• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Auto transmission problem

Guest angela

Guest angela

Hey guys,been noticing that every time I start up the car for the first time in the morning and drive off, the car refuses to switch from gear 2 to 3. I have to rev to ard 3k rpm before it changes gear. Only happens once, after that for the whole day the car drives as per normal. What could be the problem?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SgLaKsa

Don't worry, its because your engine is still cold, gears are set to change at slightly higher RPM so as to facilitate the warming up of your engine. (As stated in our owners' manual). It'll be back to normal after just a few minutes of driving when the engine reaches its normal operating temperature.

But you should actually not over-rev when the engine is not operating at its normal temperature yet though :D

Guest angela

Hey guys,been noticing that every time I start up the car for the first time in the morning and drive off, the car refuses to switch from gear 2 to 3. I have to rev to ard 3k rpm before it changes gear. Only happens once, after that for the whole day the car drives as per normal. What could be the problem?

i have the same problem for almost 5yrs now. i always warm the car for a few minutes b4 driving and only a few times no need to rev up to 3k rpm. no problem, its still chugging along nicely. no worries. :punk1:

Guest jenvid

my old school of thought, always warm up your engine before you drive off.

In my other school of thought.. explicitly stated in the manual DO NOT WARM UP ENGINE BEFORE DRIVING OFF. :(

This one I cannot fantom why... read something about it before but cant remember the debate....

Guest eyke

In my other school of thought.. explicitly stated in the manual DO NOT WARM UP ENGINE BEFORE DRIVING OFF. :(

This one I cannot fantom why... read something about it before but cant remember the debate....

coz idling is not the way to warm up, the correct way is just to drive off immediately but keep revs low.

Guest Otsego

coz idling is not a good way to warm up, the correct way is just to drive off and keep revs low.

idling is not good because it can't breath properly

u need to have fresh air entering the engine to have a proper warmup.

Guest 9339

A warm up i think is just 1 or 2 min, no one will warm up for 20min right ?

Saw many driver likes to hop in the car, start engine and drive off immediately.

I belive this shouldnt be the way.

Guest angela

Hmmm..when my car is parked in the multistorey carpark(5th floor) and I drive off,I have to go down 5 decks to exit the MSCP and I go at low speeds so by the time I get out of the MSCP the car won't have the gear changing problem when I go onto the main road. However, when I park at a normal open air carpark and go to the main road, the problem is there. So I guess its a warming up issue? I don't really like to rev it to 3k,sounds very scary and I'm afraid I'm wasting petrol. :(

Should I start the engine and wait ard 2~3 minutes before driving off? Is this considered a warm up?

Guest 9339

I used to do this on both my few year's Honda and my New Merc, Start the engine , finish my last half puff, get in the car, engage to drive for about 20sec before i release the brake and drive off.