• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Petrol

Guest Raskie

Guest Raskie

Have been using Shell95 for a couple of years and it has been great. Recently switch to Caltex95 and suddenly the car feels very 'rough' and the engine 'jerks' more .. hmmm ... tried Caltex98 and everything went back to 'normal' ...

anyone has this experience ? be it from Caletx to Shell or any other brands for that matter ?

???

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ronkovic

In one of my previous cars, I tried Mobil95 after sticking with SPC95, and there was a huge difference in which the engine ran smoother, faster acceleration and could run on a higher mileage (+/- 30 to 35kms). SPC made the car feel more 'rough'. Stuck with Mobil 95 for the next car, and it was equally good, until I pumped Shell V-Power. V-power gave more smoother and seemingly better throttle feel, no difference in mileage. So I stuck with it till now, did try Caltex 95 and 97 (in JB), but no match for Mobil95 and definitely no match for V-Power.

For my family W211, have used Caltex Vortex Platinum in the car all the way until one day decided to try out V-Power. Both were more or less similar, but somehow, the V-Power stands out slightly.

BTW, just a disclaimer, I don't work for ExxonMobil or Shell. :P

Just my observations.

Guest Raskie

Yeah - no doubt abt the premium end of each petrol coy's offering .. just comparing 95 to 95 ... hmmm ...

maybe shd try to pump Caltex 95 for the next 2 to 3 run and observe ...

Guest sirBenz

kel

did u experience engine knock when using petrol from sg or jb? mine ride a bit strange will knock with vpower(jb) but will run fine with esso97(jb) and spc98(sg).

my ride W124 8V, W124 bros pls comment.

Guest Raskie

when i had my Volvo, used to pump Shell V-power for my run to/fro KL and Penang .. no problem .. very smooth and mileage quite good.

but i know when i pump 98/95 after the Vpower, the engine seems a little 'retard' and only after another fuel-up (with 98/95), it gets normal.

;)

kel

did u experience engine knock when using petrol from sg or jb? mine ride a bit strange will knock with vpower(jb) but will run fine with esso97(jb) and spc98(sg).

my ride W124 8V, W124 bros pls comment.

i did felt strange when i used vpower(jb) once, like jeaking for awhile, possible vpower got some additives that was trying to clear some carbon in our system hence that eng knock?? so after that time, I switch back to esso/mobil F1(97- JB) whenever i'm in JB.. in Sg now use caltex silver(95).. save $$ :laugh: :laugh:

actually we (W124 bros)can use the even lower grade 92! that's what my mech say.. but what he told me, is that if i wana put in 92, i will have to tune my eng slightly higher so that carbon won't get choke..

Guest sirBenz

we can run on 92Ron but need to retard the timing by 5-10 degrees..this will rob all the power and car will super sluggish.

abt the engine knock, i did DIY decarbonizing so far the engine knock have reduce quite a bit. (touch wood)

Guest millionmilebenz

Hi all! Given that I drive a real petrol-holic (W126), I've been feeding SPC 95 to that car as I get the most discounts on it. I've always felt that the performance is sluggish, so after reading the earlier posts on this thread, I switched to Shell 95 to test the mileage and performance.

So far (after 1 tank), performance about the same, but I got around ~10% improvement in mileage! My driving pattern is very similar from week-to-week so I'm quite willing to put it down to the petrol additives as the main effect. Will update this thread after further tests!

Guest millionmilebenz

hmmm why not all of us try in this July Driveaway to Malacca, drive up with real full tank, see our FCs how???

Great idea! ::) Perhaps we can even have a prize for the most fuel-efficient driver. Anyway I think I stand no chance... :-[

Guest Raskie

So far (after 1 tank), performance about the same, but I got around ~10% improvement in mileage! My driving pattern is very similar from week-to-week so I'm quite willing to put it down to the petrol additives as the main effect. Will update this thread after further tests!

Yes, I feel that Shell gives best mileage (at least in my years of driving) ... i changed to Caltex becos OCBC no longer has discounts there :(

mobil is my second choice and caltex/esso a very distant 3rd ... but now that Esso and Mobil are one... not sure if they are the same ...

never tried spc though ::)

Guest Raskie

update ... just had my 3rd taknful of Caltex95 ... the engine seems almost back to normal .. still a little jerky here and there ...

seems 're-learning' takes place ... if it happens !!! ???

now is finding where Caltex stations are whenever I need them ... unlike Shell/Mobil/Esso, seems to be everywhere ...

Guest millionmilebenz

update ... just had my 3rd taknful of Caltex95 ... the engine seems almost back to normal .. still a little jerky here and there ...

seems 're-learning' takes place ... if it happens !!! ???

now is finding where Caltex stations are whenever I need them ... unlike Shell/Mobil/Esso, seems to be everywhere ...

Hi Raskie! If you have HSBC card, can claim their points for free petrol at Caltex!

Guest Raskie

Me using OCBC too, been with them for years and like their service and rewards prog .. thus have no choice but to switch from Shell to Caltex .. hate UOB card ... their rewards prog sucks ...

Prob with Caltex is that they dun have that many stations ... esp when u're short on fuel ...

OCBC gets 10% from Caltex ...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dashy

Hi all, I'm using Citibank Plat Dividend Card got 5% rebate at any petrol stations any brand. No points, get a cheque every 2 mths. I'm currently using Shell 95....

SPC 95 is the worst petrol ever used, topped up my last car cos running almost the last drop and cannot find Shell, saw SPC and went to refill.

While Driving on the ECP, the car felt so sluggish to the extend that I thought I had a flat. Stopped at the emergency lane and check my tyre, everything ok. Top up full tank with shell everything get normal.

Me using OCBC too, been with them for years and like their service and rewards prog .. thus have no choice but to switch from Shell to Caltex .. hate UOB card ... their rewards prog sucks ...

Prob with Caltex is that they dun have that many stations ... esp when u're short on fuel ...

OCBC gets 10% from Caltex ...