• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Hi All - Newbie Intro

Guest Ronkovic

Guest Ronkovic

Hi All,

Guess this is my virgin post in this forum.

Recently purchased a 1991 W201 190E and am glad to find that there's a small active community of Merc owners in SG. :) Although my family has had a W210 E200 and currently a W211 E240, I'm really new to the Merc scene as I haven't really played around much with Mercs as my own project car for the last 3 years was a BMW E34 "520i".

Am quite keen to do up the W201 and were wondering if there's any other W201ers here who can share some tips and knowledge on the car. To start off, here's some stuff I'm looking at for the moment:

- The car came with stock 15" rims. Am looking for a set of 17" rims (Not sure if 18"s would be OK? - This would be preferred although I'd reckon it'd make my car run slow like a tank). I like those multi-spoke Carlsson types, or could settle for the big 5 spoke types. Was wondering if anyone has recommendations on where'd be a good place to look for merc rims? What's the sort of size and offset I should look at?

- Are there any brands/options for more sportier suspension sets (i.e. shocks and lowering springs) Do brands like Bilstein, Eibach or Sachs provide kits for W201s? Any lobangs where to look at?

- Who are the main parts stockists for Mercs parts? Does any shop stock up cosmetic accessories for W201s? i.e. bodykits, door sills etc, or would we have to rely on eBay for those?

- Any other tips for improving engine performance on the W201?

Hope to join you guys for kopi and meet-ups soon. Do let me know when!

Thanks for assistance rendered. :)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First welcome to the club!!

your W201 is 1.8 or 2.0??

where is Zan, Digiji & Lyebin?? help your bro here..

anyway our monthy La Kopi/Teh Sessions are always on the Last Sunday of the Month from 5pm onwards at Kallang Carpark H(nearest to KFC)

Guest Ronkovic

Hi Kel,

Thanks for the welcome. I drive a 1.8 W201. Looks like the meet-up is pretty much the same as BMW SG's. ;) Do you guys meet up for normal kopis outside of those times as well?

Glad to know that there's a bunch of W201ers around too. Look forward to your advice and feedback and meeting you guys. :)

Guest Ronkovic

Hmmmm ... no word/sign of any W201ers yet? :(

Hope to hear from the guys soon.

Anyhow, went rim hunting yesterday, managed to find a set of original 18" Carlsson 1/16s. But right now deliberating as to whether to acquire that set as I'm afraid it may greatly slow down my ride, or perhaps I should consider getting the replica Carlssons in 17", which cost only half the price and yet can give a good balance for looks / comfort and slow the ride less. Any feedback/input?

Guest millionmilebenz

Hi Ronkovic!

Just want to extend a warm welcome to you too! I also drive a '91 Merc but not a W201, so I'm afraid I don't have any advise to offer. My ride is on the other end of the size spectrum - a W126, a slow and ponderous tank compared to your pocket rocket, haha!

Nonetheless it's great to have another owner of a early-90's Benz in our midst. IMHO Benz made some of the most lasting cars during those years.

Hmmmm ... no word/sign of any W201ers yet? :(

Hope to hear from the guys soon.

Anyhow, went rim hunting yesterday, managed to find a set of original 18" Carlsson 1/16s. But right now deliberating as to whether to acquire that set as I'm afraid it may greatly slow down my ride, or perhaps I should consider getting the replica Carlssons in 17", which cost only half the price and yet can give a good balance for looks / comfort and slow the ride less. Any feedback/input?

well i think they could be out of town,

but can help u a little bit,

think if u looking for 18" u need to have a wide arch!! and its more heavy, for a 1.8L its even worst...

go for the 17" just nice..

o yah go to MBM for your springs, GO for H&R springs!!!

Guest Raskie

bro, I am considering upgrade to 18" or 19" but still haven't find a suitable one. currently using Brabus Mono Block VI 17" still in good condition. May i know where is the shop selling the replica Carlsson rim? do they have 18" or 19"

Can try Lee Beng at AMK Ave3 (next to Caltex) going towards Hougang ...

