• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

More sensationalist journalism

Ricebandit

http://ride.asiaone.com/features/opinion/story/woman-driver-holds-traffic-then-shouts-biker-telling-her-hurry

Sometimes I wonder how this sort of drivel even makes the news.. must be nothing else happening in SG other than LKY's birthday..

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

Henry A. Kissinger

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think it's fair to comment if we're not present and know the entire situation or circumstance. Could be the lady driver being an ass or impatient people behind her... It's a busy service road and queue builds up relatively fast due to the double parking and small lanes...

haha..I think stereotyping is not just a Singaporean thing, it's more like human nature.

it's a fundamental attribution error - people tend to link behavior with the person, rather than consider the context of what could have caused such a behavior.

see ah.. if it's, say, a chery QQ that held up the traffic, people will think :drive QQ still want to be so yaya.

if it's a lamborghini, people will think: wa drive lambo means can act so ya ya meh.

and the headline itself...why is the emphasis on 'woman driver'? 'Driver holds up traffic' would have sufficed. Man or woman, such incidents happen all the time..

anyways, i think the standard of local journalism has declined down through the years...

The agencies don't bother, they'll put whatever headline and write the content in a way to attract the most readers. Point proven. Here we are discussing about it, which proves their journalism style "works" in a way. No such thing as bad press? Just good sense in marketing, as long as it attracts readers, and brings in advertising profits. In today's world, its all about the money!

Not sure, but 1 thing I am sure....their spelling and grammer suck big time.....

*Grammar  :geek:  haha sorry man couldn't resist :P

but back on topic.. I know a newspapers main job is to sell newspapers first and maybe tell the news second, but I kind of expect a person who writes for a living to maintain some sort of professional ethic with regards to content and construct. But then again maybe that's expecting too much?

I suppose "Car temporarily holds up traffic on Serangoon Road" doesn't have quite the same impact!

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

Henry A. Kissinger