• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Timing belt or Timing chain?

Guest Cklasse

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new here with a C200 (w203).

I suppose our car is not using timing belt ... ours is running on timing chain & just is required to be tighten after a period of time once is losing the tightness.. rite?

Guest Cklasse

Yep! I checked with C&C and the W203 is running on timing chain, so no replacment is required. The obvious indication to change / tighten would be when the engine starts to sound like a diesel clacking away (loose chain knocking sound).

ok, just done 133000 km service....now that the chain part is solved, will the cat be the next one to think about?

One thing good about timing chain is that you just need to tighten it if I'm correct.. & is cheaper to maintain than changing of timing belt.

I used to be on Japanese cars & so far all are using timing belt.. one disadvantage is that no warning sign.. once it gives way.. thats it!! :'( You just have to get it change base on mileage travelled.

Guest sy69u

One thing good about timing chain is that you just need to tighten it if I'm correct.. & is cheaper to maintain than changing of timing belt.

I used to be on Japanese cars & so far all are using timing belt.. one disadvantage is that no warning sign.. once it gives way.. thats it!! :'( You just have to get it change base on mileage travelled.

so bro, u did e right thing...........................

leave the problem, change the car!!!

sy69u ]

One thing good about timing chain is that you just need to tighten it if I' wrote:

Quite true also...

I'm a newbie to Merc, I sold my previous WRX partially due to timing belt is due for changing.. so was a 50/50 decision whether to change timing belt & continue driving it.. or change car.

Guest sy69u

Rysk ]

One thing good about timing chain is that you just need to tighten it if I' wrote:

Quite true also...

I'm a newbie to Merc, I sold my previous WRX partially due to timing belt is due for changing.. so was a 50/50 decision whether to change timing belt & continue driving it.. or change car.

wrx? hmmm.......... need to 'upgrade' ur w203 & m sure can beat stock wrx hollow. hehehehehehehe. meet us for more poison. hehehehehehe

sy69u ]

Rysk ]

Quite true also...

I' wrote:

wrx? hmmm.......... need to 'upgrade' ur w203 & m sure can beat stock wrx hollow. hehehehehehehe. meet us for more poison. hehehehehehe

But my previous rex was running at max 300whp (approx. 4.5sec 0-100) ... now I want to be good boy again after having fun for almost 4-yrs playing with Subaru.. lots of mod stuff & aftermarket parts!

I don't really miss the car, just miss the power... but soon I'll be getting use to my W203 now!

sy69u ]

Rysk ]

Quite true also...

I' wrote:

I had enough poison during the time I owned my previous WRX..

I don't wish to meet a "bad guys" like you leh can or not!! ;D

Kompressor ]

sy69u ]

Rysk ]

Quite true also...

I' wrote:

wrx? hmmm.......... need to ' wrote:

no way even for stock la. lol

Base on power to weight ratio alone... even an upgrade C-class still stand no chance to beat even a stock wrx... but a stock wrx only good in low to mid end... so a well upgraded C-class still stand a chance to try for higher end if both is on open road.. cos the "stock" rex will run out of breath when reaching 1 bar.

Rysk ]

Kompressor ]

sy69u ]

Quite true also...

I' wrote:

wrx? hmmm.......... need to ' wrote:

no way even for stock la. lol

Base on power to weight ratio alone... even an upgrade C-class still stand no chance to beat even a stock wrx... but a stock wrx only good in low to mid end... so a well upgraded C-class still stand a chance to try for higher end if both is on open road.. cos the "stock" rex will run out of breath when reaching 1 bar.

ya, even after a long run, the rex will go, 'bo yu, bo yu'. heheheheheheheheheh

W203 ??? Rex ??? We do have plenty of W203 running on 280bhp or even a AMG now close to 500 or might exceeded 500 now......

I do believe some bros out there running with "hidden power" under the bonnet...

But I think is much cheaper & easier to squeeze out more horses from a rex, compare to a W230 or W240 which you really need to squeeze out more $$ just to get you there.

As for AMG.. a highly modded lightened STI with around 750 horses can take the job liao.

After all, comparing is never ending story.... just enjoy our ride cos I would say both Subaru & Merc is very much different in term of characteristic & driving pleasure! ;)

Ya, should only compare the same class, Rex with Merc ? = Kids taking on an Adult on Karma sutra position. Just like some ppl only know and fancy LV and Rolex. Bottega Venetta(hope i get the spelling right) they say no resale or not famous.......hahaa

:iconsalut: If someone is offended.

Ya, should only compare the same class, Rex with Merc ? = Kids taking on an Adult on Karma sutra position. Just like some ppl only know and fancy LV and Rolex. Bottega Venetta(hope i get the spelling right) they say no resale or not famous.......hahaa

:iconsalut: If someone is offended.

hahahahahahahaha.... so polite.... hahahahahahaha