Guest Ronkovic

Hi Ronkovic!

Just want to extend a warm welcome to you too! I also drive a '91 Merc but not a W201, so I'm afraid I don't have any advise to offer. My ride is on the other end of the size spectrum - a W126, a slow and ponderous tank compared to your pocket rocket, haha!

Nonetheless it's great to have another owner of a early-90's Benz in our midst. IMHO Benz made some of the most lasting cars during those years.

Thanks for the welcome dude. Glad to know another old-school Merc owner.

Big cars are always more fun especially for the VIP look. After having driven a BMW 5-series for the last 3 years, the 190E suddenly seems much smaller! Ahahahaha! But its indeed a fun ride.

Guest Ronkovic

well i think they could be out of town,

but can help u a little bit,

think if u looking for 18" u need to have a wide arch!! and its more heavy, for a 1.8L its even worst...

go for the 17" just nice..

o yah go to MBM for your springs, GO for H&R springs!!!

Thanks for the heads up Kel.

Yeah, with 18", there's always the dilemma of looks vs comfort and speed. I've always had a soft spot for big rims tho' (Used to use 18" Hammans on my Bimmer), and guess even lucky that I managed to find an original Carlsson one. But guess maybe for practicality, the 17" replicas would do just nicely.

Just curious, whereabouts is MBM and do you have any idea on the rough price of the springs? And would these springs be OK on stock shocks or need to change to other like Bilstens / Eibachs etc?

Thanks dude for the tips! :)

Guest Ronkovic

bro, I am considering upgrade to 18" or 19" but still haven't find a suitable one. currently using Brabus Mono Block VI 17" still in good condition. May i know where is the shop selling the replica Carlsson rim? do they have 18" or 19"

Hi Kompressor,

I went to a couple of stores. One of them is Wan Mo along Jln Besar. The stocks for the 1/16 replicas are not in yet though. Only will be around from 15 May. They come in 17"s to 19"s. These are Taiwan made (RM brand if I'm not wrong). Price wise starts from $220 per rim for 17"s.

I'll most likely go rim hunting on Wednesday again, if you want can gimme a buzz and we can go together. :)

Guest B4Benz

Hi Ronkovic,

Side topic but i bought this mag called Mercedes Enthusiast (Mau 07) from Borders which is featuring an article on 16V 190s....Doesn't help you get the parts, but it's an interesting read....never knew mercedes actually had "Evolution" series!

Good pics to start ya addiing more mods..... :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ronkovic

Hi Ronkovic,

Side topic but i bought this mag called Mercedes Enthusiast (Mau 07) from Borders which is featuring an article on 16V 190s....Doesn't help you get the parts, but it's an interesting read....never knew mercedes actually had "Evolution" series!

Good pics to start ya addiing more mods..... :laugh:

Thanks for the heads up bro.

Bought the mag as well and had a good read. :)

Looking at the pics and specs of all those 16V 190s is indeed poisonous to the mind!

If only the parts (both mechanical and aesthetic) were easy to get in SG, then my plans for the 190E would be complete.... :-[

Been sourcing around for aesthetic stuff like bodykits, but Still not much luck. Also started my hunt for mechanical stuff ... waiting for some lobangs in MY.

Thanks for the heads up bro.

Bought the mag as well and had a good read. :)

Looking at the pics and specs of all those 16V 190s is indeed poisonous to the mind!

If only the parts (both mechanical and aesthetic) were easy to get in SG, then my plans for the 190E would be complete.... :-[

Been sourcing around for aesthetic stuff like bodykits, but Still not much luck. Also started my hunt for mechanical stuff ... waiting for some lobangs in MY.

MY have to go to KL side, there have alot and good!!

MYBENZ group have a lady owner, with a 2.3L, just finished done up till EVO II kit!! damn nice man