• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Air matic problem

richardong

Dear Friends,

I am new to the Mercedes world, recently bought a 2006 S280, and its giving me the classic Air matic problem. It does move up or down, but the car can still move.

One workshop said its the airmatic pump and control valve thats faulty, another said the back struts needs replacement. No idea who is correct. C&C said each struts costs $4k to replace excluding labour.

can anyone kindly recommend a reliable workshop to use?

Are there any good OEM parts that we can use? any experts out there who can explain abit about this airmatic and its parts ?

any advice will be much appreciated

regards

Richard

Hi Fellow S280 user...could you advice your airmatic do u hear any noise...like metal noise when running?

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

I had replaced all 4 of my suspension and the price is below...

CnC $4.2k

Outside workshop but MB part $1.8k

Non MB parts $900 ea

this is the guideline for you

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

thanks all for your reply, I had done the replacement at $900 for each strut and $2k for the compressor pump. Glad that the workshop said this is the only major replacement for  W220.

there were no sounds but the car cannot move up and down when u press the airmatic button.

Had previously thought that S Class owners were all  serious old folks, am glad that we have some interesting characters, look forward to meeting you people at the gatherings to show you my dongs.

• Like 1

Nope this is not the only major repair.

will tell u more when we meet up

Please keep your DONGs to yourself......if all of us start showing our DONGs.....the we will have 华山论剑。。。with 屠龙刀 and 倚天剑.....LOL

Spoon feeding teaches you nothing....but the shape of the spoon...

• 4 months later...

thanks all for your reply, I had done the replacement at $900 for each strut and $2k for the compressor pump. Glad that the workshop said this is the only major replacement for  W220.

there were no sounds but the car cannot move up and down when u press the airmatic button.

Had previously thought that S Class owners were all  serious old folks, am glad that we have some interesting characters, look forward to meeting you people at the gatherings to show you my dongs.

May I know where did you fixed the airmatic.... just bought one and have this problem....   : (

I did my airmatic here...

Co: Round Motor Repairs & Services

Add: No. 10 Ang mo kio industrial park 2A #01-19
Amk autopoint Singapore 568047

Tel: 6481 2777

did mine at 468 dunearn road. he will try to rip you off at first with a ridiculous price just because you drive a S class, but u can reduce his price by about 30% if you claim to know the "market price ", ask for Bilstein OEM parts to sound like you know your stuff.

good luck

I had I shipped to my house in USA than shipped in bulk to Singapore.

My mechanic charged $350 for the installation for the front and rear and than I sent it for alignment.

Unfortunately all 4 were shot. The pump is fine but I bought a spare for $150 usd just in case it goes. It's used pump and now I just have 1 year and 9 months to used compared to the time when I had just taken over and had 4 + years to go.

Too bad we cant buy....

• 9 months later...