• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Electrical power from ignition

Guest Cklasse

Guest Cklasse

Anyone knows of shops that can do power extention from W203 ignition point?

I want to tap the electrical power from my W203 ignition so that I can charge my GPS whenever I start the car.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Guest Cklasse

Garmin Nuvi 370, ordered online from exepansys.com at S$960 including shipping.

Comes with TTS, US and Europe map. I use Malsing map for Singapore and Malaysia.

Guest angela

Can u use the electricity from the cigarette socket?

Anyone knows of shops that can do power extention from W203 ignition point?

I want to tap the electrical power from my W203 ignition so that I can charge my GPS whenever I start the car.

Guest Cklasse

My concern for using the ignition for power is it may screw up the engine start process.

I have tried the cigarette lighter socket (using the provided plug) but I want to hide the wire and keep the lighter socket free for my iPod. I noticed the power to the lighter socket cuts off when the engine is off, this is good for me so that I can leave the GPS in the car. If running the wire hidden in the panel is easy, I don't mind getting the power from the lighter socket.

ok, any shop capable of doing such things like running wires under Merc panels, tapping power?

I am always very concern with shops that take car panels apart from gut feel and not knowing fully the sequence or tricks.

Guest jenvid

Most ICE shops shld be able to do it. U can try Pin Liang at Zion Rd.

If you are more adventurous, you can DIY. The fuse to the cigarette I think is located at the driver side. Alternatively, you can tap the IU's power source. This wld run nicely together if u intend to put the Nuvi holder near the IU.

If you are using solar film, you will also need to get a external booster antenna.

Stick it at the black area on top of the rear view mirror or run it to the bonnet's wiper nozzle tray.