• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

1978 280SLC

Guest Rajsan

Guest Rajsan

Hi all,

New to this forum.

I drive a 1978 280SLC. Have had it for just over 2 years. It's a baby blue, with beige interior, and my licence plate is 280 too! Honk if you see me on the roads.

Cheers.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

New to this forum.

I drive a 1978 280SLC. Have had it for just over 2 years. It's a baby blue, with beige interior, and my licence plate is 280 too! Honk if you see me on the roads.

Cheers.

Hey hey hey pictures man! we need pictures of your baby blue 280! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Guest Rajsan

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome.

Maintenance:

When I got the car 2 years ago, I changed all the belts and fluids. Got the engine tuned - it was running rough, and the idle speed was very high, but got that under control without having to change the warm up regulator.

I had the body resprayed, after fixing some serious rust problems, especially on the driver-side floorboards, and front wheel arches.

I changed the aircon compressor to a modern-type one - the old one was running too hot, and causing the whole engine to start overheating. Much cooler now, and better mileage.

Other than that, it's pretty much a work in progress.

The regular servicing is pretty straightforward - semi-syn oil, plugs, oil filter etc, every 7.5k or so.

Now, I'm trying to get the transmission sorted - downshifts are clunky, so that means the vacuum control valve is wonky, although my mechanic does not think so - the debate continues.

I'll put up pictures soon.

Again, if anyone has some good contacts for maintenance, please share.

Regards,

Hi Rajsan,

Welcome to the forum. We exchanged messages at the other forum. We should meet up and compare notes and repair bills!!!!

Regards

Maniac

Hi, yes, hope you found the contact useful.

Guys, sorry about not posting pictures - I just realised that its a bit of a process.....

• 2 weeks later...

Woken up around midnight last night by my condo security to tell me that the passenger side window has shattered.

No reason - and nothing taken from the car! Glass all over the place! No one saw anything, including the guy who was washing his car nearby. All he heard was a loud bang - like someone dropped a heavy bag.

Sigh. My mechanic is looking for a replacement. Hopefully can find.

Really pissed off.

I'd be really sad if it was an intentional thing - turns the living environment really unpleasant to know that someone can think of going around smashing car windows! Still, can't think of an explanation.

Good news is that my mechanic managed to find a replacement - getting the old girl done up today.

Will take the opportunity to have a couple of small rust spots around the rear wheel arches touched up as well.

And then, a nice polish, put the bad incident behind, and good to go!

Hi, Maniac, thanks. If you remember, I gave you his contact - his name is Steven, at the ESSO station on the corner of Ipoh Lane and Tanjong Katong Road. If you need his number again, PM me.

Turns out rear brake disc also needs to be replaced - its a neverending story! But enjoyable.

I'm still arguing with him about the vacuum control valve - he is adamant that it's working ok - he said he checked, there's no loss in vacuum.

He seems convinced its the rear axle, or flex joint. The argument continues.....

Good to hear that your mechanic got the replacement so quickly, which is quite amazing given that its a relatively rare car in this part of the world. Gotta share this lobang!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rajsan,

How did your vacuum control valve issue with the mechanic go?

After an expensive September, I am happy to report that my car is now running fine! Mechanically, its probably better now than it was 12 months ago.

If you want to try my mechanic, its Yuyi Motor Repairing, located at the Caltex Station along Dunearn Road, just before ACS Barker Road. Its owned by a couple of ex-C&C mechanics, who have been in business since the early 80s.

• 4 months later...

got some minor servicing done recently and taken on the car from my brother. nice car - and looking at bringing it through the paces over the next couple of weeks to see if any issues emerge.

Otherwise quite happy to keep it in good running condition.

I'm interested to scout around for some possible service locations, so any suggestions are welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Gargle wrote:

went to see Francis - so far so good. Still some issues to identify and resolve - all a matter of vitamin M i think.

Isn't it the case most of the time hehehehe... :music: It's always a good cause for our Mercs..

Guest Gargle

absolutely - worth every penny. I cannot bear to drive another car already... it MUST be spent with a good mechanic though, and for lasting, good quality work, for which i think all of us are willing to part with our beloved vitaMins.