• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W221 - Recurring problem: Noise when driving for 30 minutes

s7000

Hi, I am driving a 08 W221.

I have this problem. After driving for around 30 minutes, the car will make some "clunking" noise when going over small bump or turning.

I had the mechanics went through the all the metal and iron stuffs at the front and back. After fixing it, the problem is back after 2 to 3 months.

I went through this 3 rounds for the last 10 months.

Anyone have similar problem? or know which mechanic to fix this for good?

This is a PI car, cannot go back to C&C.

Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Round Motor. The boss is ex CnC Tech. will be able to assist you

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Yes

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi S7000,

Did you manage to solve your problem? I seem to suffer the same problem but not sure it's after 30 minutes of driving. Some 'plastic clunking' sound when going over raise surface, turning and barking too. However, the mechanic did not find any fault both time I send my car in for other matters. I am just ignoring the noise at the moment.

Regards

Hi, I am driving a 08 W221.

I have this problem. After driving for around 30 minutes, the car will make some "clunking" noise when going over small bump or turning.

I had the mechanics went through the all the metal and iron stuffs at the front and back. After fixing it, the problem is back after 2 to 3 months.

I went through this 3 rounds for the last 10 months.

Anyone have similar problem? or know which mechanic to fix this for good?

This is a PI car, cannot go back to C&C.

Thanks

I still have the clunking sound problem. But don't understand why the problem start only after around 30 minutes of driving.

The last mechanic i tried was Yu Yi at Dunearn Road. The problem was fixed but back again 2 months later.

I am still looking for recommendation to fix it permanently.

Hi S7000,

Do you have any problem after applying brakes? I notice sometime the sound do come after I brake. Lately, the sound seems to fade away (or I did not pay attention) after I did my servicing 2 weeks ago and I ask them to roatate the tyres. I will take note if the sound still comes back. Btw, I use Chip Soon located at Tampines St 93. Maybe you can give them a try. Both Daniel and Jason are very nice guy.

What we had been talking is purely guessing as we may not be talking about the same thing. You definitely need a good 'doctor' to solve your problem.

Anyway, for my case, I think the problem still persist but had lessen as I heard the noise again this evening while on my way home. I am not going to treat it at the moment unless I feel that it had worsen.

Hope you can resolve yours soon.

Btw, just for sharing. My previous W220 had ignition problem as it dies after refilling. The mechanic was not able to find the fault until I voice my opinion that this problem seems to be fuel pump related as it is identical to my first encounter when the fuel pump was faulty. They then replace the fuel filter again and during inspection, they found oil around the filter which should not be the case. I was being advice not to pump too full during each refill. After that the car performs without any further fault.

I do understand from the guy that bought my drive this fault did come back again. Maybe he did not heed my advice of not pumping to the max. Anyway, it is a really tedious and lengthy exercise for detecting the exact fault for me. As we are driving the car everyday and they merely base on our feedback and trial and error, it will not be easy to pinpoint every fault we complain. Sometime, we just have to live with it.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my recurring noise problem.

Managed to solve the problem.

Took bro Takashi Kazumi advise. Went to Round Motor. After some checking, they were confident that the problem was due to the front lower arms.

Although they were quite new but they are not original parts. The mechanic insisted to use original parts for the lower arms.

Changed to original parts, and problem solved.

As the mechanic said, S-Class is quite sensitive, certain parts must be original as the quality of the non originals are not good enough. And lower arm is one of them.

Credit to Round motor.

haha thats good. The guy who work on your car should be Kuan.

Only this guys service S-Class the rest works on E and C class.

Update on my recurring noise problem.

Managed to solve the problem.

Took bro Takashi Kazumi advise. Went to Round Motor. After some checking, they were confident that the problem was due to the front lower arms.

Although they were quite new but they are not original parts. The mechanic insisted to use original parts for the lower arms.

Changed to original parts, and problem solved.

As the mechanic said, S-Class is quite sensitive, certain parts must be original as the quality of the non originals are not good enough. And lower arm is one of them.

Credit to Round motor.

Btw, just for sharing. My previous W220 had ignition problem as it dies after refilling. The mechanic was not able to find the fault until I voice my opinion that this problem seems to be fuel pump related as it is identical to my first encounter when the fuel pump was faulty. They then replace the fuel filter again and during inspection, they found oil around the filter which should not be the case. I was being advice not to pump too full during each refill. After that the car performs without any further fault.

I do understand from the guy that bought my drive this fault did come back again. Maybe he did not heed my advice of not pumping to the max. Anyway, it is a really tedious and lengthy exercise for detecting the exact fault for me. As we are driving the car everyday and they merely base on our feedback and trial and error, it will not be easy to pinpoint every fault we complain. Sometime, we just have to live with it.

Cheers

Thanks for the info.

During refilling, do you all notice that we can top up large amount (around 10L) after the pump automatically cut off.

I like to fill to the brim to have maximum mileage per petrol tank (if not to the brim, unable to get range of 900-1000km).

Maybe i should avoid doing this to prevent damaging the fuel filter, thanks again.

I cant get more than 700km per tank on my W220

Yes, my previous 2006 221 also can get at least 600km per full tank.

My current 2012 model slightly better, abt 700 to 800 (if lots of city driving/heavy acceleration).

Pls note that my is base model 300 only, heard the S350 CGI model gives better mileage.

With highway, its 900 plus to 1K.

My record is 1300km, mainly leisure cruise control along NS highway, only 2 persons on board with minimum luggage.

Tyres - stick to stock 255/45 18.

Also i prefer to hyperinflate 42-44 psi (when cold).

and try to service at C&C always with their original parts, safer in my opinion.

Lastly, quite often, i off the climate control, prefer the panoramic roof fully open (unless highway speed).

I am using mainly shell 98 but still cant get more than 650km per tank when drive in Singapore.

When drive to KL it is slightly better, around 800+km / tank and not more than that.

For 1,300 / tank, how can I achieve that?

For tyre pressure, you have 42psi, what is the standard recommended for your car?

i think I will try to hyper-inflate mine to 42 too.

Cruising at 110km/hr is effortless, such that drowsines set in hehe.

Did not capture the 1300km record achieved recently.

Remember that our tank can filled up to 90L, need to top up manually after auto cut off.

From full to 3/4 tank, can travel at least 200km, sometimes 300km, enough "savings" to cross over to JB to fill up.