• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

The Continental Sports Contact 2 vs Good Year RevSpec

Guest aspade

Guest aspade

Unfortunately my wife hit some sharp object along the road that punctured the front left wheel. Managed to limp home but that tyre was totally lost as the hole was on the side wall .... Hmmm, we never knew what hit us that could torn such a big hole on a relative new tyre (3.5 months, about 7500 Km).

Anyway after putting on the spare wheel, I then go to Stamford to get a replacement. To my horror (being a B-budget guy), shock to hear the new Continental Sports Contact 2 cost S$300+ a piece after all the discounts (list price S$500+ !!!). Cannot take it so decided to go back to my regular GoodYear which I knew would cost 1/2 that price. I would pay abit more but I could get 2 tires instead of one and maintain balance of the car.

Struggled a while to decide between Thai-made Eagle F1 or Japan-made Eage RevSpec RS2.0. Finally took the RS2.0 because I believe it will be more silent ... I had the F1 before on my W168 - while it was fantastic to drive, it can be noisy too. The RevSpec is suppose to be a all rounder.

Based on the the initial 50km, here's the difference I felt comparing both tires :

1) CSC2 is a bit sharper and precise in terms of steering

2) CSC2 give more feedback from the wheels

3) RS2.0 is a lot more quieter

4) RS2.0 is much more comfortable and feels more like a merc.

My GY RS2.0 is still not run in yet so hopefully the steering feel can be improve. But right now, we like and enjoying the changed character of the car.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest aspade

Its been a year since I switched over to the Goodyear. I have to say I really like the tire after about 12,000km. Out of curiousity I drove it using different air pressure and swapping with the rear conti2 (original) to check the difference. So far here's what I found (non-scientific):

1) PSI at 29 or below, confortable but road noise can be quite pronounce. Though softer than Conti. Feels confident during braking but slow starting.

2) PSI at 30 to 32, good balance between road noise and performance of the car.

3) PSI at 38, great handling and feels quicker on start. Noise is surprising low as I hear mostly engine noise rather than tire noise (Could be my car - coming to 2.5 years). Grip is good in dry and wet. Can feel the tire is hard and could feel the pebbles the car drove past (not on the steering but the car floor).

Did not find any fuel savings thru the different PSI. Tire wear is quite good. The wear surface is rougher compared to Conti but still can see the tiny threads that came when the tire is new.

Anybody can compare notes ?

Guest aspade

By the way, both the Conti and Goodyear are not nail resistant. Kena periced twice but luckily was alerted by the console message and made it to tire shop before the air ran out.

It's assuring to know that the tire pressure sensing / warning system on B Class works - both front and back tires !