Guest CipCum

Help Needed : 94 SL Roof Hydraulic Fluid Leaking

11 posts in this topic

can anyone help me with my 94 500sl convertible top just leaked all the fluid out the left side,looked like it was dripping on top of the actuator as i was lowering the top down.im gonna do it miself but need some guidance...where is all that fluid stored at .thanks.

Hi CipCum, welcome to Sgmerc. Sorry no one responded to ur request. It could be that everyone thot somebody would reply but nobody did. Perhaps jcan describe exactly where the fluid has emerged from n maybe some of our more technically proficient members can help u.

Mine's a hard top, so I can't really help. Sorry!

can anyone help me with my 94 500sl convertible top just leaked all the fluid out the left side,looked like it was dripping on top of the actuator as i was lowering the top down.im gonna do it miself but need some guidance...where is all that fluid stored at .thanks.

i would suggest starting a new thread, since this topic title dont really fit your question?

Check out the ultimate hydraulic system thread on the R129 from Benzworld that will help you better understand the system.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1307426-r129-soft-top-hydraulic-system-ultimate.html#post2262978

From what I learnt from previous SL owners, your hydraulic cylinders are rebuildable/resealable and chances are you only have to repair the faulty ones.

I think no one's really replied because there's only one or two other guys who own the same car model as you. Why not take it to a workshop?

Hi,

Do you still have this problem? I had a similar problem a couple of months back but mine is a 300SL. I may be able to help you. You can call me at 96638837.

LIM

Hi Cipcum,

Think this mail may be too late for you. But anyway.... :rockon:

The hydraulic fluid is stored underneath the spare tyre at the back of the boot.

g8crasher pointed to a good resource. But I guess the seals are gone.

and Yes, the seals are repairable. New actuators costs a few hundred EACH. There are abt 12 actuators for the whole system... :pray:

No point doing it yourself, unless you have a garage and lots of time and tools.

Got a solid mechanic at Sin Ming Blk 11, Trendy auto; Tony: Tel 96618677; Can rebuild it with new seals if the shafts are not worn. I have got 1 extra set for the front if yours are worn.

He does all repairs for mercs, porsche, bentley, jaguar, bmws, etc. Lots of R129 there too. Good mechanic, but got to queue.

When you are there, say Thomas recommended. (no commission for me, haha! Just for you to start a good chat with him!).

Good luck!

Best Regards

Thomas

Hi all,

Just wanted to share that Thomas kind recommendation is still valid.

I went to Tony @ Trendy Auto yesterday to fix my r171 driver side roof hydraulic fluid was leaking.

He fixed it within a day and costs in the low hundreds.

Leaving me a happy customer

Thanks

Hi Jeffslk350,

I'm having the same problem.  There is a slow drip of yellow oil that is coming from the edge of the driver's side roof.  Can you PM me how much it cost to have it fixed by Tony?  

Thanks!

Went to Trendy Auto ( Tony) to get the leak fixed. Thank god itwas only a small leak. Tony replaced the faulty hydraulic and now there is no more embarrassing random drip. All done in aday and they washed the car too. Pretty reasonable pricing.

Now, my slk roof hydraulic leak, will be going sin ming to check out later. Hope the workshop still there.

Happy