• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Cracked tyres!

Guest redhood

Guest redhood

Walau, recently found out that my tyres are all cracked in the inner sidewalls. C&C told me and I didn't believe. Went to Stamford and they showed them to me. Bo pian, kena change all four, for safety sake... :-( They say that it is due to under-inflated tyres, which places too much pressure on the inner sidewalls. Sheesh!

New CSC3s seems nice and comfy. Will see if they are good...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Guest johnglh

i have the same problem cos i couldnt see the condition of inner wall. tyre just give way while on nicole highway. the inner wall had a tear on it.

Guest redhood

wah you guys are scaring me man :o if tire give way at speed of 200 then thats it lor... "Gao Teng Kee liao" (handover IC)

Walau, looks like dun pray, pray, leh. All of us better check tyre inner sidewalls every month. Explosion at high-speed is no joke, boy. Those going up North better check before you go, deh!

Guest Cklasse

Where exactly is inner side wall? Are you refering to the side facing in or must I remove the rims to see the inner of the tyre (the air side).

I guess this happens when tyre has run under low pressure for prolong period. Right? Wrong?

Guest redhood

Where exactly is inner side wall? Are you refering to the side facing in or must I remove the rims to see the inner of the tyre (the air side).

I guess this happens when tyre has run under low pressure for prolong period. Right? Wrong?

If you look at your car from the side, you will only see the tyres' outer sidewall. The inner sidewall is only visible when you remove the wheels (like when you are changing tyres after and puncture) and examine the side that is facing inwards, nearer the suspension.

I hope this helps...

I am thinking that this might be a problem for under-inflated tyres, not sure how long it takes to develop the problem and under what conditions it might lead to a blow-up. I also think that the negative camber of the wheels may contribute to the problem as well. I suspect that the SLK is set up with more negative camber than increases pressure on the inside track of the tyres, causing only the inside sidewall to give way.

Guest Titan

Negative camber with make your inner side wheel botak fast thus directional change is a must during tyre rotation but having cracks has nothing to do with camber settings leh ???

Guest redhood

Then i dunno liao! Anyway, for the benefit of those who dunno what the hell I'm talking about, I hope you can see it in the pic below. It is fine line about 1cm below where the tyre threads end.

Hope this works. first time I'm trying to post pics.

crack1.jpg

edit:help you put it in your reply