• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Finally got myself a benz

JSnoob

After driving different makes i have finally purchased a gold colored 1989 mercedes benz 200E. Apologies for my wrong info on colors. Previous wheels had been of Japanese n Korean makes. Shortlisted a number of 200Es and E200s from sgcarmart. But as soon as i had test driven my current car and had a long discussion with the owner, this baby was going to be mine.

Since i had never owned a merc before, I would greatly appreciate exchanges and inputs from fellow members on the upkeep and maintenance of the car. I noticed a few members here also drove the 200E. Thanks in advance and happy new year to you all!

2017-02-16-10-28-45.jpg

4 minutes ago, keltanky said:

mine is 11/'91 same coe end date.

15 inch normal rims??

FC haiz... can get 500 km for 70 litres full tanks

Hmmm..yes, my car's wearing the same shoes. 500km for 70 litres isn't very inspiring but I always believed there's a way to better that. I'm a believer of gadgets, having used many for my past cars.

2 minutes ago, JSnoob said:

Hmmm..yes, my car's wearing the same shoes. 500km for 70 litres isn't very inspiring but I always believed there's a way to better that. I'm a believer of gadgets, having used many for my past cars.

bare in mind this car is really mechanical. not much of electronics. I had tried all kinds, unless you always on NSHWY, where can get 11Km/Litre

Is the last of Diamler's "No Expenses Spare Policy" for it's automobiles.. thereafter it all cost savings

I recount my experience with Nissan cars in late 90s, moving on to the Honda Accord in 2000. When the car is mostly mechanical, adding an electronic gadget would be quite pointless. Therefore, we should tackle the problem from other angles, like air intake, electrical boost, electrical stability, and influencing the fuel intake, to name a few. One of my favorites was the Cold Air Induction. Have you tried that before?

The car itself being about 1343 kg in unladen weight, it may be not a bad idea to slightly over-inflate your tires. I usually top up my air to about 250 pressure.. Replacing your paper air filter for a stainless steel one would probably have the greatest impact n greatest boost to the power output.

6 minutes ago, JSnoob said:

The car itself being about 1343 kg in unladen weight, it may be not a bad idea to slightly over-inflate your tires. I usually top up my air to about 250 pressure.. Replacing your paper air filter for a stainless steel one would probably have the greatest impact n greatest boost to the power output.

@JSnoob I used to pump 250psi for the front and 280psi for the rear. I remember we used to have a member here that really installed CAI for his ride... Not sure of the results though...

1 hour ago, JSnoob said:

I recount my experience with Nissan cars in late 90s, moving on to the Honda Accord in 2000. When the car is mostly mechanical, adding an electronic gadget would be quite pointless. Therefore, we should tackle the problem from other angles, like air intake, electrical boost, electrical stability, and influencing the fuel intake, to name a few. One of my favorites was the Cold Air Induction. Have you tried that before?

I had done those you had named.... groundings too, fuel-in-line (we have to be careful, as this tank, if too thin or too refine, it will cause FD go crazy), also will affect the tank strainerchange this first. I learnt the hard way... 

tire pressure yes 250 best

air filter -- some swear to alu filter but to me it will affect in the engine, more fine particles goes in.

had tried K&N filters to me still same...

1 hour ago, keltanky said:

I had done those you had named.... groundings too, fuel-in-line (we have to be careful, as this tank, if too thin or too refine, it will cause FD go crazy), also will affect the tank strainerchange this first. I learnt the hard way... 

air filter -- some swear to alu filter but to me it will affect in the engine, more fine particles goes in.

Mmm..FD? Whats that? Fuel distributor? Have not heard of that one..How about fuel magnets? Personally I'm not too convinced that fuel magnets really work. 

You mentioned its better to change the fuel strainer..how to do that?

21 hours ago, keltanky said:

Mmm..FD? Whats that? Fuel distributor? Have not heard of that one..How about fuel magnets? Personally I'm not too convinced that fuel magnets really work. 

Have you tried e-power before? I hv used before on another vehicle..a SUV..i hv not asked them regarding 200E though..they told me before, some products are for heavy vehicles...

Has any of you ever replaced the silencer below your car before? Or add one more? That saves petrol too..n your engine runs quieter...but you lose a few horses...a fair exchange? You decide..

On Fri Feb 17 2017 at 2:28 PM, keltanky said:

Few days ago, I topped up my tank with 60 litres petrol in jb. Was abit concerned that from full to half tank, i had clocked only 180 km. Had expected quite abit more. Anyway my verdict is not out till i reached empty.

How's the experience of the other 200E owners here with regard to FC? Would like to hear from you all.

I recently fitted ONE piece of Cyclone 3 in my air intake hosing..throttle response slightly improved, I'm hoping FC will also increased over time.

Will update again when i hv applied my other plans for my ride. Waiting for inputs as well from the other bros here.

2 hours ago, JSnoob said:

Few days ago, I topped up my tank with 60 litres petrol in jb. Was abit concerned that from full to half tank, i had clocked only 180 km. Had expected quite abit more. Anyway my verdict is not out till i reached empty.

How's the experience of the other 200E owners here with regard to FC? Would like to hear from you all.

I recently fitted ONE piece of Cyclone 3 in my air intake hosing..throttle response slightly improved, I'm hoping FC will also increased over time.

Will update again when i hv applied my other plans for my ride. Waiting for inputs as well from the other bros here.

need proper tuning of CO and wheel balancing, 

control your right foot.... do the "initial D" method, press halfway only till speed reaches after 60km/h then can increase "pleasure" on your right foot,

On 2/17/2017 at 3:59 PM, JSnoob said:

FD = Fuel Distributor... 

Fuel Magnets don't think so also good la... only makes you feel good...

Fuel Strainer is under boot, best to change when fuel level is low. if not got to waste a lot of petrol