• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

“Old car smell”

MasterGMT

Hi all, 

for some reasons, the ageing Merc’s and even BMW all have this “old car smells” which is quite difficult to get rid of.

The smell does not come from the leather seats and my wife who has a very sharp sense of smell commented that smell is from the plastic parts whereas some friends told me old car are musky and could be mouldy so advised me to sun tan the car. 

I suntanned the car but the smell still lingers. I did try a fairly expensive order remover on the upholstery and carpets which seems to light hem the smell.

Any advise how how getting rid of the old car smell for my 11 year old w221? Thanks guys. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might have to get the air duct steamed, there might be a whole lots of mould that is common in such a humid condition.

interior cleaning companies should be able to advise you on this.

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

no matter what you do, the smell will come back after some time, unless you change the whole AC system. As my car is always in shelter, it comes back very quickly. What I do is use the sonax air con cleaner - lasts for about 2-3 months before smell comes back. One other thing I noticed is that every 6-8 months, after I park the car in the sun for 2 hours or so, the AC will blow hot air for 5 seconds, before it cools. After 3 months, smell comes back....

I also used Sonax Aircond cleaner. Works but will come back. I had a terrible smell on my previous car. Sour smell every morning. Used 2 can of Sonax Aircond clearner... Works like a charm. Bought it from petrol station car wash... Used to be $12 now is $18 per can. Worth it. 

• 1 month later...

Temporary measure, go to some car audio shop use fumes to purify your car. Tried C&C chemical wash but smell still comes back.

Best way, to remove is to get a workshop to replace your evaporator. It is a major job and not cheap as they will have to remove the whole dash board to access the housing assembly. I am think of doing it when I renew my COE.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your guidance. 

Im quite sure old car smell doesnt come from aircon but possibly the degraded plastic or leather or uphostry. Perhaps will try the sonax aircon treatment first to confirm source of bad smell is not from aircon. 

On 6/15/2018 at 9:29 PM, MasterGMT said:

Hi all, 

for some reasons, the ageing Merc’s and even BMW all have this “old car smells” which is quite difficult to get rid of.

The smell does not come from the leather seats and my wife who has a very sharp sense of smell commented that smell is from the plastic parts whereas some friends told me old car are musky and could be mouldy so advised me to sun tan the car. 

I suntanned the car but the smell still lingers. I did try a fairly expensive order remover on the upholstery and carpets which seems to light hem the smell.

Any advise how how getting rid of the old car smell for my 11 year old w221? Thanks guys. 

Friend, it is the air conditioner evaporator. Either get it evaporator out to thoroughly chemical clean or replaced the evaporator which will be mouldy and dirty. C & C's chemical clean is rubbish as I have tried it. Smells after a day or two. Taking out evaporator is a tedious job. Some shop quote as highs as $1,400.00. I am still trying to find one who can do cheaper.