I got my C180 with Bi-Xenon headlights. Other than the HID lights, it also comes with headlight washer, rear signal light cluster is led type. The only thing I ' wrote:

Bro, can i know how much you had paid for the bulb(6000k) ? Can it fix into the Xenon ? Cos i was told that the bulb are diff for xenon. If can fix in mine, wont mind taking over from you the 6000k bulb.

I got e Phillips bulb for $500.00 per pair, used for a week. Sms me at 97683737 if interested.

Guest Cklasse

Xenon bulb is longer than halogen and very fragile due to the long glass tube. Be careful when removing from housing. I broke mine and this carelessness cost me $200 ($400 per pair).