• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

noisy B170

Guest angela

Guest angela

Hi,I just went to test drive the B170 last sunday. i find it to be rather noisy. Am suspecting its due to the 17" tyres as it got louder when i accelerate. My family were sitting behind and they din quite like it as the noise is giving them a headache. Any one has similar experience?

Guest 777kenny

Hi,I just went to test drive the B170 last sunday. i find it to be rather noisy. Am suspecting its due to the 17" tyres as it got louder when i accelerate. My family were sitting behind and they din quite like it as the noise is giving them a headache. Any one has similar experience?

Hi there...

You must have come from a Lexus LS...that's why the B is rather noisy...hehe (just kidding) :tongue1:

Well...the stock ContiSportContact2 tyres are indeed a little noisy...but grip is good. For me, I have changed to 18" with Korean brand tyre...little quieter, but More confortable than before.

The engine also tends to be quite loud if rev above 2500rpm...at cruise 90km/h at 1800 rpm the engine is quiet except the tyre roar.

My experience.

Not only due to tyre noise, its also because it is a hatchback. Most Hatchback is more noisy then saloon type cars. Cause behind the back seat is usually unblock for u to fold down and make more boot space. So u actually get all 4 tyre noise coming in to your interior with less resistance.

Guest angela

Hi there...

You must have come from a Lexus LS...that's why the B is rather noisy...hehe (just kidding) :tongue1:

Well...the stock ContiSportContact2 tyres are indeed a little noisy...but grip is good. For me, I have changed to 18" with Korean brand tyre...little quieter, but More confortable than before.

The engine also tends to be quite loud if rev above 2500rpm...at cruise 90km/h at 1800 rpm the engine is quiet except the tyre roar.

hahaha thats a good one bro :thumbsup:. if only i have a lexus ls....... :pray: changing tyres wud be a good option

Guest angela

My experience.

Not only due to tyre noise, its also because it is a hatchback. Most Hatchback is more noisy then saloon type cars. Cause behind the back seat is usually unblock for u to fold down and make more boot space. So u actually get all 4 tyre noise coming in to your interior with less resistance.

Hi Nemo, my bro mentioned the same thing u said. do you put things in your boot to insulate the noise? how do you manage to lower the noise level?

My experience.

Hi Nemo, my bro mentioned the same thing u said. do you put things in your boot to insulate the noise? how do you manage to lower the noise level?

Me actually dont mind the sound cause pretty decent for merc, my other hatchback last time even more noise. Me actually take out spare tyre to make car abit lighter but noise slightly louder after that. :banghead: Me no really play ice so this noise level is pretty acceptable.

When I go NS highway and really rev it up even louder... for that long drive i usually just put on my MPS player with noise canceling earphone. ;D

When I go NS highway and really rev it up even louder... for that long drive i usually just put on my MPS player with noise canceling earphone.

NSHW with your earphone on, very dangerous to do that, you cant even hear if your own car giving out funny noise if there is ???..... :pray:

Guest Forsei

Hi,

I dun own a b class, but am kinda interested in it still...like loctorng.

I did test drove the car twice.

And I must say the car is quiet and refined on the move, except for tyre noise. Not sure abt the back, but from front def there. Perhaps it's just so well insulated against most things tt the tyre noise is pretty obvious.

I'm also of the thinking tt it might well be due to the 17inch rims and the CSC2 tyres, which btw also gives the car a rather firm ride.

I did ask whether we could opt for the 16inch rims, but told tt 17inch ones are the 'standard' ones which CnC brings in. Of cos, the 17inch ones look more chio and sporty cf to the 16inch ones.

Not sure if sound proofing the wheel arches, fenders, boot and floor pan will help...

Would have bought the car if the pricing was more competitive...sigh... OMV of 28k or so and selling at 105k now....profit margin way high, and obviously we pay for the brand and the star!

Still hoping for a good deal to come along hehe....

Guest aspade

I can confirm the noise is due to the CSC2. I had a change in the front tires and it made a world of difference. Increasing the tire pressure will decrease the tire noise as well.

Guest Forsei

I can confirm the noise is due to the CSC2. I had a change in the front tires and it made a world of difference. Increasing the tire pressure will decrease the tire noise as well.

What tyres did u change to? PP2?

I tot CSC2 were supposed to be 'quiet' and grippy enough, at least from other car forums...

Guest 777kenny

I tot CSC2 were supposed to be 'quiet' and grippy enough, at least from other car forums...

CSC2 is indeed grippy and quite quiet but ride is firm. In my case, I changed from 215/45R17 CSC2 to 225/40R18 Hankook S1evo...same grip, a bit more quiet, but ride is more comfortable. Only downside is its aquaplanning performance.

Guest Forsei

CSC2 is indeed grippy and quite quiet but ride is firm. In my case, I changed from 215/45R17 CSC2 to 225/40R18 Hankook S1evo...same grip, a bit more quiet, but ride is more comfortable. Only downside is its aquaplanning performance.

Wah bro, 18inch!! Solid lah

As for quiet and grippy tyres, so far I gather it's PP2(quite ex), RE001, Hankook V8. CPC2 s'pposed to be quiet too, but only up to 50 series I think.

Guest aspade

What tyres did u change to? PP2?

Japan-made Eage RevSpec RS2.0 ... No regrets

http://www.sgmerc.com/forum/index.php?topic=1543.0