• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Fuel Consumption - SLK280 / SLK350

Folks,

Great to be here! Nice to be in touch with the SG SLK community...

I've been thinking of getting a R171, my idea initially was SLK200. But lately I've been reading quite a bit about SLK280 and SLK350, and my interest kind of shifted.

Could I check with you folks who drive SLK280 and/or SLK350...what's your fuel consumption like, driving in Singapore? How many km/litre...or how many km can your full tank tahan?

Thank you all in advance for any advice you can give! :D

hello hello! welcome :)

The R171's a good choice!

in terms of fuel consumption, i'm sorry i can't help much cos i drive a 200... and it's usually anywhere from 7.5-9.9L/100km. for 350 i think its somewhere like 11-12L/100km...

i think it also depends on road conditions, i.e. expressway vs urban areas...

the 350's def more powerful than the 200...my dad decided against it cos the other time when he went to test drive it, the car just shot forward and i think he is still traumatized by that hahaha. hence we decided on the humble, entry-level 200. hehe. :D

but i think you'd get a better kick driving a 280/350 than a 200! :)

Thanks very much Ruth! 7.5-9.9L/100km is great for any car! And I'm sure you're getting the best of both worlds...the enjoyment of an SLK + nice fuel economy!

And when I go for a test drive, I'll learn from your dad and go easy on the pedal!! :thumbsu:

I see... aww man. I wanted a white one so badly! Personally I think it's a really dashing colour. Never fails to catch my eye when I spot one on the roads. :) however I worry about bird poop stains and keeping the white in its pristine state.

I dare say silver's a pretty popular color, but quite common as well... mine's silver haha :) Grey's a pretty rare color too.... Guess it all boils down to personal choice... you still have time to think!

As for modding, I guess I'm quite the minimalist when it comes to the car... still deliberating about what mods I'd eventually get. Maybe I'll start off with the tires... heh. part of what's good in this forum is that you'll be able to get inspiration abt modding.

yourself? what does your ideal modded slk look like? :D

Oh yes...I would start with rims & tyres (already counting my chicks before they hatch)! I came across this, and thought you may want to take a look... http://www.carlssonasiapacific.com/en/wheelsconfig.php.

Then ECU tuning and smart top.

And perhaps a little later on...some cosmetic changes won't hurt (other than my pocket)! http://www.piecha.com/produktprogramm/mercedesslkr171/0963879d570ed5202/index.php

:rolleyes: All day dreaming right now but I'm working on it...

BTW silver makes great sense! White requires maintenance, as you have correctly pointed out, and I can be lazy when it comes to keeping clean...

As for grey...check this out..http://www.flickr.com/photos/27842491@N06/7187581584/

wow.... so you did your research! impressive. haha that's a pretty cool site! will definitely explore these ideas a bit :)

it seems to me you really know what you want. heh! think it'd cost quite a bit for the mods but I suppose they're all feasible things you can do for your car... hopefully I'll get to see your ride when it's all done! :)

the grey car is fierce! haha

Let me try! :)

Smart Top - I like the way it was described here... http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r171-slk-class/1568493-slk-smarttop-convertible-roof-module.html

"One of the most popular upgrades to the SLK is the smartTOP roof module.

Imagine opening your convertible, using your existing Mercedes factory key fob, as you walk up to your vehicle - a top down drive cannot begin more elegantly! Ready to go but don't want to wait? Imagine the convenience, and the looks you will receive, as you put the top up or down as you start or end your drive.

Now you can have features such as 'one touch' top operation, remote control operation with your factory key fob, and operation of the top while driving up to speeds of 35 mph on certain models." That is, you can operate the top while the car is in motion (under 60km/h).

ECU tuning is about reprogramming the car's electronic control unit (ECU) to get more power (faster acceleration) and/or fuel efficiency. This is possible because the default manufacturer settings tend to be more conservative, to allow for individual engine variations as well as infrequent servicing and poor-quality fuel.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...