• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Rumbling Groan...

GohKevin

I've just got my hands on a lovely pre-owned B170 and driving around nicely.

Until... a groaning rumbling sound I hear from under the engine compartment.

It comes on initially when I shift to reverse. It sounds like a taxi's disel engine rattle. I thought its OK and its only when I reverse that I hear this.

Now when I'm idling at the traffic lights, I get this sound. 

Getting more pronounced and its getting on my nerves.

Can I ask anyone if this is some warning sign? Better yet... can anyone shed some light to what it is and what I'm to expect?

Am thinking of going to C&C on Monday.

Mileage: 92K

Thanks everyone!

2008 W245 Black with no mods yet.

B 170 in the East

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better send to C&C fast... You bought from Republic right??? Should have extended warranty..... If no... Then be prepared to pay.....

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Thanks.... going cold turkey on driving tomorrow.... Monday going to C&C.

Going to put on a sad face and hope rates aren't gonna kill me.

Anyways... what do you think it is?...

B 170 in the East

While waiting for appt, I got advice from a WS that it could be from a couple of reasons. 1. Tensioner issue. 2. Old transmission oil . Now just waiting for appt to get to the bottom of it. I also noticed that when aircon is set at 22• the sound disappears. Correlation between aircon and tensioner?

B 170 in the East

Yup... am going today.

Doing a bit of work then he said he wanted to look into the aircon and tensioner.

I'll report in after....

B 170 in the East

u bought not long ago right?

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Yup that's right. Can never be too careful.

Sent it in. Done the deed and happy to hear from mechanic that the engine was in excellent condition. Heng ah!

Turns out the sound was gone after doing all the lube job. I did a 90k maintenance.

B 170 in the East

Better to services the car after collect from the dealer, you wouldn't know if the car well taken care off.

My car the auto oil and filter was like coffee black, and the aircon compressor oil have to service and filled in the fluid to prolong the life.

• 2 weeks later...

Still a newbie, considering that there are much more seniors here who'll give better advice. 

From the usual process flow of looking at engine, brakes, test drive and the cosmetics of the car, I've found little nuances like...

- Foldable mirrors: stock mirrors do not fold and can pose a nuisance when in tight spaces and motorcycle safety

- Rear cam with Comand unit: Good value if these are installed. i.e. chances are it includes GPS

These are just some of the things that produce better value.... however, they are few and far between.

From others I talked to, the Bclass is quite a stable workhorse. Although, they do need a little warming up after startup to drive smooth.

You'll notice that immediately when you test drive. Try with the air conditioner on cold start. 

B 170 in the East

Overall feeling is that it's underpowered for a full load.

I usually drive with one passenger and feels all right.

B 170 in the East

• 2 weeks later...

With the help of the good people at Chip Soon... finally replaced the source of the irritating sound from down below....

The tensioner...

tensioner

B 170 in the East

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I drive a B200, with full load the power still there, but it a family car, so don't drive it with a sport car mentality. 

I also drive the new model B200 you can treat him like cruise car or you treat him like a sport car when you switch to sport mode, but I can tell you not safe due to suspension too soft.. I flat out until 5000 rpm, the feel like you are flying like that.. Brake wise I do a hard brake still work quite well, the brake apply more front then back.. B class car is not bad.. is like mini mpv.